Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Tips Or Tricks On Bed Removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/944274-tips-or-tricks-on-bed-removal.html)

FlyCool5.0 03-29-2010 10:04 PM

Tips Or Tricks On Bed Removal

Im going to be taking off the bed of my 1995 f150 super cab short box this weekend. Is it just the six mounting bolts I see? Any harnesses that anyone can clue me in on I need to unplug. Going To Rhinoline the box & replace a faulty sending unit.

Thanks For Any Help!!!

Nealcrenshaw 03-29-2010 10:11 PM

If you do a search there's some good info on this! type in bed remove,bed removal,etc..
in the 87-96 forum.

rocketfootballer 03-29-2010 10:17 PM

Lots of PB blaster if you live where there is road salt. Guna have to undo your filler neck for gas tank(s). Also you need to pull your tail lights and pull the bulbs and harness out from them. The one to the pass side runs under the bottom back of the bed. Hope I helped.

DIYiT 03-29-2010 11:36 PM

if you're going to be rhinolining, I'd suggest welding the bed bolts to the box with a couple tack welds to help them hold them when removing the nuts or you'll risk turning the bolts in the holes in the bed. Since you're lining it, it shouldn't matter that the paint is scratched up.

My truck came apart fine once we welded the bolts in, heated them up real good, and doused them with PB blaster.

Bayer-Z28 03-30-2010 08:17 AM

^ That's a real good idea. My bolts held great, but when I put the bed back on, the weight of the bed pushed the bolts up and ripped them thru the liner.

There are two connectors around the bumper area. Prolly for the tail lights and the trailer hook up. And yeah, pretty much just the six bolts... And disconnect the fuel fillers from where the cap is. The three 7mm/10mm bolts. There's also a hose clamp holding the filler tubs to the bed underneath.

Red Cobra 03-30-2010 01:07 PM

that welding idea is a great idea wish i had a welder when i took my box off i had to grind every head off drop them down then grind the bottom nut off then push them back out the top what a pain in the ass that was!!

fishforlife2007 03-30-2010 03:08 PM

i welded a piece of square steel to the top of the bolt and had a buddy with a wrench hold on tight while i hit it with the ol' impact. not a problem and ive done it twice now.

starrider 03-30-2010 04:10 PM

I just pulled my bed off this past weekend.

It came off with no problems. Six bolts, undo the fuel filler piping, remove tailgate and unplug the wiring harness for the tail lights. Reinstalled the bolts with a generous amount of anti sieze.

Alamo Diesel Aggie 03-30-2010 09:58 PM

How heavy is the 8' box? I don't want to take mine all the way off. I just want to prop it up and get some blocks under it so I can get to the fuel tanks. Can one man lift one side or corner?

Bayer-Z28 03-30-2010 10:02 PM

I did my 6' myself. I just slid it back enough to get to the front tank.
There's some sharp edges, so get some real thick leather gloves. It really had to put some ass into it to get my bed up, off the bolt holes, and to slide it back enough to get to the fuel pump. My 6' bed wasn't THAT bad, just very awkward. When I reinstalled it, I tried just getting underneath it and "benching" it up to get the shims back in... It seemed a lot easier that way, but watch out for falling dust, dirt, and rust that WILL find it's way into your eyes.

fishforlife2007 03-31-2010 09:42 PM

when i took my flareside bed off of my truck, it was heavier than expected... we did it with 3 people to be safe and ease it down just rite. if it came down to it two people could do a short box or flareside bed. not too sure about a 8 footer though. the thing that i found out was that the weight of the tailgate made the bed wana tip back when moving it around so that was why the third person was there for me(didnt feel like taking it off)

jordan101 03-08-2011 05:40 PM

Can i use an air impact to get the bed off or do i have to ratchet everything.

IDIDieselJohn 03-08-2011 05:49 PM

An 8 foot bed isn't that heavy, sure was alot lighter than I expected it.

We were me and my dad to lift it off the truck and walk it down the driveway.

Thing is, is there really awkward to carry. You gotta pick 'em up around the fenders, and well my old box kind of had a lack there of.

jordan101 03-08-2011 05:55 PM

my question was though can i get it off with an air impact some of the bolts look hard to get to. I need look inside both tanks and see how dirty they are.

IDIDieselJohn 03-08-2011 06:03 PM

The one of my short box parts truck all came off no problem with a wrench.

The ones on my F250, I grinded them off by the head.