Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Rod Doors ABS Headliner Kit Install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/95088-rod-doors-abs-headliner-kit-install.html)

fatfenders 01-29-2003 01:13 PM

Rod Doors ABS Headliner Kit Install

I am beginning the install of a Rod Doors headliner in my 53 F100. I intend to do a tech article eventually. I am not certain I can without Rod Doors permission. I know there is interest from other forum participants in the Rod Doors line of products. I started this thread to get input from you guys. I have limited interior or upholstery experience and hope your input will make a better tech article as well as a better install in my truck.

I intend to post PICs of the Rod Doors Kit, total cost for project, materials list, fabric installation, final installation of covered panels. I welcome your questions and comments. A seminar this is not. It is intended to be a step by step workshop on how to install a specific kit. If you wish to discuss other methods of headliner resto such as suspended or panelboard, please start a separate thread to keep this one from getting too large and cumbersome.

Thanks

fatfenders 01-29-2003 01:22 PM

Here is the three piece kit. Also included are basic instructions and foil backed insulation for the roof.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...eceuf1_584.jpg

Here are the side pieces. Note they are tongue and groove.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfenders/tandg2_600.jpg

The groove appears to be sufficiently wide to allow fabric installation.

ferguson777 01-29-2003 02:57 PM

'fenders,

I can think of no possible reason why you would need Rod Door's permission to do such an article. I simple email to them with an outline of what you have planned would give them the chance to comment but, how could they possibly have any legal right to prevent you from doing an article on your experieince installing their product or why would they want to stifle it?

Go ahead! You know we'll help you where we can. You know we're here for you (like always). With freinds like us.......

We always knew he was a talker. Lately we discovered he sings too. Now he's gonna be a writer! Gosh, I'm so proud!!!

:D

Jag Red 54 01-29-2003 03:01 PM

Hey Fenders, thanks for starting this project. I too will be installing the kit you are working on. I will be following this thread closely. John

fatfenders 01-29-2003 03:47 PM

Let's break tradition and start by reading the directions. They can also be seen at roddoors.com I am certain that some further detail will be required here. Especially when we put on the fabric.

Tools required (Not included):
Utility Knife
ABS Pipe Glue
Tape Measure

(1) Can Spray Adhesive
Sanding Block (80 Grit)
Lay out all pieces (included):
Large Center Section Marked for either '53-'55, '56 small window or '56 big window.
Driver/ Passenger side Panels Marked for either '53-'55, '56 small window or '56 big window.
Insulation material 4' x 5'

1) Glue insulation material onto roof of cab with a high temperature contact adhesive. Trim to fit; insulation should be placed between the roof and the center brace. Do not glue insulation over center roof brace.
2) We recommend using a new original Headliner to Roof Rubber Seal (not included). If the rear window rubber is still pliable and flexible it need not be replaced.
NOTE: If using a Rear Cab Cover also, order the extra long seal (196") and run it flush to the floor.
3) Starting at the floor, lay out the rubber seal around the doors and over the front windshield and press over pinch weld. Once in place install headliner retaining clips.
From the floor up 6" there is a support bracket. On each side of the cab cut 6" off the backside of the Rubber Seal with a razor knife. Use one or two pop rivets or screws to hold that portion of the seal to the cab.
4) Cover all pieces with upholstery fabric. Use only a high temperature contact adhesive (3M Spray 90). Start in the center; spray both the backs of the fabric and the panel - 2 square feet at a time. Take Your Time. If the fabric has a grain or a pattern keep it straight on the center of the panel.
NOTE: Center Panel
5) Trim the fabric flush to all the edges of the center panel. On the side panels trim the fabric flush to the panel on any edge that will be tucked under a rubber seal, wrap fabric around edge that butts up to center section, and below rear window.
6) With chalk measure and mark the rubber at the center of the cab at the windshield and the rear window. Mark the fabric (with chalk) on the center section panel at the notch.
7) Slightly bend the center section and slide the front edge into rubber seal above the front window, align chalk marks. Press the center section tight to the roof, and slip the rear edge behind the rear window rubber. Check chalk marks for alignment.
NOTE: Most problems with fit are caused by misalignment of the center section.
8) Side panels, starting at the middle of the center section slide the front edge of the side panel groove under the center section. Keeping the center section in the groove slide the side panel forward (toward the windshield) until it can be slipped under the rubber seal around the top of the door. Next pry back the rear window rubber and slip the side panel behind the rubber. Continue placing the side panel under rubber seal behind the door.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
Gaps Check your chalk marks. Misalignment will cause gapping.
Side panel not pushed to the front Should overlap center section.
Side panel won't slide in or stay in groove Pull the center section down a bit to get the side panel channel started sliding forward. Fabric on the center panel not trimmed flush to the edge, making it too bulky.
Rubber seal gaps Retainer clips need to be adjusted; rubber pulled too tight or too loose.

