Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Having a hard time being a Ford Truck Enthusiast (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/936003-having-a-hard-time-being-a-ford-truck-enthusiast.html)

BigDaddy6969 03-03-2010 01:14 PM

Having a hard time being a Ford Truck Enthusiast

OK guys, a few years back I bought a 2007 F-350 with the 6.0 PSD. The thing wasn't a bad truck itself, but the motor was absolute junk. It didn't get great mileage, made only decent power and blew injectors every 10K miles like clockwork. I traded it in for a 2008 Dodge 3500 CTD, the Dodge does everything better than the Ford could ever think of, better mileage, WAY more useable power, and no problems to date (60K miles). So I figured oh well, its no secret the PSD sucks so I'll just cut my losses on that one.

At the time of the trade for the '08 3500 I also had a '08 Ford F-250 V10 auto which was quite possibly one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Unfortunately I was involved in an accident that left the truck totaled. I then went with an '08 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 auto. Didnt mind that the truck didnt have the power of the '08 F-250 but just didnt like it overall, seemed like a truck for old people so I traded it off (against my gut instinct) for an '06 Ford F-250 5.4 auto. The F-250 with the 5.4 was one of the worst trucks I've ever driven, one of the most gutless vehicles I've ever experienced, front end was crap at 30K miles, just an overall bad truck.

My dilemma is this-I've traded the F-250 for an '09 Dodge 2500 5.7 auto which I am very fond of. So in a nut shell I am what I consider to be a Ford guy who drives 3 Dodges. Not so much because I want to but because the Ford diesels are still crap, the 5.4 is crap and the one motor I do like out of their lineup is being discontinued for a high winding V8 (like we need another one of them on the market). Is Ford trying to dispoint their customers? Why cant they be competitive in the market?

Keep in mind before replying that I am one of the few people in this forum that use trucks for their intended purpose. I dont live in the city, I dont haul my kids to soccer games in my trucks, I dont use them as a grocery wagon, I pull and haul heavy loads with them so I KNOW what they are capable of and what makes them "good".

V10_Cougar 03-03-2010 01:50 PM

Sell them all and get the new 6.7L Diesel from Ford. Read this article. The 2011 Ford Superduty has been used by FPL (Florida Power & Light) since Sept 2009.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/03...y-perform.html

Everyone knows not to get the F250 with the 5.4L. What were you thinking? Also, it probably had 3.73 gears. Should have got the 4.30. It seems to me that you don't know how to pick a truck. I would have kept the '08 V10. I don't know why you went to Chevy, but that's you're personal preference.

What do I know, right? Afterall, I own a 10 year old truck, make that 11.

FordF350Superduty 03-03-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by V10_Cougar (Post 8590892)
Sell them all and get the new 6.7L Diesel from Ford. Read this article. The 2011 Ford Superduty has been used by FPL (Florida Power & Light) since Sept 2009.

How Well Does the 2011 Ford F-Series Super Duty Perform? - PickupTrucks.com News

Everyone knows not to get the F250 with the 5.4L. What were you thinking? Also, it probably had 3.73 gears. Should have got the 4.30. It seems to me that you don't know how to pick a truck. I would have kept the '08 V10. I don't know why you went to Chevy, but that's you're personal preference.

I completely agree with BigDaddy6969.Almost all of us just drive truck like he said,but a little % used it a hard.You say 6.7 Powerstroke,but what we know about this engine?Like I said before,If this 6.7 would be a CRAP! again,Ford will be die for me forever (just my point).Why (I repeat it again) is spend SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY to the NEW ENGINE when we have a years proven CUMMINS ENGINE !?:confused: I don't know !!! For me,I really like Ford trucks,but this new 2011 looks for me a little ugly,a little,especially a Head Lamp and a Huge Plastic Grill.To much plastics,less metal,in my opinion new Dodge Ram looks way better than a new Ford Superduty.I hope this new 6.7 will be a beast,great and proven engine!

BigDaddy6969 03-03-2010 06:11 PM

I'm not paying an extra 11G's for an unproven motor. Im sorry man but this PSD thing is a broken record. The 6.0 was going to be the best thing ever, then the 6.4 and now you are telling me the 6.7 will be. I'm done with PSD's.

