Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   E4OD hard shifts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/940751-e4od-hard-shifts.html)

PPrash 03-18-2010 03:49 PM

E4OD hard shifts

MY 94 F350 with the E4OD seems to be getting progressively worse at shifting at lower RPM's and the shifts being somewhat jarring. Any adjustment to this? I know this is better than soft sloppy but the wife asks about it, etc.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

LCAM-01XA 03-18-2010 04:38 PM

Is your OD light blinking? Harsh shifts are usually result if the PCM entering failure-management (limp-home) mode, it jacks up the line pressure and alters the shift schedule to ensure the clutches don't slip and burn up. Scan the PCM for codes, see what numbers it throws at ya...

Oh yah, speedometer and tachometer working fine? What about the RABS, is the yellow warning light on?

truckrider814 03-18-2010 05:21 PM

It's a no brainier but my friend did it, check the fluid level see if it's low. he ran his while it only had 2 quarts in it and was wondering why it was shifting so hard. also x2 on ^^^.

Kyle

PPrash 03-18-2010 07:28 PM

No OD light flashing. In fact the OD functions perfect and on/ off button works fine as does light. Checked fluid yesterday it was fine. I dont have a CE light but will get it scanned. Speedo and Tach work fine too. Thanks for the input.

PPrash 03-18-2010 09:05 PM

OK, I took my ODB-II scanner out to my 1994 F350 tonight and a flashlight to look for a plug under the dash. Nothing. Does a 1994 not have an ODB scanner plug to scan DTC's?

danr1 03-18-2010 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by PPrash (Post 8657882)
OK, I took my ODB-II scanner out to my 1994 F350 tonight and a flashlight to look for a plug under the dash. Nothing. Does a 1994 not have an ODB scanner plug to scan DTC's?

Its OBD 1 and the port is under the hood by the drivers side hood hinge. "No reader" necessary but easier yea. You can check it with a paper clip.

How to run a self test> Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test

And yea gonna be the speed sensor on the axle or the PSOM - (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module) module behind the speedo. May be both and may not store any code, may just be wiring/connection problems between the two.

f1504x4driver 03-18-2010 09:37 PM

My 95 is doing the same thing, Jerks like hell between 1st and 2nd and shifts fine every where else. Changed the fluid, tps to no avail. No lights or codes.

PPrash 03-18-2010 09:46 PM

Danr1, can you explain more about your ideas? Please remeber my speedo & tach work fine, as does cruise.

danr1 03-18-2010 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by PPrash (Post 8658109)
Danr1, can you explain more about your ideas? Please remeber my speedo & tach work fine, as does cruise.

Tell us more about how it shifts, for example does it hold out a gear to long then suddenly "slam" up shifting to the next gear? Speed varying or always at the same point? Vary by load? Effect more then one shift point say 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd? or just one shift point? All shift points?

Try clearing the memory, disconnect the battery for a few minutes then re connect it. Take it for a ride, does it shift right for a while but then the problem returns?

Be sure and take a minute and check for any trouble codes stored before disconnecting the battery, make a note of any you find.

Make sure you drive it several miles, give it time to reproduce any fault. 15 or so miles of mixed speed driving should do it.

That will help narrow down to an electrical problem, or a internal valving type issue within the trans itself.

Post back let us know what you find out and we'll go from there.

PPrash 03-18-2010 10:29 PM

The shift RPM points are very low for all gears, but still jarring. One bit a clarity, do the engine codes and trans codes get pulled the same way with the process I read about here? Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test Seems like the 1-> 2 shift and 2->3 are the harsh ones.

rla2005 03-18-2010 10:52 PM

PCM is an acronym for Powertrain Control Module. This controls the engine and transmission functions. Any issues with either one will be stored and displayed when checking for codes.

Brian Abington 03-19-2010 02:04 AM

my 150 started doing the same thing tonight. I've had a CE light but never shifted hard till tonight.

Mine is holding gear for to long, then shifts really hard.

I'm gonna have to check the code tomorrow.

Brian Abington 03-19-2010 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 8658361)
PCM is an acronym for Powertrain Control Module. This controls the engine and transmission functions. Any issues with either one will be stored and displayed when checking for codes.

Sorry, as much as I know about cars I am uncertain about this...is PCM the same as the ECM on these trucks?

PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Engine Control Module

LCAM-01XA 03-19-2010 02:48 AM

Yes, it's the same thing - ECM was the name when it controlled just the engine (and before that it was called an MCU), then when the electronic transmissions came out it became a PCM, and in case of an IDI diesel Ford where the thing controls the trans alone and nothing on the engine it was called a TECA.

Brian Abington 03-19-2010 02:57 AM

any idea where to buy a new one? I posted that link but they say they don't have one for my truck...can't seem to find one anywere.