Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   SCT tuner on a 5.4 gas (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/940043-sct-tuner-on-a-5-4-gas.html)

magnumdd 03-16-2010 08:46 AM

SCT tuner on a 5.4 gas

I just purchased a 2010 f250 4wheel drive super crew with the 5.4 gas engine.
I e-mailed SCT about there tuners and they said to buy a model 3015. Is anyone out there using this tuner? What results did you get?

helicopter911 03-16-2010 08:57 AM

Magnumdd- I'm right there with you! I registered on this forum for that same thing.. Do you have a cold air intake on yours? I cant find one that fits the 2010 super duty 5.4..

Toreador_Diesel 03-16-2010 10:04 AM

You're on the right track, you just need to talk to the right person...

Mike Butler at 5-Star tuning knows the V10 and 5.4 engines quite well and has owners singing his praises. 5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

He uses the SCT programming device for his tunes and will teach your truck some new tricks. I don't know personally, but every V10 or 5.4 owner is blown away by how much more he can get out of those engines. Check him out...

magnumdd 03-16-2010 10:08 AM

I just bought this truck and have not done any mods so far. From what I have read on this forum the tuner should be the best bang for the buck. If anyone has done any mods that work let me know.

dkf 03-16-2010 10:31 AM

An SCT tuner from 5 star will work well for you. You get custom tunes with the tuner, not just the canned tunes you get with an off the self SCT unit you buy from a major retailer.

J_E_Summit 03-16-2010 10:59 AM

I have an 08 F250 with an SCT X3 from Mike at 5 Star Tunning.

I can't say anything bad about the man or the product. The truck drives completly different with the tunes in, and its more then a little extra horsepower. The shifting strategy is way better, along with the drive by wire. Well worth the money.

The only things that I have discovered is that the truck is a little too sensitive to driver input durring the winter when things are icy, and the gas stations around here no longer sell 93+ octane fuel:(

My three tunes are: 87octane economy, 87 HP/TQ, 93 octane HP/TQ

With the loss of high octane fuel, I might see if mike can make a tune that has the hp/tq of the 87 tune, but is less sensitive to my heavy foot:)

Furian 03-16-2010 11:45 AM

You will definitely be impressed with the performance gains of the SCT X3 tuner. Although SCT recommended Model 3015 with "pre-loaded" tunes, you can do much better with Model 3000 with "custom" tunes. You will need to provide specific information about your Super Duty using the link below.

Cal Request - Vehicle Information

There are several people in the aftermarket who offer "custom" tunes for the SCT tuners. I'm sure that SCT didn't want to specify which person to contact as they are all SCT wholesale customers. That said, when it comes to gas engines, Mike at 5 Star Tuning has the best reputation for maximizing the economy, towing, and performance tune profiles, has excellent customer service, and very competitive pricing.

Price List

5 Star Tuning
1209 Hill Harrell Rd.
Effingham, SC 29541
(843) 667-3595

Quill Gordon 03-16-2010 03:48 PM

Do yourself a favor and call Mike. I made the mistake of going through a local performance shop here first when purchasing the SCT, luckily the feller runnin the place let me take it back. I purchased the 3000 model from Mike he shipped it to me I had to plug it in, get the code, email Mike the code and that night waalaa custom tunes emailed back to me. Fantastic customer service from Mike, he is always there when ya have a question. I have the 87oct economy, 87oct Performance/Tow, 91oct Perf/Tow. I run the 87 Perf/Tow most the time

magnumdd 03-18-2010 08:19 AM

It sounds like a SCT and tunes from Mike are the way to go. Will installing the tuner void my Ford warranty? Will the dealership be able to tell there was a tuner installed if I remove it before taking the truck in for service?
I want to do the tuner but I have heard installing a tuner will void any factory warranty.

Furian 03-18-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by magnumdd (Post 8655085)
It sounds like a SCT and tunes from Mike are the way to go. Will installing the tuner void my Ford warranty? Will the dealership be able to tell there was a tuner installed if I remove it before taking the truck in for service?
I want to do the tuner but I have heard installing a tuner will void any factory warranty.

It may void your warranty... it depends on how "friendly" your dealership is with their customers.

J_E_Summit 03-18-2010 10:02 AM

Andrew pretty much hit the nail on the head. I actually went in and asked if they could look up a PCM code for me so I could get a programmer:), but my local dealer is pretty good that way.

Toreador_Diesel 03-18-2010 10:34 AM

Ford doesn't seem to care very much about programmers on gas engines becuase gas engines aren't as susceptible to damage like diesels are. Now if you were talking about a 6.4, yeah, they defnitely made sure the PCM would rat you out if you used a programmer.

whtmtn 03-18-2010 11:12 AM

I wrote a pretty detailed feedback from my use of the SCT Tuner from Mike at 5 Star. He also helped me reprogram to get better shifting in and out of overdrive.
The tuner is great. The service is great. The performance gain is great.
2008 F250 crew, 5.4 liter, 3.73s, limited slip, back flip touneau cover. 13.7 average mpg.

dkf 03-18-2010 11:13 AM

Like others said technically your drivetrain warrenty could be in jeopardy but only the drivetrain warrenty. I would highly suggest getting the X3 tuner because it leaves no visible hardware on the truck at all, it just reflashes the pcm. The dealer can tell the pcm reflashed if they look for it. 5 Star knows what they are doing, the chances of complications and warrenty issues are slim on the gassers but are a possiblility.

Johnny Langton 03-18-2010 11:35 AM

Will installing the tuner void my Ford warranty?

Yes,it will.

Will the dealership be able to tell there was a tuner installed if I remove it before taking the truck in for service?

Yes they will,and what you are speaking of is fraud.

It will,and if it concerns you enough to ask about it-leave the truck stock until the warranty period is over.
JL