Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Performance/Acceleration Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/950111-performance-acceleration-question.html)

scottmeiners 04-19-2010 03:39 PM

Performance/Acceleration Question

I have an 09 expy xlt that I bought used back in january. It has about 18,000 on it now. The question I have is about passing performance. Today on the expressway, I was rolling up to a line of traffic, so I let of the gas and was probably down to about 50 mph. Then I decided that i wanted to get out of the lane I was in, so I found a hole in traffic in the middle lane with enough room (I thought). So when I pulled out into the middle lane, I floored the gas and I just sat there for what seemed like an eternity before I started to accelerate, and by that time a car was right on my bumper, and not happy. I'm just wondering is this the limited slip kicking in? I don't think I have the RSC stuff, but do have traction control, but I'm not 100% sure, I don't have the logo on the back. Or is this just because of the 6 speed transmission having to figure out how far to downshift? I think it finally went down to about 3rd gear before I started accelerating. In my old chevy trailblazer ext, with the 5.3 v8, when I stomped on the gas, it just took off pretty good, but it did not have any stability/traction control or 6 gears. I'm just trying to figure out if I might have an "issue" or if this is just normal and I need to make sure that I adjust my driving some more.

Thanks,

Scott

Tylus 04-20-2010 02:19 AM

you aren't having any issues

the Transmission has an adaptive module where it learns your driving habits. Drive like Grandpa...it shifts that way. Drive it like you stole it...you get nice crisp shifts and better performance.

a side-effect of this however is what you are describing above. I'll bet you drive the Expy pretty easily most of the time? if so, the tranny isn't expecting that kind of action and isn't prepared.

Your Chevy had a different tranny control. That tranny is hardwired to shift at "X" point and do certain things. There isn't any variance built in. That is why it dug and went.

scottmeiners 04-20-2010 07:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I do kind of baby it some. I just know how much fuel it likes when I drive it hard.

chuck s 04-20-2010 08:42 AM

The manual contradicts itself saying in one place the adaptive transmission settings are not lost with battery disconnect and saying they need to be relearned in another.

I'm betting the settings are lost if the battery is disconnected for a period (say) overnight. Try it and drive aggressively (but safely, please) to learn your shift points.

Might work.

-- Chuck

berry1234 04-20-2010 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by chuck s (Post 8791523)
The manual contradicts itself saying in one place the adaptive transmission settings are not lost with battery disconnect and saying they need to be relearned in another.

I'm betting the settings are lost if the battery is disconnected for a period (say) overnight. Try it and drive aggressively (but safely, please) to learn your shift points.

Might work.

-- Chuck

I have disconnected my battery many times for long periods, it did not change the shift characteristics at all. Possibly it has more of a memory effect-it bases the shifting on the last 1,000 shifts.

montecarlo31 04-22-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8791014)
you aren't having any issues

the Transmission has an adaptive module where it learns your driving habits. Drive like Grandpa...it shifts that way. Drive it like you stole it...you get nice crisp shifts and better performance.

a side-effect of this however is what you are describing above. I'll bet you drive the Expy pretty easily most of the time? if so, the tranny isn't expecting that kind of action and isn't prepared.

Your Chevy had a different tranny control. That tranny is hardwired to shift at "X" point and do certain things. There isn't any variance built in. That is why it dug and went.

Both statements are incorrect here. I drive like grandpa in our 07 EL but I have no delay when I hit the gas as he described. There's something a miss there. Could have just missed the shift too. Fords 6 speed does leave a bit to be desired in the performance department I must say. I love the EL but it is very boring to drive day in and day out (let's be real these trucks are a 16 sec 1/4 mile turd).

His GM car does have adaptive shifting. GM's ECM/TCMs are much more advanced the fords bar none. They use data from more inputs and operate at a faster processor rate.

Tylus 04-23-2010 01:08 AM

discount what I said if you wish, but it's a known fact.

My 06 F-150 had the same "issues". It would occasionally get confused about which gear to be in, and the kick-down from O/D to 3rd or 2nd took it's sweet time occasionally. After the Supercharger install the adaptive shifting was turned off and the tranny was tuned to shift at predetermined points like the older models were. Shifts became much quicker and crisper.

all told, the Adaptive Strategy thing creates a big difference. When turned off, the performance gains from the tranny alone were huge. And I drove my truck fairly hard prior to the blower install/tune.

