Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/942582-intake-manifold-runner-control.html)

MHUNLEY 03-24-2010 01:38 PM

INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL

I have a 2002 f-150 with a 4.2 liter v6 engine.
my check engine light has been on for some time and occasionally at highway speeds the truck will start bucking like it is starving for fuel.
my local dealer first told me it was the fuel pump so i have a new $400.00 pump in my truck. when that did not fix my problem i took it back to my local dealer and now they are telling me that it needs to have the
imrc replaced and that as part of a tsb 07-1617 i need to replace the lower intake manifold also at $1065.00. i would like to verify this, as i really need my truck fixed. it also is having a problem starting and they explained that as the number 6 injector being stuck open and bleeding fuel into the cylinder. i am getting ready to go on vacation in this thing and need it to be running right. i do not mind spending money to fix it but i want it repaired. last time they told me what it needed it did not fix it (fuel pump)
any input is appreciated.

darkmage55 03-24-2010 02:01 PM

Wow sounds like a regular steelership. One of the reasons i have a mechanic i take it too thats NOT a ford dealership haha. Have you had the CEL read? What is it reading if you have?

steve(ill) 03-24-2010 06:14 PM

light should tell you which cylinder is the problem. normally bucking is caused by missfire. that would be coil, sparkplug, fuel injector, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator in that order... how did they jump to the pump first?? did they measure the pressure? did it leak donw? code should say if #6 cylinder is the problem, then NORMALLY you would start with a new coil.

steve(ill) 03-24-2010 06:15 PM

why do you need an intake manifold? got a hole, or they just need the work and money???

ottawaguy 03-24-2010 08:02 PM

I would check to see if the imrc linkage rod is still connected. Wanna bet it's a p1518 code??. Any pinging(spark knock) lately?

The rods are held in by little plastic bushings and will throw a code if they break and the rod falls out. If you feel down in back of the engine behind the upper intake manifold, you should be able to feel the linking rod.
Let us know what you find.

Oh...and stay away from the dealerships and you'll save lots....
My local dealership charged my 11.73 each before taxes. Dorman makes the part(can't remember P#) in their "Help" line of repair/replacement parts...should be cheaper than the dealer.

Bluegrass 7 03-25-2010 02:40 AM

Sorry to hear of the fine competency the dealer has shown.
We need to know the code/s you have set, first.
There may be mutiple issues as well.
Solve for one code at a time to keep confusion to a min.
Good luck.

MHUNLEY 03-25-2010 10:11 AM

THE CODES ARE AS FOLLOWS
P1519 -IRCM STUCK CLOSE
P0171 BANK ONE LEAN
P0175 BANK 2 RICH
P0306 CYL 6 MISFIRE
P0316 MISFIRE FIRST 1K
P1519 IRCM STUCK CLOSED
THEN THEY SAID MODE 6 NO MISFIRES
KOER- ALL PASS

THE SAID I NEED THE INTAKE BECAUSE OF SOME SORT OF SCREWS AND THE SERVICE BULLETIN SAYS IT WILL NEED BOTTOM OF INTAKE
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT

Bluegrass 7 03-25-2010 09:53 PM

P1519 appears 2 times so 1 code down already.
Very unusual for one bank to have an "oppisite code" from the other (P0171 & P0175), one lean and one rich.
Both codes likely due to the same fault. Count as 1 fault.
P0316 and P0306 go togather so 1 fault here. 316 is detecting the #6 cylinder fault at cranking time.
You have only 3 area to address.
Fix the cylinder miss first and 316/306 will clear.
The 171/175 codes may be related to the intake/runner/manifold control issue.
A good tech will take these relationships under consideration and solve for interelated fault causes.
I think they are mostly out of your present ability to handle.
Good luck.

ottawaguy 03-26-2010 08:53 AM

It's in the dealerships hands now...Usual song and dance, leaving you with a light wallet when the day's done, but as the OP stated, he doesn't mind spending money to fix the problem.
1065 for the manifold, new intake runners(?), you know they're gonna ding him for a new runner control, yada yada, all the associated parts,throw in labour .....
*#$@#!% dealerships..never been to one that didn't try to rob you blind.

MHUNLEY...Let us know how it turns out.

IndySilverAnny 03-28-2010 05:07 PM

Looks like a new coil wouldv'e fixed the bucking issue. My truck has done this twice now, and both times a new coil fixed it. (replaced the associated plug while it was out.

MHUNLEY 04-26-2010 10:48 AM

My truck is fixed.
6 injectors and intake reseal an irc motor and an upper intake.
the upper intake separated and needed to be replaced.
thanks for all the input, just glad it is all fixed.:-jammin

ottawaguy 04-26-2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by MHUNLEY (Post 8816279)
My truck is fixed.
6 injectors and intake reseal an irc motor and an upper intake.
the upper intake separated and needed to be replaced.
thanks for all the input, just glad it is all fixed.:-jammin

Glad you got it solved!

Thanks for posting the fix....

anderson1549 11-14-2010 03:45 PM

My 97 F150 was not getting much power at take off. Felt like it was trying to started but needed a walking cane to help it get up. Once it started moving and the rpm got up I could feel the IMRC valves open up. So I unhooked the control modules from the runner and opened the valves and I have power through out the rpm range. There may be something else wrong but it is running good now.

Staci d crandall 09-14-2017 11:50 AM

Hey

I have a 2002 F150 with a 4.2 V6 2 wheel drive I got the code red the code is p1518 intake manifold Runner control malfunction stuck open replace intake manifold Runner control imrc actuator linkage clips can you please tell me where this is located on my engine and what all I have to do to replace it and have my truck running correctly the check engine light is blinking it runs like an old crappy tractor I need help

Bluegrass 7 09-14-2017 08:00 PM

Something you might need to be a where of; the IMRC code won't 'blink' the CEL but an ignition failure can.
That may be the reason the motor is running so poor.
An IMRC fault won't make the motor run rough.
Look for a cylinder misfire code... and..... repair the IMRC hardware.
The IMRC is a rod running through each side of the intake manifold runners.
On the back end of the intake manifold each side is the actuating hardware the code is referring to.
Good luck..