Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arizona Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum80/)
-   -   Please help. Electrical draw (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/936769-please-help-electrical-draw.html)

lostman 03-05-2010 08:34 PM

Please help. Electrical draw

I have this narrowed down now but I'm needing someone good at electrical systems to help me out.
I'm completely stumped and could probably find it given time, but I don't have much time before I need to move. Top that off with just being laid off, and money is an issue too.

Anyone that has a wiring diagram I'd really appreciate the help!

See my other post in the main PSD forum for 4.5amp electrical draw.

lostman 03-06-2010 04:02 PM

No help?
Anyone know of a good auto electric place to take this then? I was just laid off and was hoping to figure this out myself but am unable to get to the bottom of it.

If you know of anyone/anyplace please PM me.

Thanks

CrazyKen

helifixer 03-06-2010 06:17 PM

simplest way is to pull all the fuses and hook up your multi meter in each one set on amps when you find the draw see what that fuse is for (listed in the owners manual) most common are lights in sun visors (bad mercury switch)

lostman 03-06-2010 07:24 PM

I wish it was just one fuse! If I pull 5 fuses I can get the draw to stop. (I have put the multimeter in line between power supply and power distribution box.)
Any one of the 5 in place will start the draw again. Strange!!

helifixer 03-06-2010 08:06 PM

you have to check how much draw, there are keep alive circuits for the pcm, the radio maybe the gem. these are low draws. you need to look for a large draw if you are having battery issues. the alternator can suck a battery down if the diode bridge is bad, an alternator usually is a large draw

lostman 03-07-2010 01:58 AM

I used to mechanic but never dealt much with electrical problem, I'm really not that great at that part of it.
Not sure where to even look now. When I pull the alternator out of the ciruit (disconnect) I still have the draw. It is always close to 4.5 amps.
I've checked over the entire harness, even have the inner fender out to get to stuff easier. Everything appears to be in good shape, no chaffing, cut wiring, burned, etc.
I think I'm actually going to have to throw in the towel and figure out how to pay someone to do this for me.
I don't like conceding. I haven't had anyone touch on of my cars/trucks in years, but don't feel like I have any options right now.

lostman 03-07-2010 06:23 PM

Has anyone ever had a draw this big before?
I've checked anywhere that I could find in other posts but nothing seems wrong with the wiring.
I really need to get this up and running again. I just let my other car go and this has to be my daily driver now.

Bill W 03-07-2010 08:53 PM

WOW! do you have a draw if you unhook the battery?

lostman 03-07-2010 10:12 PM

Ok, so here is my new findings.
I had the power completely disconnected from the distribution box and it still pulled the batteries down.
Anybody know what would be inline before the distribution box? I believe that narrowed it way down but the only way to know without the wiring diagram would be for me to start chasing wires.
I think it gave me a new starting point though. I just can't figure out what would have drained the batteries with everything disconnected that way.

helifixer 03-08-2010 07:48 AM

starter solenoid not opening all the way? just a wag!