Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Max Load for factory installed roof rack? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/948635-max-load-for-factory-installed-roof-rack.html)

avesterg 04-14-2010 12:31 PM

Max Load for factory installed roof rack?

I searched thru the owner manual, but couldn't find any reference to the maximum load allowable on the factory installed roof rack on my 2007 Expedition. I want to buy a 21 cu ft roof-top carrier, and want to make sure that the factory rack system can handle the weight/load.

Anybody know? Thanks!

berry1234 04-14-2010 03:59 PM

I would guess 300-400 pounds total. I think the rood would start to buckle/dent before the plastic snapped though.

Tylus 04-14-2010 04:06 PM

pretty sure it says right on the rails 150 lbs. wife has the Expy right now so I can't check for you.

suggest you take a quick look

gddyup 04-14-2010 05:00 PM

I just ran outside and looked at mine. I can't find a sticker or label that gives me any info whatsoever for the factory roof rack....

I would guesstimate that each rail will be rated around 100 pounds. I have instaled roof racks on a number of Toyota/Lexus SUVs before and each rail was rated in that area.

I did a google search for the Ford rack but didn't find anything worthwhile....

chuck s 04-14-2010 05:50 PM

LUGGAGE RACK

Your vehicle is equipped with a roof
rack for transporting items on the
exterior of the vehicle. The
maximum recommended load to be
carried on the roof rack is 200 lbs
(90 kg), evenly distributed.
The
cross-bars can be adjusted by using
the thumbwheels at each end. Use
the tie-down loops on the
thumbwheels to secure load.

To adjust the position of the
cross-bar (if equipped):

1. Loosen the thumbwheel at both
ends of the cross-bar (both
cross-bars are adjustable).

2. Slide the cross-bar to the desired
location.

3. Firmly retighten the thumbwheels
at each end of the cross-bar.

Be sure to check that the thumbwheels are tight each time load is added
or removed from the roof rack, and periodically while traveling.
Always ensure that the load is secure before traveling.

Ford Motor Company recommends loading the roof rack only when
equipped with (optional) crossbars, to avoid unintended damage to the
roof panel.
Page 143 of my PDF version of the '07 manual. In the Driver Controls section.

-- Chuck

berry1234 04-14-2010 05:54 PM

So a body will fit nicely.

gddyup 04-14-2010 07:04 PM

Thanks Chuck! Seems as if most racks are probably going to be rated in that same rough area. I guess roof thickness and weight limits are pretty much close across the board for most manufacturers.

Good info to know because I plan on picking up a canoe for the family weekend outings this year. Maybe I can carry it on the roof or maybe not. :)

chuck s 04-15-2010 06:02 AM

I find having the PDF version of the owners manual very helpful in finding stuff although I had to constantly click Next when searching for "rack" as it stopped every time it found "track." Seems half the manual is devoted to the "entertainment systems."

Implied in Ford's note is that the weight should be on the cross bars, or at least much of it. That's how I read it. We've never used the rack.

Canoe? Just gotta hear your experience that THAT on the roof! ;)

-- Chuck

avesterg 04-15-2010 12:53 PM

thanks all - I had looked at the pdf of the manual but couldn't find it - was looking in the wrong spot! again, many thanks

gr8dain 04-15-2010 08:54 PM

I have a 20 cu ft old X-Cargo carrier that I have used many times on my 2007. Filled it with luggage and Christmas presents. I have never had a problem.

Dain