Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/954150-thinking-about-an-official-petition-to-bring-back-the-manual-transmission.html)

F350JOHN 05-03-2010 08:44 PM

Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Call it silly if you want... but in 2008 Ford tried to get rid of the 6-speed but it came back mid year - I believe.

I would buy a 2011 in a heart beat if I could get the hand shaker back...my '04 F-350 will have to do for now.

What do you guys think?

Technical information that I have read states that the new 6.7L PSD has a commercial style bellhousing pattern...that could be a good thing.

My perfect truck would be:

2011 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW 4x4
manual transmission, manual 4x4 floor lever
6.7L Powerstroke
Black leather
Red exterior

F350JOHN 05-03-2010 09:06 PM

Anyone?:-X16

radzer0 05-03-2010 09:24 PM

I wanna see a dual clutch setup. If you dont know what it is, basicly its a manual transmission fully computer controled. No pedals or shifting to worry about but you get the power and feel of a manual when driving.

Best of both words IMO, if you havent experenced it go drive a BMW M6 at the local dealership. Its a feeling out this world

sdetweil 05-03-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by F350JOHN (Post 8847809)
Call it silly if you want... but in 2008 Ford tried to get rid of the 6-speed but it came back mid year - I believe.

I would buy a 2011 in a heart beat if I could get the hand shaker back...my '04 F-350 will have to do for now.

What do you guys think?

Technical information that I have read states that the new 6.7L PSD has a commercial style bellhousing pattern...that could be a good thing.

My perfect truck would be:

2011 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW 4x4
manual transmission, manual 4x4 floor lever
6.7L Powerstroke
Black leather
Red exterior

unfortunately, you are in the severe minority.. most younguns that compnies hire don't know how to drive a stick.. (I trained all my kids).. so companies, who buy 95% of the volume, aren't asking for it. then us few 5% left in the personal market, only probably 1% of those really care..

so, it doesn't make sense financially.. they gave you almost as good with manual control of the auto, and gear lockout..

Sam

Tomahawk 05-03-2010 09:35 PM

And you can't get the rear locker without the electronic shift on the fly.
I do like the new manual shift buttons, it's just like changing gears on my ATV. Test drive a 2011 and give it a try. I loved it, very cool.

I agree with your prefect truck, except make mine silver.

FishOnOne 05-03-2010 10:00 PM

I going to say this cautiously and don't want to disturb anyone, but with the 6.0 psd/torque shift tranny combo was the beginning of the end for the manual trany.

Also with alot (but not all) people having reported problems getting heavy loads moving with the 6.0 psd, I'm wandering if this why the manual, has litterally disappeared from these trucks? In addition that the auto (torque shift) has proven to be a reliable tranny.

There's got to be some serious interest to make Ford drop a manual back into the Super Duty at this point.

guthrie&co 05-03-2010 10:09 PM

Yep. I had a manual and went to an auto with my 7.3 then on to the tqshift 6.0. Love it would never consider anything else. i can handle heavy loads in the high country much better.

F350JOHN 05-04-2010 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 8848233)
I going to say this cautiously and don't want to disturb anyone, but with the 6.0 psd/torque shift tranny combo was the beginning of the end for the manual trany.

Also with alot (but not all) people having reported problems getting heavy loads moving with the 6.0 psd, I'm wandering if this why the manual, has litterally disappeared from these trucks? In addition that the auto (torque shift) has proven to be a reliable tranny.

There's got to be some serious interest to make Ford drop a manual back into the Super Duty at this point.

The 6.0L/6-speed is a great combo, but I will say the gearing is a little off. They tried to do away with the manual in '08, but it came back mid-year...If all of us hand shakers unite something good could come of it.

My '04 is one of the rare trucks that doesnt have a single problem (W/113K miles) I also get 18-23mpg consistantly. It's been a great truck and I have no real complaints. I would like to see Ford give us a choice again. I could care less how great the 6-speed auto is. When it comes time to replace or repair ... watch out $$$

radzer0 05-04-2010 01:15 AM

Also remember fords choices on manuals. The more people that want it. They less they entertain the idea (think mercury maurauder) It took a outside company to buy them from ford.. put in a stick and resell for the car to make it.

ruschejj 05-04-2010 04:16 AM

Maybe you should take the opportunity to buy up all the 6 speed manuals you can find and develop a kit to be sold aftermarket. Then you would also have "core" units of the new 6R100 Torqshift automatics sitting around and you could sell those to the 6.4/6.0 guys as a kit.

origcharger 05-04-2010 11:29 AM

Even if Ford would decide to offer a manual tranny, there is no guarantee they could/would do it with an engine putting out 735 ft lbs. of torque.

gp42gpw 05-04-2010 11:44 AM

I cannot understand why they don't have a 6Spd. some of us like to shift and now we can't in a new ride. Not fair.
Glen
05 F-350 4x4 Reg Cab PSD 6Spd.

sdetweil 05-04-2010 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by gp42gpw (Post 8849840)
I cannot understand why they don't have a 6Spd. some of us like to shift and now we can't in a new ride. Not fair.
Glen
05 F-350 4x4 Reg Cab PSD 6Spd.

because it costs millions to develop and support, and there aren't enough paying customers to justify the cost. they added features in the new tranny, manual shift and gear lockout to give 75-80% of the manual function to satisfy the majority of the customer requirements..

Sam

bpounds 05-04-2010 12:53 PM

Per the visiting engineer, ~1% take rate.

http://www.billpounds.com/beatingdeadhorse.gif

Life is too short. Get over it.

gp42gpw 05-04-2010 12:59 PM

Does anyone know what they charge for the auto? I know its the only option but when I got my truck in 05 the auto was almost two grand more. That was a chunk of change for me. I can't wait to drive a new 6.7 I drove the 6.4L and was not impressed enough to dump 6.0L. The reviews I have read say it is a beast. I guess a ride to the dealer is in order.