Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Replacement Mirror Glass for Camper Special (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/938553-replacement-mirror-glass-for-camper-special.html)

RedDirtLandscaping 03-11-2010 02:27 PM

Replacement Mirror Glass for Camper Special

I am looking for a single piece of replacement glass for my 69 F250 Camper Special. Local parts houses get "close but not quite". We have even tried cutting other glass, but the curves are next to impossible to do. Any suggestions that are not the peel and stick plastic?

jowilker 03-11-2010 04:04 PM

You know you can grind your radius with a belt sander??

John :-X06

NumberDummy 03-11-2010 09:18 PM

Replacement Mirror Glass for Camper Special

Originally Posted by RedDirtLandscaping (Post 8627269)
I am looking for a single piece of replacement glass for my 69 F250 Camper Special.

Local parts houses get "close but not quite". We have even tried cutting other glass, but the curves are next to impossible to do. Any suggestions that are not the peel and stick plastic?

Ford did not sell mirror glass for trucks of this vintage, but the mirror head w/the glass was replaceable by itself.

Does your truck have the original 'Hi-Mount' Western Mirrors used on Camper Special's, or something else?

The original Western mirror head is 6" x 10" about one inch thick and flat. It was available in stainless, though a painted version was also available.

It has three vertical embossed lines on its backside. If this description matches your mirror heads...

C7TZ17723A .. "Western" Mirror Head-Stainless Steel / Obsolete

ANTIQUE AUTO SUPPLY in Arlington TX has ONE = 817-275-2381.

ED BENNETT FORD PARTS in Lebanon PA has ONE = 717-275-8762.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has FOUR = 704-786-8139.

No Ford Dealer, no other obsolete parts vendor has any.

redthhies 03-11-2010 10:21 PM

I just pulled the glass out of my west coasters two days ago and the local auto glass place made me a new one for $8...

Thipdar 03-30-2010 08:36 PM

When I was faced with replacing a shattered LH mirror, I replaced it with an old Peterbuilt mirror. Had to move the mounting brackets, but it bolted on. I also replaced the rusted mounting hardware with stainless hardware. I actually moved the RH mirror over the the LH side and mounted the larger mirror on the off side (for better off side visibility). Cats eye mirrors on each to help with blind spots.

Parked on the street in Reno one afternoon and went in to a bar to wet my thirst. When I came back out, I noticed someone had clipped my driver's side mirror. The mirror was ok, but the mounting arms had pulled loose from the body. I managed to push them back into place with brute force, while muttering "Baby, I hope you gave as good as you got".