Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   header ques. 1994 f250 5.8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/953196-header-ques-1994-f250-5-8-a.html)

daddyhock 04-30-2010 03:27 PM

header ques. 1994 f250 5.8

Hey guys, need some help
my 351 windsor/5.8 has the stock exhaust manifolds that i want to change over to a pair of shorty headers.
the problem i have been having is finding headers that have the threaded
bungs on them for my emissions... my driver side header has a threaded pipe that is off the back(next to firewall) passenger side has threaded pipe that turns upwards and has something attached to it ..but all the headers i find dont look like they have these...any help would be great..

rla2005 04-30-2010 04:59 PM

Where does the fitting on the driver's side lead to? None of my Lightnings or my current '92 F350 w/5.8L engine has any attachments on the driver's side. There is a EGR pipe fitting on the passenger side.

Conanski 04-30-2010 05:08 PM

Does your truck still have a cat or even more important do you have emissions tests to pass? If not then remove the smog plumbing and install the headers you want.

daddyhock 04-30-2010 05:15 PM

The pipe on the driverside,turns and goes behind the head and is hooked to something back behind the head and intake

daddyhock 04-30-2010 05:37 PM

yes it still has the cat. it also has a smog pump,and no i dont have any emmissions tests where i am. but i dont want to have to take the smog pump off?i would assume my truck has the california emissions.

MCarlson 04-30-2010 06:05 PM

I just put the Bassani's on my Bronco. Too soon to tell exactly how much better everything runs or not but I can tell you they bolted in perfectly. Got the new y-pipe from them at the same time. You get what you pay for and installation wise I can say the Bassani set up was worth the money.
Mike

Conanski 04-30-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by daddyhock (Post 8835671)
yes it still has the cat. it also has a smog pump,and no i dont have any emmissions tests where i am. but i dont want to have to take the smog pump off?i would assume my truck has the california emissions.

The smog(air) pump does not have to come off if you remove the smog plumbing, you could just leave it there as an idler.

daddyhock 05-01-2010 05:54 AM

ok, if i take off the smog plumbing and leave the pump,wouldnt there be some kind of noise like pushing air coming from the smog pump?and if the egr is what is out of the passenger side exhaust manifold,all the headers i am seeing does not have a threaded bung for the egr either?

Conanski 05-01-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by daddyhock (Post 8837599)
ok, if i take off the smog plumbing and leave the pump,wouldnt there be some kind of noise like pushing air coming from the smog pump?

Not if you reattach the outlet muffler directly to the pump and leave the intake muffler as is. Those are the two cylindrical things on the passenger inner fender right behind the battery.

Originally Posted by daddyhock (Post 8837599)
and if the egr is what is out of the passenger side exhaust manifold,all the headers i am seeing does not have a threaded bung for the egr either?

Smog legal headers for these trucks will have EGR and O2 bungs and some may even have the smog attachments. These bungs are clearly visible on these Ford Shorty headers for example. Do a search on the Summitracing web site and you'll see literally dozens of headers for this truck, most of them with these fittings.
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...9430-t58_w.jpg

daddyhock 05-01-2010 11:11 AM

@conanski those in the picture are exactley what i need,and those are the frrp..but they are 450.00 , i was wanting half as cheap..but if i cant find any cheaper i will go with those..all other pics on summit look like a un threaded tube out the front of the passenger side exhaust header, and they all look to big for my pipe to thread to...but thanks for all the help i think i just might go with the frpp. and my o2 sensor is just a few inches in front of my cat? if that helps

42x 05-01-2010 01:16 PM

I believe Conanski has a photo of welding on a threaded bung to screw the O2 sensor into the headers. Pretty cheap fix.
The only things I would say about installing headers is somethimes the more expensive ones fit better. I picked up some inexpensive headers and had to massage (hammer and punch) the exhaust tubes around the nut area for several nuts. I had to put in studs to support some of the misc parts and pieces - ie the dip stick holder, fuel injection support brackets, smog housing...
The other thing I took away from this installation was not to bother with ceramic coating as the coating was compromised during the "massage". Pain to clean then paint with high temp.

Conanski 05-01-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by daddyhock (Post 8838480)
@conanski those in the picture are exactley what i need,and those are the frrp..but they are 450.00 , i was wanting half as cheap..

You're shoping in the wrong place, they're only $329 at Summit. Those Ford shorties are stainless steel too so they'll last forever. Ford Racing M-9430-T58 - Ford Racing Hi-Flow Shorty Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Painted Flowtech headers are much cheaper but you may want to check with them before buying to find out of the EGR fitting on this is threaded to accept the factory EGR tube.. Flowtech 91668FLT - FlowTech Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Pacesetter headers are another brand a few guys have had good luck with.. PaceSetter Performance 70-1323 - PaceSetter Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

sainsane 09-04-2014 04:19 PM

smog and headers

I do have California emissions on my 96 f-150 5.8L I was hoping to get info with putting them on and removing the cats completely for better exhaust flow. Do need to have the computer re-flashed or what do you recommend

rla2005 09-04-2014 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sainsane (Post 14640198)
I do have California emissions on my 96 f-150 5.8L I was hoping to get info with putting them on and removing the cats completely for better exhaust flow. Do need to have the computer re-flashed or what do you recommend

Welcome to FTE!

Please start your own thread instead of tagging onto a 4 year old thread.