Everyone knows not to get the F250 with the 5.4L. What were you thinking? Also, it probably had 3.73 gears. Should have got the 4.30.

I had a pretty lengthy discussion on here with a guy who's opinion I respect. I thought if I had the 5.4 and chipped it I could drive a Ford and have adequate power, boy was I wrong.

It seems to me that you don't know how to pick a truck.

Keep in mind my friend that I have owned more trucks that you have ever been in, and have had some damn good ones in my day. In the last 18 months I have owned 8 trucks all '06 and newer and all HD applications. If you want an informed first hand opinion just ask me.

I would have kept the '08 V10.

You need to learn to read dude, I totaled it out. Had I not been in that accident I would still be driving it, absolutely LOVED it.

I don't know why you went to Chevy, but that's you're personal preference.

I read a shootout on here where the '08 Chevy 2500's with the 6.0 auto performed right along with the Ford V10's. Considering V10's are VERY hard to come by where I'm from (IDK why) I decided it would be a good alternative. It was a bad truck, just not made for work. The shootout must have been bias toward the Chevy because the '08 2500 6.0 auto 4X4 I had wouldnt even start to work as hard as my '08 V10.

Had a truck a lot like yours, except mine was an '03 and I liked the hell out of it, so you apparently know you drive a good truck... other than that IDK.

jschira 03-03-2010 06:28 PM

I love my 06 CTD, but I use it on long drives, and the shape of the seat and the shape of my backside do not seem to agree.

So, I will be looking for something new soon. I just have to get something a little more comfortable when I am in the saddle 12 hours at a time.

Newcomer 03-03-2010 07:37 PM

Well, having looked at your signature and seeing the three trucks you own, I would own all three of them right now. I know that brand loyalty is a big thing among most, but I am not one of those guys. I am a TRUCK guy, it doesnt matter to me what is on the hood as long as it does what I want it to. If you really want to be a Ford guy, maybe try to go back a few years to the 7.3 PSD. Unless you had one of those too. Dont feel bad about owning a dodge, or three. I have an 89 F250, and 86 Chevy 1 ton, which by the way, you havent driven a gutless wonder until you have driven a 6.2 diesel, and I also own a 2010 Tundra. The only one I am missing is a dodge, and I will probably be owning one of them soon, as I am looking for a CTD. So, in summary, enjoy your dodge trucks Mr. Ford guy.

FordF350Superduty 03-03-2010 08:01 PM

There is a big difference between a Brand Loyalty and Blind Loyalty.Be honest guys,Ford has in pass so much troubles and problems.I'm looking now for a 1994-2002 Dodge Ram,2500 or 3500,I like how it looks plus I got a Cummins.Ford in my list too,but Dodge is first.

Newcomer 03-03-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty (Post 8592656)
There is a big difference between a Brand Loyalty and Blind Loyalty.Be honest guys,Ford has in pass so much troubles and problems.I'm looking now for a 1994-2002 Dodge Ram,2500 or 3500,I like how it looks plus I got a Cummins.Ford in my list too,but Dodge is first.

Thats the generation dodge that I am after, I am sure you know it already but if you can stand to, get one with a straight drive. I personally wouldnt want one with anything else. I would ideally like to have a 98-98 1/2 cause they have the 12 valve, but unlike 94-97 they have four doors!!

FordF350Superduty 03-03-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Newcomer (Post 8592707)
Thats the generation dodge that I am after, I am sure you know it already but if you can stand to, get one with a straight drive. I personally wouldnt want one with anything else. I would ideally like to have a 98-98 1/2 cause they have the 12 valve, but unlike 94-97 they have four doors!!

Yeah,a 12 valve Cummins is nice ! :-jammin

Hobo 03-03-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969 (Post 8590773)
OK guys, a few years back I bought a 2007 F-350 with the 6.0 PSD. The thing wasn't a bad truck itself, but the motor was absolute junk. It didn't get great mileage, made only decent power and blew injectors every 10K miles like clockwork. I traded it in for a 2008 Dodge 3500 CTD, the Dodge does everything better than the Ford could ever think of, better mileage, WAY more useable power, and no problems to date (60K miles). So I figured oh well, its no secret the PSD sucks so I'll just cut my losses on that one.

