Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Emergency/TurnSignal Flasher (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/952379-emergency-turnsignal-flasher.html)

hdunlap 04-27-2010 04:00 PM

Emergency/TurnSignal Flasher

Hello and Help!
I am no stranger when it comes to visiting/reading the forums on this site but I must admit it;s been awhile since posting. I recently purchased a 67 F100 2wd with a transplanted 460 engine and C6 automatic transmission. I really like this truck as well as my 1971 F100 daily driver. The problem I am having with the 67 is getting the turn signal and brake lights to work. So far I have replaced the turn signal switch, traced wires for bad connections/grounds, and checked for blown fuses/bulbs. When I removed the instrument panel I discovered that this truck unlike my 71 only has one flasher. What I believe to be the flasher is square gold/brass colored and was mounted with two screws to the right of the steering colum to a bracket behind the instrument panel. What I believe to be the flasher had two wires connected to it and one of the wires is red with a white stripe and the other wire is red. Since I didn't have a replacement for what I think is the flasher I connected the wires to a regular round emergency flasher. Since connectiing the wires both turnsignals in the front work, the emergency flashers work, and the driver side turn signal in the rear works. The rear passenger side turn signal does not work and the brakelight on the driver side does not work. In addition to the problems listed above when I apply the brakes with the turn signal or emergency flashers on none of the lights will work. Short of knowing what else to do I figure if I could get/replace the original flasher that might solve the problems I am having with the turn signals and the brake lights. Is the type of flasher discribed above common to the 67's and if so where could I get a replacement flasher? Sorry for the long post but my next question is does the one original flasher work both the turn signals and the emergency lights? Thanks for your help in advance and I want to say what a great site this is and I can't count the times the information posted here has helped me to solve problems with my daily driver.
Howard

phyrekitsune 04-28-2010 02:14 AM

Assuming you found the correct item as the flasher unit, just about any two prong flasher will perform as it needs to. The thing that concerns me is that there is sometimes a 7 volt regulator for the fuel and temp gauges that you need and I first thought you'd substituted that. Gauges still work? Is the behavior now any different from before changing the flasher?

On my 69 F100, when I have the emergency flashers running and step on the brake, the lights go solid, but that is the only time this happens.

Oh, and the same flasher runs signals and hazards.

hdunlap 04-28-2010 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by phyrekitsune (Post 8823788)
Assuming you found the correct item as the flasher unit, just about any two prong flasher will perform as it needs to. The thing that concerns me is that there is sometimes a 7 volt regulator for the fuel and temp gauges that you need and I first thought you'd substituted that. Gauges still work? Is the behavior now any different from before changing the flasher?

On my 69 F100, when I have the emergency flashers running and step on the brake, the lights go solid, but that is the only time this happens.

Oh, and the same flasher runs signals and hazards.

First thanks for your response. I now know that the item I described in my initial post is the emergency/turn signal flasher. I know that from a search I did on this site since my last post. I haven't made anymore progess since hooking up a regular flasher from what I posted in my initial post. I have since verified using the instructions that I received with the new turn signal switch that to my knowledge the wires are hooked up correctly. This weekend with the help of my neighbor maybe we can figure out what I did wrong. If we can't get the lights to work then I guess I have to make some calls to the local Auto Electrical shops and find out what they charge to fix it. Again thanks for your response and have a great American Day.

phyrekitsune 04-28-2010 04:24 PM

You're quite welcome for the response. Best of luck in your efforts to fix your odd problem with the lights.

NumberDummy 05-01-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by phyrekitsune (Post 8823788)
The thing that concerns me is that there is sometimes :-huh sometimes? a 7 volt regulator for the fuel and temp gauges that you need and I first thought you'd substituted that.

Oh, and the same flasher runs signals and hazards. :-huh
No, it does not. Take another look, and you will see two individual flashers!

The thing that concerns me is...your info is in-correct.

All 1957/86 F Series trucks have an ICVR = Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator. It either bolts to the back of the cluster, or with a printed circuit, snaps onto it.

1967/69 F100/750: C6DZ10804A .. ICVR (Motorcraft GR510).

