Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   West Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum134/)
-   -   Mine explosion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/946160-mine-explosion.html)

crazyredneckanyhow 04-05-2010 07:23 PM

Mine explosion

Raleigh Co. 3 pm today. Six lost and 21 unaccounted for. Peace be with you boys and may God bring you all out alive.

West Virginia Mine Explosion Kills At Least 6 - AOL News

1975StroppeBaja 04-05-2010 07:48 PM

x2 on that. Its always horrible when something like this happens. Just heard they've found a 7th one dead but one survivor is in CAMC in intensive care.

Let's pray for the miners and their families.

Brings back bad memories of Sago.

crazyredneckanyhow 04-05-2010 08:10 PM

Yeah this hits home with me. I had a close cousin die at Sago.

1975StroppeBaja 04-05-2010 08:42 PM

Sorry to hear that Dave.

My father in law worked quite a few years in the mines, mostly in the Philippi area, and worked with 4 or 5 of the guys that died in Sago.

msgtg 04-06-2010 04:39 AM

What a tragedy! This morning I see the number of dead has grown but there are still several missing. Please pray for the miners, their families, and the folks on the scene trying to rescue/find the missing.

Joe

grandpa'sprideandjoy 04-06-2010 07:42 AM

we all will be praying for them

Dave Sponaugle 04-06-2010 11:03 PM

I have not heard any new numbers this evening, but a bad day from what I heard this morning.

PreciousOne 04-08-2010 05:17 AM

I believe it is now 25 confirmed lost and 4 still missing

:(

pmasley 04-11-2010 11:50 AM

Well, it is now over. 29 WV Brothers lost in that cold tomb. It was just senseless.

I do hope that the State and the Feds gets to the bottom of this senseless destruction of of WV Families, and if Massey is at fault, the culprit or culprits are quartered and drawn in the Beckley Court House Square.

However, we know what will happen, absolutely not a damn thing, nothing.

1975StroppeBaja 04-11-2010 12:01 PM

Yep, you're right. Not a thing will be done.

What they need to do is make the fines so freakin expensive that it would be cheaper to actually fix the problems. It must be the other way around right now. You always hear about all the violations and the millions of dollars spent paying fines. Never about the millions of dollars spent fixing problems.

But, "they" don't wanna make the fines too expensive because they won't get their cut of the $$$$ if the companies fix the problems instead of paying the fine.

Its very sad, things like this happen way too often.

Dave Sponaugle 04-11-2010 12:22 PM

When they flooded the mine with nitrogen to extingush the fire I was expecting the final outcome.

Not enough oxygen left for a fire to burn, anyone not on an oxygen pack didn't have a chance.

Sad day for sure.

pmasley 04-11-2010 12:34 PM

Dave, they were already gone before they did the nitrogen. They were found within 50 feet of all of the others. They did not even have a chance to get their respirators out of the container.

The blast is so severe that they will not even be able to have an open casket at the funeral. From what I have heard, the temps were over 1,700 degrees. Our brothers lungs exploded immediately. Hopefully, they did not feel any pain but were gone in an instant.

crazyredneckanyhow 04-11-2010 02:03 PM

I really would like to see them send the sob responsible for this in the mine with a zippo to look for methane. If he comes out ok then fine. Just shoot him on site.

KevinGnWV 04-12-2010 09:42 PM

Today, at 3:30 pm while I was doing work near grundy Va on a surface mine, all engines were cut and a prayer was recited by a preacher that works there that lasted about 7 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of silence. I know this happened almost everywhere today, but.....

I live in Raleigh County, and have family that works at that mine. Of course, nobody there knew that, since I was 3 hours away from home and I had only been at that location 1 time before. It was nice. Peaceful. Blessed, I suppose. Many of the men there, including myself had to dry their eyes and nobody turned in shame. You could hear the preachers voice become shaky as he prayed over the CB radio.

I know people are angry and want answers and I think we all understand that. But there are fathers and husbands and brothers and uncles and nephews and friends gone. And then there are the ones that have to go back in there without those guys.

I hope I have not offended anyone by this post. I've been following this thread and decided just to keep quiet until today, so I hope you all understand.

God Bless those Men.

YouTube - Covered in Coal by Blackwater Outlaws

pmasley 04-13-2010 06:38 AM

Kevin, brother there is no offense. Everybody morns in their own way.

Yesterday at 3:30, the State basically shut down for ten minutes as our Governor laid the wreath at the miner at the Capitol. I was there along with several hundred other brothers and sisters.