Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   wrench light?????what does it mean??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/945941-wrench-light-what-does-it-mean.html)

ford4x4956 04-04-2010 11:15 PM

wrench light?????what does it mean???

just got my truck reflashed and 30 mins later the wrench light came on, the truck runs fine and the light goes off if i truck the truck off then on again but then comes back on the next day......does anyone know what it means?? should i be worried???:confused:

Big_Red_1993_F250 04-04-2010 11:18 PM

Can you pull any codes? Was your truck returned back to stock before you took it in for the reflash? Are you still using the Diablo Predator?

Derek

ford4x4956 04-04-2010 11:22 PM

havent pulled codes and i dont have a programmer anymore

tex25025 04-04-2010 11:46 PM

The only time that I've ha the wrench come on is when I had forgot to put my program in the truck and my turbo built up about 40+ psi of boost. Got a strange reaction from the truck, really hard to describe and then it was like in "limp mode". I knew it was because of too much boost though. However, since you said the truck runs fine, I doubt it's that unless I just over reacted about "limp mode".

I wouldn't know where to begine though on this without looking at the codes to see, even if it's just in general, what is going on with the truck.

HeavyAssault 04-05-2010 01:44 PM

Damn that sucks. I'll bet it's the new temperature differential between EOT and ECT that now sets a CEL it the temps are 15*F apart. Do you like your dealership?

ford4x4956 04-05-2010 05:15 PM

im not getting a check engine im getting the wrench light??? i never realy take the truck to the dealer since im out of warranty just went for the reflash

gearloose1 04-05-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ford4x4956 (Post 8731628)
im not getting a check engine im getting the wrench light??? i never realy take the truck to the dealer since im out of warranty just went for the reflash

Wrench is really serious.

Take it to the dealer and at least, get the codes read now.

It can be things like failure of the accelerator pedal.

You don't want to go Toyota.

ford4x4956 04-05-2010 06:04 PM

oh chet!!!!!!!!!:eek:....realy that bad????!!!i just took a 3hr trip to work wont be going back till next month....does it have to be a ford dealer scanner or can autozone scanners pull the codes????

gearloose1 04-05-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ford4x4956 (Post 8731778)
oh chet!!!!!!!!!:eek:....realy that bad????!!!i just took a 3hr trip to work wont be going back till next month....does it have to be a ford dealer scanner or can autozone scanners pull the codes????

Go to the nearest place with a scanner to lend you... see what it reads.

Then, as warranted.. go to the nearest Ford dealer.

Really --- have it looked at.

I am the king of logging and deleting CEL codes... and I don't ignore the wrench light.

AFAIK, the wrench light may automatically mean you are in "limp" mode...

tex25025 04-05-2010 07:00 PM

Find someone with a good CAN scanner that can read more then just the general powertrain module. What would show up on an autozone reader(if anything) might just give you a general indication. Better then nothing, but it could still leave you wondering what it is.

From my one experience with the Wrench light, I would say that it's limp mode til it gets fixed. Could be wrong, but based on my experience, I was in limp mode when it came on for me.

ford4x4956 04-05-2010 07:07 PM

well it doesnt feel like its limping i just towed a travel trailer for 3 hrs with no problems.....hmmmmmmm:confused: ..gona have to go check autozone for now

gearloose1 04-05-2010 07:41 PM

It could be something like the gas pedal malfunction.

A Toyota situation!

98SurplusExpy 04-05-2010 09:18 PM

It's not as serious as folk are making it sound; the latest flash uses the "wrench light" to notify the operator of several "out-of-spec" readings that could lead to typical major 6.0L problems. 1-FICM low voltages (FICM Failing), 2-Oil Cooler Efficiency (EGR & Oil Cooler Replacement), & 3-Turbo Overboost (Head Gaskets). If no hard cold starts & you are just driving normally when the light comes on ... suspect the Oil Cooler Efficiency.

If you were not gitting it before the flash, then there's your answer.

Also, I got a fancy CAN enabled code reader ... but it still will not retrieve the disappearing "wrench light" code. It's gotta be stored somewhere ...

tex25025 04-05-2010 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 98SurplusExpy (Post 8732661)
Also, I got a fancy CAN enabled code reader ... but it still will not retrieve the disappearing "wrench light" code. It's gotta be stored somewhere ...

If I still had the code I could tell you what module it was in with AE, but alas I don't.

gearloose1 04-05-2010 09:44 PM

[quote=98SurplusExpy;8732661the latest flash uses the "wrench light" to notify the operator of several "out-of-spec" readings that could lead to typical major 6.0L problems.[/quote]

Can you tell me what month / year flash started to do this?

That way, I can make sure I don't flash again until the OBDII readers catch up with it.