fatfenders 01-29-2003 03:56 PM

I had added items to the Rod Doors materials and tools list. I am including cost estimates as well. As you can see, it will be nearly impossible to do this job for under $300 using quality fabric. Keep in mind a complete professional interior can cost $5000 and it doesn't seem so bad.

Materials

Headliner kit (includes panels, roof insulation) $170 + 30 S/H

Fabric 54” wide roll approximately 75 inches long
-3 to 3 1/2 square yards including waste $25-80 per yard for automotive grade
-You will have waste due to 54” wide auto fabric standard but pieces are large enough to be used for visors, kick panels etc.

Sculpting foam (optional for raised design) $5 YD (estimate)

Spray glue 1-2 cans, 3M 90, High temp $10 per can

80 grit sandpaper 1 sheet $1

Tools

Large scissors (sharp)

Tape Measure

Utility knife, I keep single edge razor blades around as well

New 4” bondo spreader

Pencils, chalk, non-permanent markers etc.

Anyone think of anything else???

Jag Red 54 01-29-2003 06:00 PM

Hi Fenders, I just remembered that when I was picking the brain of the Rod Doors rep, he, in no uncertain terms, told me that no matter how tempting it was, I should not trim the roof panels. Apparently, a lot of customers have trimmed the panels because they thought that they were too big only to find out later that they just did not have the pieces in the proper positions. (Just a word to the wise.) Good luck, John

ferguson777 01-29-2003 06:58 PM

'fenders,

Out of curiosity and germain to the topic as well;

1. What sort of upholstery material will you be using and is it fairly thick or what? (A picture wouldn't hurt)

2. Do you plan to do any sculpting? If so, then before, during and after pictures as well plse.

(Notice how nice I am to you when I want something?)

:)

jniolon 01-29-2003 07:14 PM

I'm following along closely... my plans include the rod door interior as well..

pay attention to the term "HI TEMP" adhesive... don't cheap out and use 3M #77 :( or you'll be looking under your headliner or pinning it back up to the backing.... :'(

Remember the late 70's GM cars... bad adhesive (and bad foam)... #77 is NOT a hi temp adhesive and will let go in the summer after some good exposure to 120° inside temps... :-fire ...

spend a few extra bucks and get the good stuff... you only want to do this once... don't ask me how I know :-X16

keep up the good documentary DeWayne... seems everyone is interested in this... and I'd like to see the material as well...

later

john:-X06

BTW do you plan on installing an overhead console ??? if so how ???

fatfenders 01-29-2003 07:35 PM

All

I am a few days ahead on the PICs and documentary. This project has many steps and I thought I would not jam it down your throats all at once.

I hear you on the adhesive John N. If someone has a moment, check out the characteristics of some of the different 3M spray adhesives. If not, I will get around to it myself fairly soon. I believe I used 80088 for my door panels and loved the work time. 77 is definitely cheap stuff.

John T. I won't trim the panels as the stuff looks to be very precisely made. I also am not going to do a test fit before upholstery. I may regret it but here is my reasoning. The ABS is fairly sharp and I will end up messing up my paint and the soft rubber glass seals which show. I can deal with trimming after covering with fabric if I absolutely have to.