1970 F100/350: C9AZ10804A .. ICVR (Motorcraft GR512).

1971/86 F100/350: D1AZ10804A .. ICVR (Motorcraft GR513).
-------------------------------------------------------------
All 1967/96 F Series trucks have two flashers. One for the turn signals, a H/D unit for the 4 way emergency flashers.

The H/D flasher (D1FZ13350A [Motorcraft SF552B]) can be substituted for the turn signal flasher (C5AZ13350B [Motorcraft SF224]), but not the other way around.

The turn signal flasher attaches to the back of the instrument cluster. The 4 way flasher is remotely mounted.

Some are mounted adjacent to the glove box liner. Some are mounted between the radio and the instrument cluster.

phyrekitsune 05-01-2010 11:17 AM

Thanks for the correction, Bill. I wasn't sure if all the trucks had the ICVR, hence why I said sometimes. I also made the assumption the same flasher ran both sets of circuits because I only knew of the one behind the cluster.

68horses 05-01-2010 12:02 PM

Howard,
From the symptoms you describe, I would guess that a couple/few of the wires on the turn signal switch are crossed. Not all of the color codes match up correctly on many of the switches/trucks. If you still have the old switch, I suggest you carefully dismantle it and probe around with a meter or continuity tester to understand how it functions. VERY informative. By the way, do all four corners flash when the flashers are on? And is it possible that when you apply the brakes (with signals and flashers off) that one of the front lights comes on? Understand that the front turn signals have different outputs from the switch than the rears, as the rears are mechanically switched in the switch from turn signal to brake light function. Can be very confusing until you see the inner workings of a switch.
HTH Good Luck,
Gene

NumberDummy 05-01-2010 12:58 PM

The question is...did the OP install the correct TSS?

C9TZ13341C / Fits 1965/66 F100/250 2WD /1966 F100 4WD / 1967/68 F100/350 and 1969 F100/350 before serial number G30,001.

DOTZ13341B / Fits 1969 F100/350 from serial number G30,001 / 1970/72 F100/350.

Both switches are still available from Ford, both are the same price:

MSRP: $61.98 // FTE Ford Dealer Parts Dept sponsor PARTSGUYED.COM price: $44.63

hdunlap 05-03-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 68horses (Post 8838611)
Howard,
From the symptoms you describe, I would guess that a couple/few of the wires on the turn signal switch are crossed. Not all of the color codes match up correctly on many of the switches/trucks. If you still have the old switch, I suggest you carefully dismantle it and probe around with a meter or continuity tester to understand how it functions. VERY informative. By the way, do all four corners flash when the flashers are on? And is it possible that when you apply the brakes (with signals and flashers off) that one of the front lights comes on? Understand that the front turn signals have different outputs from the switch than the rears, as the rears are mechanically switched in the switch from turn signal to brake light function. Can be very confusing until you see the inner workings of a switch.
HTH Good Luck,
Gene

All, Thanks for the response. I ordered a new Turn Signal Switch from LMC however as Bill said it may not be the correct switch. At the time when I ordered the switch I didn't know the serial number had anything to do with ordering the correct switch. I ordered the switch using the year/model of the truck. I still have the old TS Switch and will check the wires again however IAW the instructions I received with the new switch to my knowledge the wires for the turn signal are hooked up correct. Leaving nothing to chance I will check the wires again. To date if my life depended on it I cannot find a second flasher however I do have some extra wires behind the instrument panel that are not connected to anything. Maybe the PO cut the wires for the TS Flasher because all the wires under the dash are like spaghetti running all over the place. The old turn signal had been cut and spliced together in the steering column and at the plug under the dash. The wiring diagram I am using does not show the number or the color of the wires that are supposed to be hooked up to the turn signal flasher so, my question is "what color are the wires for the turn signal flasher'. The lights that are now working are as follows: Both headlights (on bright and dim), both park lights (front and rear), both tail lights, both tag lights, and the front and rear emergency flashers, the passenger side turn signal, front, and the driver side turn signal front. The brake lights don't work and when you step on the brake paddle all the lights go off. Also, unless you have the ignition switch in the on posiion the only lights that will work are the service drive lights. The last idea I have is to use the information Bill provided and get another turn signal switch specifically for the truck and see what happens from there. Thanks and have a great American day! Howard

NumberDummy 05-03-2010 02:41 PM

Emergency flashers = The switch is inside the glovebox mounted on a bracket.

