Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Best mods?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/948026-best-mods.html)

jarwood 04-12-2010 09:03 AM

Best mods??

Ive got a 2000 f-350 SBCC (auto) what are the best mods for my money?
I use it as a daily driver and to haul a travel trailer for camping. Have a small budget and looking for advise on how to build more power. I have a set of guages (pyro, tran, boost) 50 hp Painless Tuner, bigger trans pan (mag-tec?) AFE stage 1 and a Banks trans-command. Any advise on what else to do??:-huh

Duck Hunter81 04-12-2010 09:14 AM

I would throw on some 4" exhaust and a DP Tuner. I have never heard of the 50 hp Painless Tuner.
Those would probably be the best for the power mods for a budget but the others will be around soon with more tips.

Izzy351 04-12-2010 09:49 AM

See sig... :D

But seriously, it depends on what you want to do with your truck. A daily-driver/tow-mule would take many of the same mods you see below, minus the large injectors. Stage 1s/2s eventually would be nice, but the below mods as you can afford them would be good. I did them in the order that you see them listed, but I would do trans mods before custom tuning if I were to do it over again...

12pump 04-12-2010 02:00 PM

subscribing.

PwerStroke99 04-12-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by jarwood (Post 8759722)
I use it as a daily driver and to haul a travel trailer for camping. Have a small budget and looking for advise on how to build more power. I have a set of guages (pyro, tran, boost) 50 hp Painless Tuner, bigger trans pan (mag-tec?) AFE stage 1 and a Banks trans-command. Any advise on what else to do??:-huh

whats your hp goals? if u want 450+ look at my sig

Kajtek1 04-13-2010 01:51 AM

My truck is not my daily driver and I neglected it for few year by letting it sit under the oak for months at the time.
But it is all stock with single upgrade FROM wicked wheel to newer one.
Not only the engine at 207k is bulletproof (not few sensors on it) but with better oil and higher tire pressure my mpg went up almost 30%.
I plan to drive the truck way above 500k, so I am staying away from tuners.

GEugeneS 04-13-2010 11:39 PM

I think you would start with decent gauges, like from IssPro. The trans temp in the dash is almost useless on my 02. I also like to monitor the exhaust temp when pulling, and its just fun to see the boost. After that add cooling to the trans especially if pulling any weight and then maybe a DP tuner. You don't have to go big power with it. The best thing about mine is the shifting and the exhaust brake. Great truck.

diesel-fitter-bum01 04-13-2010 11:50 PM

Joe are you still on your stock tq converter and head studs?

HD Rider 04-14-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by jarwood (Post 8759722)

4" exhaust
Replace that tuner with one from DP, PHP, BTS ect...
Ditch the Trans Command for a BTS or John Wood valve body, or a Transgo Tugger kit.
Wicked Wheel for the turbo
6.0L trans cooler
08 rear diff cover

Here is a good resource for you Roadside Help Network - Guides, Maintenance & Mods

CampSpringsJohn 04-14-2010 08:30 AM

Intake, which you have already done.

A 4" exhaust to keep things cool.

A set of gauges to monitor things, which you have done.

A transgo tugger kit for the tranny.

A tranny cooler, a 6.0, or an aftermarket cooler. Your tranny will need it for towing.

The above list will do very little in boosting power. What it will do is set you up for a tuner if you choose. If not, at the very least it will enable your truck to operate at peak efficency, running cooler, with less chance of tearing anything up.

There are several good tuners out there. DP Tuner is a sponsor of this site, but you also have Power Hungary Performance, Swamps, Beans, Tony Wildman, and a few others. Any of these folks can make a custom chip/tuner for your specific needs. They are not "one size fits all" type operations. They will make a chip specifically for your truck, taking into consideration any mods you have done, and any future mods you may wish to do down the road, as well as your needs. If/when the time comes for going this route, do some research and make a good decision. The other mods listed are supporting mods for a chip, so I would do those first. As I said before, even if a chip is not for you, I'd still do the mods.

jarwood 04-15-2010 08:42 AM

Thanks for the good info!! I talked with Clay at Riffraff yesterday and he suggested alot of the same things. All I have to do is start saving up $$$$$$$
Thanks again FTE