Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   Moving to spokane...emissions testing. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/938774-moving-to-spokane-emissions-testing.html)

Brian Abington 03-12-2010 03:23 AM

Moving to spokane...emissions testing.

My wife and I are moving our family to spokane towards the end of summer.

We are really excited about this change in our lives and look forward to settling in the area.

I do have a question for you guys.

I grew up in Nebraska, and now live in Iowa. Both states do not do emissions testing.

I am rather nervous about the emissions testing in WA because of the work I plan to do to my truck.

I am installing a pair of headers and true duals (plan to put in new high flow cats so I will at least have that.)

At the same time I will work on the intake and I also plan to remove the air pump and egr.

Will I fail the emissions testing with an intake, exhaust, and air pump removed?

Or are they not that picky with trucks?

Mine is a 94 F150 ex cab 5.8l auto 4x4

thanks for any input guys.

Behemoth 03-12-2010 10:09 AM

From what I've figured, you're going to have a little trouble with the inspection. Not so much due to emissions, but due to equipment. According to their website, all emissions equipment must still be installed and operating on your vehicle, which from your admission that you've removed the smog pump, that's not the case.

You should probably reinstall the pump, and with the headers, probably means you're either going to have to reinstall lthe original exhaust manifolds, or have a bung welded into the headers so the exhaust recirculation pipe can be installed. Honestly, I'm not sure that the headers will fly with them even if you take those steps. The intake manifold may not pose as much of a problem, but you should still have the EGR equipment installed at the throttle as well.

You can do some snooping on their site yourself to answer some of your questions...... Washington Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program - Welcome It has just basic information, but I'm sure they're going to be pretty much as draconian as possible, so they ensure that they generate as much revenue for the state as possible (but I'm not cynical, or anything).

I have to do that this year myself on my vehicles, as I moved to Spokane last July. I'm not too worried about it as the equipment is still intact on my rigs. My beater pickup, Maynard ('88 F150 4.9L), might have an issue as it's had the engine light flicker every once in a while, but I've changed pretty much everything having to do with the emissions system. If I fail, and I've already made all the repairs possible, I'll have to get it checked by an "approved" mechanic, and if everything is in working order, I might be eligible for a waiver. That is, IF I fail the test....it'll probably be fine, as it's not a smoker, and doesn't leak, so we'll see.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Brian Abington 03-12-2010 10:20 AM

So do they have photos of what everything should look like? If they don't know what to look for and only check to see that it has cats and mufflers it may not be that big a deal.

I called a truck shop in spokane and asked the same question...the guy said they only put the emissions tester in one pipe so if you have duals you may still pass because the machine is only picking up half of what your puting out! haha

Behemoth 03-12-2010 12:36 PM

Well, if that's the case, then I'd doubt you'd have much of an issue. I'm just telling you what i found, and what I think. It's up to you what you do with that information.

Brian Abington 03-12-2010 03:58 PM

I appreciate the info, I'm just trying to find all the info I can. It will be interesting to hear how your experience goes.

caseys 03-12-2010 05:57 PM

I have never had anyone actually look to see what was installed or not. That main thing is to pass the emissions test. Take your truck to a shop to have the emissions tested for pass/fail before going to the Washington DMV test site. Just a thought...

Brian Abington 03-15-2010 04:33 PM

really? never look under the hood or under the car even?

caseys 03-16-2010 08:13 PM

Now I am only speaking from my personal experience over the years going to get our vehicles checked for bad breath. For our '96 they just plug in a doo-dad under the steering wheel. I can not remember a time that a hood was ever lifted up or someone sticking their head under the vehicle.

Maybe others can chime in with their observations...

lostmybeer 03-17-2010 12:14 AM

My hood has not been opened or looked at for emissions. As the years go by, my opacity rating gets lower. Truck is straight piped with a stack.

superduty4x4 03-18-2010 12:09 PM

Just don't move into Spokane county, problem solved :D
I sent you a PM Brian Abington, let me know if I can be of help.

Brian Abington 03-19-2010 05:44 AM

good to know, and superduty4x4 thanks for the unrelated info in the pm I appreciate it.

rupejosh 03-24-2010 03:17 AM

spokane county sucks anyway

Brian Abington 03-26-2010 04:14 AM

sucks how?

lemonshindig 04-05-2010 05:58 PM

sucks because they have emissions testing. :)

I grew up in Spokane. They don't look for emissions equipment. They plug the computer into your cigarette lighter, type in the VIN or scan it if it's a newer vehicle, and then put the tester up the tailpipe and check emissions at idle and at 25mph.

It's super, super easy to pass. If it's in tune, you'll pass.

Buzz44 04-07-2010 12:19 AM

Smog Checkout

Hey BA if that 94 has an OBD they may hook up to that. I know thats how they check my 98F150 out. Never under the hood or in the tail pipe. Im pretty sure the OBD will give up all your sins under the hood. No OBD you pays your money you takes your chances.