Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Slide in camper (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/946756-slide-in-camper.html)

glennemay 04-07-2010 05:42 PM

Slide in camper

Hey guys,

My kids are bugging me to pickup a slide in camper so we can do some overnight beach fishing sometime this year.

I have an 05 F350 Dually 4x4 with the 6.8l.

Here is the issue, I have the opportunity to pick one up this weekend about 100 miles from home. The problem is that I do not have the time or the money to have tie downs put on this week and buy the camper. It's an older one, used but in excellent condition.

My question is.. How can I temporarily tie one of those beasts to the back of my truck for the trek home? I will have some Torklifts put on, but not for a couple of weeks.

G

02mudbug 04-07-2010 07:11 PM

got a trailer? take a sheet of plywood, and a couple broom handles and rull it onto a trailer to get it home you can strap, chain it like you would any other load. depending on the size of this camper, you could use ratchet straps over the top and around the back if its a light one like mine, thats how i got mine home, but it only weighs 1000lbs wet, its its a big one, i would trailer it home

Pocono Super Duty 04-07-2010 07:25 PM

Some places do not allow Dually's on the beach. You may want to check that out but don't let that stop you from buying that truck camper. We sure enjoy ours.

glennemay 04-07-2010 07:39 PM

:)

OK, So I am a moron.. I do have a 4x8 trailer, it's full for a dump run.

The trailer I have is low, I am afraid of it dragging the back end on the road.

As for the size, I am not exactly positive. I have not seen this one yet. I am judging by a friend of mine that saw it. I don't know what they will say about the dually on the beach, although I can still park it right at the edge of the sand and hoof it in. :)

I understand that this may be a larger unit, my friend claims it's on a Dually now. I have to assume there is some weight to it.

What do you use for tie downs? Torklift or something else?

G

ehchvac 04-07-2010 08:25 PM

massachusetts driving on the sand laws
Cape Cod National Seashore - Cape Cod National Seashore Oversand Beach Driving Information (U.S. National Park Service)

Pocono Super Duty 04-08-2010 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by glennemay (Post 8741395)
What do you use for tie downs? Torklift or something else?

G

I use Torklift. Last truck I used HappiJack.

glennemay 04-08-2010 04:41 AM

Torklift

So in your opinion on the quality of the tie down? Which would you recommend. Price wise Torklift is a little m ore than Happijack, but only slightly.

Thanks
G

glennemay 04-08-2010 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ehchvac (Post 8741616)

Thanks for the information. I have not been on the beach out there in years. I would love to spend a night camping on the sand. :)

Thanks Again.
Glenn

Pocono Super Duty 04-08-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by glennemay (Post 8742979)
So in your opinion on the quality of the tie down? Which would you recommend. Price wise Torklift is a little m ore than Happijack, but only slightly.
Thanks
G

My first truck had Happijack but I went with TorkLift on my present truck. I like theTorkLift frame mounts better.

saltamontes 04-08-2010 06:44 PM

i would think a large ratchet strap around the end of the camper should suffice for 100 mi. it will help if u have a bed mat as that keeps things from sliding really well.

get some more opinions over at rv.net forums

dchamberlain 04-08-2010 07:11 PM

Trying to hold a slide in camper in your truck bed, or on a trailer, with nothing but ratchet straps, is a good way to lose not only your camper, but possibly your truck/trailer and someone else's life as well.

Slide in campers are notoriously top heavy. A strap around the back, even if it's strong enough to keep it from sliding out, is not going to keep it from tipping. And tipping is going to be your problem.

The only correct way to do this is to get your tie downs installed properly and then go get your camper.

I have the Happi-Jak tiedowns. They work OK, but I would have preferred to have the Tork Lifts.

saltamontes 04-08-2010 07:23 PM

i agree.

ignore my previous post.

don't know what i was thinking.

fingers (on keyboard) faster than my brain today.

somebody drop a big grain of salt on my head

KyleKai 04-08-2010 07:35 PM

Might want to post the question at the truck camper forum at rv.net:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers

bondobob65 04-13-2010 11:55 PM

The F350 is great for a slide in CabOver. The guy I bought my truck from hauled a 11'6" Lance and put in Timbren's for the fully loaded times other than that it worked great tie down is just fastened to the fron of the bed sheetmetal......