I haven't noticed anything really annoying with my 6 speed yet. I would actually say my Expy is pretty sporty for something that weighs over 6,000 lbs and only has 300 HP. Then again, I don't get to do any highway driving out here. Maybe one day I'll get to try it out

repguns 04-23-2010 07:31 AM

Tylus - can you lead me to a thread with info on the supercharger please. We just got this truck and it really needs some help in this department!

berry1234 04-23-2010 10:33 AM

Yeah, When I stomp on it it moves. Much better than the 05' F150, and the two 2000 Expies I owned.

gpfarrell 04-23-2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8804396)

I haven't noticed anything really annoying with my 6 speed yet. I would actually say my Expy is pretty sporty for something that weighs over 6,000 lbs and only has 300 HP. Then again, I don't get to do any highway driving out here. Maybe one day I'll get to try it out

I agree... although we do get to do a bit of highway driving with it and it's f-i-n-e. I've yet to have ours really loaded down weight wise, but with 3 adults and 3 kids dicing around in Washington DC beltway traffic it was fine.

gpfarrell 04-23-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by repguns (Post 8804818)
Tylus - can you lead me to a thread with info on the supercharger please. We just got this truck and it really needs some help in this department!

Admittedly, f-i-n-e isn't always enough. Finding a supercharger for an older 5.4 was pretty straightforward, but the 3V 6-speed combo is bit a little trickier.

Edelbrock is supposed to have one soon... look for the F150 kit and you'll find they intend to make an Expy/Navi version too. The F150 kit was supposed to be available Mid-March, but last I looked it's been pushed back to Mid-May.

If I decide f-i-n-e just ain't enough (and this has happened before!) I'd get in touch with Jerry Barnes at Trilogy International in Detroit, MI. His company made an awesome, dare I say legendary, kit for Mercury Marauders. Find the website motorcitymarauders dot com and look for the Trilogy forum inside of it for years of glowing testimonials. Trilogy is an engineering firm, not a marketing firm, so you won't find them tooting their own horn too much, but there are a hundreds of customers that can't say enough good things.

Jerry now has an F150 kit that should work on Expy/Navis too. Edelbrock makes great stuff, but having experienced the Trilogy goodies in my Marauder I'd spend my money on the man from Detroit.

n2umr 04-26-2010 07:34 PM

I can never understand why people dog the performance of this truck. I have a 2007 with 50000 miles on it and just got back from a trip to Myrtle beach (from western NY) with 4 adults and a child. I averaged over 18mpg going mostly over 70mph and when I needed to pass a punched it and off it went. I have never been at a loss for power with mine and I don't have any mods. I'd have to agree with tylus, I think it has plenty of power and sportiness for a 6000 pound truck. You want performance get a sports car and let the truck be a truck.

ford12508 04-26-2010 07:47 PM

Are you sure you hit the gas to the floor? I have a 1999 Expy with the 2V 5.4L, which has less power than your truck, and I have a 4 speed. I have no problem getting up and going when the time arises. Also, I don't think the traction control is the problem, because you said you were going 50MPH, I doubt you managed to get the tire to spin at that speed, thus making the truck engage the traction control.

Also, I don't know how much people will agree with this statement, but i will say it anyways. Did you make the lane change and then punch it? Have you thought about punching it before straightening the vehicle out completely in the other lane? Get 80% over and then take off, it is not like you are going to lose control of the vehicle at that speed, the tires will remain planted on the pavement.

Tylus 04-27-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by repguns (Post 8804818)

Originally Posted by gpfarrell (Post 8805941)
Admittedly, f-i-n-e isn't always enough. Finding a supercharger for an older 5.4 was pretty straightforward, but the 3V 6-speed combo is bit a little trickier.

Edelbrock is supposed to have one soon... look for the F150 kit and you'll find they intend to make an Expy/Navi version too. The F150 kit was supposed to be available Mid-March, but last I looked it's been pushed back to Mid-May.

Saleen actually produced a bolt-on blower for the 2007 Expy/Navi. was a 5 psi setup that produced 400 crank HP (+100 HP gain). Very nice kit
But they couldn't get it to pass the CARB crap for The Republik of Kalifornia. So Saleen dropped it. Since then Saleen has been sold and kinda went through a rebirth.

It still exists, but not as a Off the Shelf unit. The 5.4 3v in our Expy is the same as the 2004-2008 5.4 3v motor. We just have a different intake tube and MAF location. The blower would relocate that anyways...so the major hurdle is the tuning.
I suggest you contact BrenSpeed. They specialize in Fords and blowers. You should see their Sport-Trac Extreme...and the Mustangs are simply amazing. I've talked with them about getting the Saleen for my Expy...but where I live makes it too damn cost prohibative right now. Shipping/Handling is a killer.

now, the Edelbrock kit is a very nice kit...but they are a little bit deceptive about their blowers and the power gains. Edelbrock claims +140 HP gains on average for only 5 psi. What they fail to mention is that at max boost your motor is typically seeing 8-9.5 psi of boost.
it's fairly safe since the motor never sees that 8-9.5 psi of boost as a shock value...but :-X16

the 4.6/5.4 motors are safe for years of duty with 6-8 psi of boost. once you breach 8 psi, you are on borrowed time IMO