Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Stock oil gauge v. stock idiot light v. mechanical gauge (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/954801-stock-oil-gauge-v-stock-idiot-light-v-mechanical-gauge.html)

jonathan.e.green 05-06-2010 01:18 AM

Stock oil gauge v. stock idiot light v. mechanical gauge

On another thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...gets-warm.html) there is a discussion about oil pressure, and the topic of stock oil gauge reliability comes up.

Like many of us, I've got a stock gauge. Oil pressure might be the only thing in the world I'd prefer an idiot light for, because the light might get my attention better than a gauge in the 10 seconds or so you've got to shutdown in the event of a catastrophic loss of oil pressure.

All of that said... what's better? I'm sure an aftermarket gauge is better than the OE, but how reliable is an idiot light? Does anyone make a mechanical (or electrical, for that matter) oil gauge with a built in idiot light? That seems like nirvana.

And for those with aftermarket gauges already installed, what are good baseline numbers for oil pressure PSI in the different engines?

BigSix1 05-06-2010 05:29 AM

I feel the same way--in a given, six hour (night time) drive, I'm sure I'd be embarrassed by how few times I look at the oil pressure gauge. A combo (real) gauge and idiot light would be perfect.

Excellent questions--Subscribed!

tjc transport 05-06-2010 05:51 AM

well, your stock oil pressure gauge really is an idiot light. the stock sender is only an on off switch. so it either has pressure or it don't.
the gauge is just there to look pretty in the dash.

BigSix1 05-06-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 8856736)
well, your stock oil pressure gauge really is an idiot light. the stock sender is only an on off switch. so it either has pressure or it don't.
the gauge is just there to look pretty in the dash.

No, the stock gauge is not "an idiot light," for several reasons, the first being that it's not a "light." The OP is interested in having a visual warning, (i.e., a suddenly-illuminated light) to indicate catastrophic pressure loss, instead of having to stare at the fake "gauge" every few seconds. The OP is saying he wants a light to alert him to look at the guage--and preferably, an actual gauge, instead of the stock on/off" indicator (fake gauge) you correctly describe.

mprice 05-06-2010 09:27 AM

On the Chevys they had both real gauges (temp and oil with real units for both) AND a light that said something like "LOOK AT TEH @!#%%! GAUGES!!" when any of them read high.

nstueve 05-06-2010 09:29 AM

yes they make them... We use VR's in the figure 8 cars out here... You can set them to the limit you want so the warning light will illuminate when the oil pressure drops below the limit you set it at...
VR Speed Factory - EVO, DSM & WRX Performance Parts - 52mm Premium Peak/Warning Gauges - Prosport Premium 52mm Oil Pressure Peak / Warning Gauge

Cyberdyne also makes some that we have used but it wont match the interior as well...
Tognotti's Auto / Truck / Import World

AutoMeter also makes a good guage and I think some of them come with a red LED warning light... You'd have to call and ask someone or look up each meter online to see what each does...
AutoMeter Ultra-Lite Gauges - Autometer Speedometer, Autometer Tachometer, Vacuum, Water Temperature & Autometer Boost Ultra-Lite Gauges

OP Guage with an idiot light is not a new concept... They are already out there. You just have to go find one you like and install it.

DBGrif91 05-06-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by nstueve (Post 8857106)
Cyberdyne also makes...

That's the same company that manufactured the Terminator... I don't know if I'd trust them. :D

LCAM-01XA 05-06-2010 11:01 AM

How about the following:

1) you take your gauge cluster apart, locate the resistor behind the oil pressure gauge and remove/jump it, then install an oil pressure sender for an '80s truck (they had real gauges) at a convenient location on the engine.

2) you splice the wires off the factory oil pressure switch into the wires for the coolant temperature switch that triggers the red engine light.

You get both a decent gauge and a warning light for the price of an oil pressure sender and a few hours of wiring if you take your sweet time.

nstueve 05-06-2010 12:51 PM

I personally hate wiring... it's not that hard and I've done it before but i'd rather not mess with my OEM wiring (knowing myself i'd mess something up)... But yes that would work too and wouldn't cost as much if you like playing with your wires...

The only problem with that wiring set up is that you'd have to wait for the engine to become hot enough to trip the engine light... And by that time you might already have engine troubles... I thought the point of the OP guage was to give and immediate warning light to the driver of low OP...???

jonathan.e.green 05-06-2010 01:18 PM

Thanks everyone.

I don't think I'd care to delve into rewiring the factory gauge cluster. I'm looking to prevent problems, not cause them. I'll have to have a look at those gauges nstueve mentioned. I figured someone had thought of the idea (and after mprice mentioned it, I also recall the "Check Gauges" light in some GMs); hence I asked.

Also and again - once I get a real gauge, what should the pressure read in the 300 EFI?

phoneman91 05-06-2010 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mprice (Post 8857099)
On the Chevys they had both real gauges (temp and oil with real units for both) AND a light that said something like "LOOK AT TEH @!#%%! GAUGES!!" when any of them read high.

All makes of vehicles should have a combination of warning lights AND gauges!

Why manufacturers will spend money on cup holders and fog lights and NOT have warning lights and guages to protect your investment in your vehicle-I cant understand!

nstueve 05-06-2010 02:03 PM

I plan on putting the one from VR in my ride depending on size and what not. I will be buying a idiot light and OP guage in one... Just in case any friends borrow my truck...

quicklook2 05-06-2010 04:07 PM

oil pressure varies with different conditions even for the same motor.

khadma 05-06-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by quicklook2 (Post 8858494)
oil pressure varies with different conditions even for the same motor.

It sure does, 75 psi or so at start up, 25 psi or so at idle, 50 psi on the throttle. Psi always fluctuates. Shouldnʻt it?
Add a real gauge, all my trucks have them.

Eddiec1564 05-06-2010 06:03 PM

Ok, there's some confusion on how the oil gauge on the 80 to 86 trucks operates.

These year trucks are true gauges that should show aprox oil pressure, Ford did the "idiot gauge" starting in 88. Now if you happen to use a 88 and up oil sending unit on the 86 and below, the gauge will not read and stay low. I know as some part's monkey gave me the wrong sending unit for my 84 F250 and after "making a point" got the correct one.

The 20 ohm resistor bypass is only for the 88 and up trucks and use the on/off type sending unit. I think it opens at 4 to 10 PSI and that makes the gauge show low.

You can make up a "low oil pressure" indicator by using a correct sending unit tee'd in with the original sending unit. I also though about making a buzzer activate with the indicator so I can see and hear a problem before a worse noise happens!