Ford used a wavy U shaped bracket for this flasher, which fits in between the legs of the U. The U shaped bracket screws to the backside of the dashboard...using one sheet metal screw.

All vehicles with emergency flashers thru at least 1996 have two flashers.

hdunlap 05-03-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8846286)
Emergency flashers = The switch is inside the glovebox mounted on a bracket.

Ford used a wavy U shaped bracket for this flasher, which fits in between the legs of the U. The U shaped bracket screws to the backside of the dashboard...using one sheet metal screw.

All vehicles with emergency flashers thru at least 1996 have two flashers.

Bill, i was able to find the emergency flasher switch and the emergency flasher. I repaced both with a new switch and the emergency flashers are now working. The flasher that i can't seem to locate is the turn signal flasher. I guess the PO cut the wires with the two prong flasher connector. Maybe if i knew what color the wires are i could hook up a new wires and a connector and who knows i might get lucky. In the mean time i am going to see about getting a new turn signal switch by year and serial number for specifically for a 1967 F100. Thanks, Howard

NumberDummy 05-03-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by hdunlap (Post 8846589)
The flasher that i can't seem to locate is the turn signal flasher.

Plugs into the back of the instrument cluster-far left (drivers) side.

jayrock67f100 11-17-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8846607)
Plugs into the back of the instrument cluster-far left (drivers) side.

No. I am having same issue. No turn signal there. No turn signal flasher on back of gauge cluster man..Sorry, not there.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0f23967323.jpg
I am thinking that this must be an early 66/67 thing. I too can not locate a turn signal flasher and there is only wires that connect to ONE flasher. I have a diagram that even shows this to be true. There is ONLY ONE. lol. I cant seem to find that trans-flasher anywhere!
It is clearly stated here that there is only one flasher that looks to be doing both; emergency and turn signal flashers.

NumberDummy 11-18-2016 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jayrock67f100 (Post 16728358)
No. I am having same issue. No turn signal there. No turn signal flasher on back of gauge cluster man..Sorry, not there.

ultraranger 11-18-2016 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by hdunlap (Post 8846183)
All, Thanks for the response. I ordered a new Turn Signal Switch from LMC however as Bill said it may not be the correct switch. At the time when I ordered the switch I didn't know the serial number had anything to do with ordering the correct switch. I ordered the switch using the year/model of the truck. I still have the old TS Switch and will check the wires again however IAW the instructions I received with the new switch to my knowledge the wires for the turn signal are hooked up correct. Leaving nothing to chance I will check the wires again. To date if my life depended on it I cannot find a second flasher however I do have some extra wires behind the instrument panel that are not connected to anything. Maybe the PO cut the wires for the TS Flasher because all the wires under the dash are like spaghetti running all over the place. The old turn signal had been cut and spliced together in the steering column and at the plug under the dash. The wiring diagram I am using does not show the number or the color of the wires that are supposed to be hooked up to the turn signal flasher so, my question is "what color are the wires for the turn signal flasher'. The lights that are now working are as follows: Both headlights (on bright and dim), both park lights (front and rear), both tail lights, both tag lights, and the front and rear emergency flashers, the passenger side turn signal, front, and the driver side turn signal front. The brake lights don't work and when you step on the brake paddle all the lights go off. Also, unless you have the ignition switch in the on posiion the only lights that will work are the service drive lights. The last idea I have is to use the information Bill provided and get another turn signal switch specifically for the truck and see what happens from there. Thanks and have a great American day! Howard

There are two connectors coming off the steering column TSS that plugs into the two corresponding connectors on the main wiring harness under the dash. The one small connector coming off the column with two terminals goes to the brake lights. These are wires 282 and 283.

(wiring colors MAY vary but) 282 should/could be a Green wire that goes to the right brake light. 283 should/could be a Yellow-Black striped wire that goes to the left brake light.

The two connectors coming off the TSS in diagrams below.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c3e17d386b.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...fa5512b221.jpg