Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Front Rotor removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/947554-front-rotor-removal.html)

EXbowtieguy 04-10-2010 04:33 PM

Front Rotor removal

Need a little help please.

I can't figure out how to get my front brake rotors off to replace them. I removed the caliper and thought the rotors should just come right off but they didn't? I then pulled the hub out and there was a retaining ring with a good size nut behind it , but you shouldn't have to remove the hubs to remove the brake rotors should you?

The stats of the truck are 04 f250 4wd w/manual hubs!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

da X-man 04-10-2010 04:44 PM

I don't know if you have a dually, or if that would matter, but my front rotors came right off. Try hitting it from the back to see if it would pop loose.

And no, the hubs shouldn't have to come off.

Rugby3 04-10-2010 05:15 PM

Once the caliper is removed the rotor should come off. Now if those are original rotors there is more than likely a ton of crud built up between the hub and rotor hat. Give it some love with a mallet or dead blow and it will come off. You do not need to mess with the hub to remove the rotor.

VTX1800rider 04-10-2010 07:05 PM

Is this true for a 06 350 with auto hubs?

BigPigDaddy 04-10-2010 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rugby3 (Post 8753509)
Once the caliper is removed the rotor should come off. Now if those are original rotors there is more than likely a ton of crud built up between the hub and rotor hat. Give it some love with a mallet or dead blow and it will come off. You do not need to mess with the hub to remove the rotor.

Roger that. It couldn't be simpler. It could be easier, but not simpler. Whack those babies!

high ho silver 04-11-2010 05:15 AM

Spray them down with some PB blaster around the stud holes and the center hole before giving them a whack with anything.

artfuldodger 04-11-2010 08:12 AM

Ditto the hammer whacking but as has been said spray some penetrating oil like WD40 around the stud holes (be generous) and wait 30 minutes then let the whacking begin. Use ear protectors and hit the face of the rotor as well as the outer edge of the rotor. If you intend to replace the rotors, hit the business face of the rotor as a last resort. Use a larger hammer than a standard carpenter's hammer.

gearloose1 04-11-2010 08:15 AM

Wooden piece in between the rotor and the hammer works real good to protect the rotor.

JimJr15 04-11-2010 09:07 AM

Best advice I ever got for doing brakes was from a Mercedes Mechanic. The rotors on the Benzs are IMPOSSIBLE to remove with a hammer. I literally spent 2 nights soaking and pounding one side to no avail. The benz mechanic told me to hit it with an air hammer on the rotor just outside the hub. Work your way around it if you need to. The rotor exploded off the hub 1/2 a second after I pulled the trigger. Works like a charm every time.

Left side rotor = 2 nights, 1 can PB Blaster 1 dead blow hammer, 1 5 lb sledge and 4 knuckles!! The right side rotor = .5 seconds vs. Air Hammer. LOL

Rugby3 04-11-2010 09:13 AM

For penetrating oil use PB Blaster. Also if your front rotors are like this the rears will definitely be worse. The good thing is you mentioned you were replacing rotors so you don't have to worry about damaging the rotor faces while trying to get them off. I really like JimJr15's idea of using an air hammer.

JimJr15 04-11-2010 10:01 AM

The air hammer took a part of the job that was a total pain in the a$$ and made it kinda fun.

Its the vibration that breaks the bond pretty easily more so than the force.

On occasion, I've had to hit the rotor from inboard (driving the rotor off the hub), but I knew I was putting new rotors on. But usually you can just soak them with PB Blaster the night before. Spray them again just before you hit them and put the hammer between the wheel studs and within seconds its off!!

Rongold 04-11-2010 10:13 AM

ROTOR REMOVAL

Originally Posted by EXbowtieguy (Post 8753377)
Need a little help please.

I can't figure out how to get my front brake rotors off to replace them. I removed the caliper and thought the rotors should just come right off but they didn't?

Chris

Just remove the caliper and the caliper bracket. Soak the rotor/hub junction and the stud holes with PB Blaster and rotate the whole assembly so the PB Blaster gets all around the inside of the rotor hat. Most of the problem is where the outer edge of the hub meets the inner diameter of the rotor. After it soaks for a while, hit it with a BFH--It will eventually come off. When you install the new rotor, coat the center hole and the location where the outer edge of the hub meets the rotor with anti-sieze grease. This will make it much easier the next time.

Don't forget to remove the sliding pins from the caliper bracket and load them up with some type of synthetic caliper pin grease--those pins siezing in the brackets are a common problem with Super Duties.

RON

GUNNERDOG 04-11-2010 10:49 AM

BFH

I don't have an air hammer, i just beat them like they owe me money. I use a 3-5lb sledge. Don't be afraid to go at it. I beat on one side, then rotate the hub 90 deg, and beat on it again, rotate 90 beat etc... It'll come off.

I applied anti-sieze when i put my new rotors on... hopefully that will help me take them off next time.

ke6zmy 04-11-2010 07:25 PM

I am a carpenter. I used a wood chissel between the rotor and the hub. Rust is mother nature's glue.

VTX1800rider 04-11-2010 07:53 PM

I'll rephrase my question I had earlier. On my '06 with auto hubs, does taking off the rotor involve taking apart the hub or does it slide off like '04....thanks