RMF I have all the fabric, PICS are already taken before and after cutting etc. It is close to graphite gray and can be seen at my webpage on my flamed door panels. I am reasonably skilled at sculpting but it's not risk free and I don't have $400 to risk at this time so I am doing a smoothy. I would be happy to do another thread and sculpt something else for you.

If I get some time later, I will post a few more PICs tonight.

jniolon 01-29-2003 07:51 PM

from the 3m web page... spray adhesives page

3M™ Contact 80, Neoprene Adhesive

3M™ Contact 80 Neoprene Adhesive has exceptional resistance to plasticizing oils. Bonds rubber and supported vinyls better than many typical bulk neoprene contact adhesives. It has true neoprene contact adhesive strength and high heat resistance over 200 degrees F (93 degrees C). Sprays right where you want it, up to the edge, not over. Misting and overspray are reduced. Has a 30 minute open time.

3M™ Pressure Sensitive Spray Adhesive 72 Blue

It permits wide-area bonds to be made hours after spraying and easy repositioning of bonds. Provides strong bonds for adhering plastic, foam padding, carpet backing, polyethylene, polypropylene and many other materials to fiberglass, plastics, and particle board.

3M™ High Tack Spray Adhesive 76

This product can effectively bond many hard to hold materials such as polyethylene. It can bond rubber, fabric, felt, cardboard, cork, foil, and many plastics to themselves and to wood, metal, glass, and other surfaces.

3M™ Super 77™ Spray Adhesive 77

Bonds quickly in 15 seconds. Low VOCs. Does not contain ozone-depleting CFCs. Versatile. Securely bonds many lightweight materials. Low soak-in for long lasting bond. Long bonding range.

80 seems to be the best all around choice...

john

fatfenders 01-29-2003 07:54 PM

Here are a couple PICs of my cab roof. I know you have all seen an F100 roof before. Notice the insulation. It has been there a year. It is nothing more than decent quality carpet pad. It molds to the curves beautifully as is cheap. It's already in there and seems to be holding up very well so everyone pretend I glued the stuff from Rod Doors up. It looks very similar except the kit came with a foil back. I don't live in Arizona so I think I'll be fine.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...lation_745.jpg

And the next PIC is my domelight area. I fully intended to install a stock style domelight. Question is what is the least risky way to cut ABS plastic? Remember that taking the liner in and out of the truck will start scratching stuff up. Cutting the hole wrong would not be good either. I await suggestions?

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...melight747.jpg

fatfenders 01-29-2003 08:11 PM

Here are the panels prior to cutting. Most auto fabrics are directional so you have to run all the fabric the same direction. I am matching the direction it lays on my seat which is already done. Notice the massive waste. You can't rotate the cloth a quarter turn where panels meet or it looks like a completely different color. I always leave a few inches all around the edges to make thew gluing easier later. I saved my visors to do afterwards to use up the waste material. Wish I had waited for my kick panels too.

You are looking at the fabric reverse side. Always lay the panels facing the way they are glued. Or you end up with two lefts and zero rights or vice-versa on your directional pieces. Know what I mean? The center panel is idiot proof as it is symetrical.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...btrim1_747.jpg

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...btrim1_775.jpg

While we are on the subject of fabric. Good fabric will stretch somewhat and conform to the contours. It will also resist glue soak through to a degree. WalMart Naugahide can be used on door panels but probably not here.

This is it for tonight. I do have larger PICs I can email if we get to something of particular interest to someone. I will buy some glue and we will proceed soon.

DS02F250 01-29-2003 08:25 PM

I am curious to see how the Rod Doors product(s) meet your standards of fitment, workability, and adaptability to material, etc.

I am interested in the steering column cover to hide wires and for security reasons on the GM column.

Daryl

jniolon 01-29-2003 08:38 PM

fenders,

can you tell where the dome light hole needs to be by measuring up from the window trim ?? then lay out the hole... I'm sure you'd have at least 1/4-1/2" trim cover... make your mark and use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel for the cuts... just a suggestion

john