At the time of the trade for the '08 3500 I also had a '08 Ford F-250 V10 auto which was quite possibly one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Unfortunately I was involved in an accident that left the truck totaled. I then went with an '08 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 auto. Didnt mind that the truck didnt have the power of the '08 F-250 but just didnt like it overall, seemed like a truck for old people so I traded it off (against my gut instinct) for an '06 Ford F-250 5.4 auto. The F-250 with the 5.4 was one of the worst trucks I've ever driven, one of the most gutless vehicles I've ever experienced, front end was crap at 30K miles, just an overall bad truck.

My dilemma is this-I've traded the F-250 for an '09 Dodge 2500 5.7 auto which I am very fond of. So in a nut shell I am what I consider to be a Ford guy who drives 3 Dodges. Not so much because I want to but because the Ford diesels are still crap, the 5.4 is crap and the one motor I do like out of their lineup is being discontinued for a high winding V8 (like we need another one of them on the market). Is Ford trying to dispoint their customers? Why cant they be competitive in the market?

Keep in mind before replying that I am one of the few people in this forum that use trucks for their intended purpose. I dont live in the city, I dont haul my kids to soccer games in my trucks, I dont use them as a grocery wagon, I pull and haul heavy loads with them so I KNOW what they are capable of and what makes them "good".

Sounds to me like you are making logical decisions about your vehicles based on a matrix of needed capability, performance, and reliability/dependability.

Brand loyalty is for lemmings, and you are a proud citizen of the state of South Dakota if I remember correctly (in fact I'll bet we live in the same county); not many lemmings out here.

I tried to like the Ford F-150 back in 2007 when I was shopping for my first truck, and the 5.4L Ford V8 is one of the worst motors I have ever driven in a modern vehicle. As far as I could tell it converts gasoline into noise, and not much else. It must really suck it hard in a 3/4 ton truck that tips the scales 1000+lbs heavier. So I went with a Toyota Tundra (no unintended acceleration) and it has been great, easily the best vehicle I have ever owned to date. Great motor and transmission combo, complete overkill for a 1/2 ton.

Anyhow, I still like Ford products since they didn't take any damn bailouts from Uncle Sam and I wouldn't rule them out. The new 6.2L gas V8 looks promising but the peak torque comes on a little high, but it could be a pretty flat curve up to that point with 95% of it available 1K RPM before peak. We'll have to see some dyno plots to know for sure, one thing we can probably count on is stout construction and good reliability from the new gas V8. Sure it gives up some low end torque to the old V10, but there will be one more gear to play with and there is more horsepower.

As for the new 6.7L turbodiesel, that is a wait and see for many. International/Navistar has nothing to do with this new engine, and judging by how well Navistar diesels have been designed and built lately (not just in Ford pickups) that is a good thing. Ford already had a lot of in house diesel expertise from their European operations, and by most any account Ford's European diesels are excellent both in power delivery and reliability. With any luck that trend will now reveal itself on our side of the pond with the new Powerstroke, I hope it does for Ford's sake. That said I would wait a year or two before I bought one to see what issues arise, especially with the new emissions gear and the urea injection. On a related note Ford is set to hold the line on the option pricing for the new engine, so it should still be around $7K. A lot of money I know, but at least it didn't go up.

V10_Cougar 03-04-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty (Post 8591933)
I completely agree with BigDaddy6969.Almost all of us just drive truck like he said,but a little % used it a hard.You say 6.7 Powerstroke,but what we know about this engine?Like I said before,If this 6.7 would be a CRAP! again,Ford will be die for me forever (just my point).Why (I repeat it again) is spend SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY to the NEW ENGINE when we have a years proven CUMMINS ENGINE !?:confused: I don't know !!! For me,I really like Ford trucks,but this new 2011 looks for me a little ugly,a little,especially a Head Lamp and a Huge Plastic Grill.To much plastics,less metal,in my opinion new Dodge Ram looks way better than a new Ford Superduty.I hope this new 6.7 will be a beast,great and proven engine!

Evidently you didn't read the link I provided. I however, I am not saying buy the damn 6.7 diesel, I was joking.

V10_Cougar 03-04-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969 (Post 8592001)
I'm not paying an extra 11G's for an unproven motor. Im sorry man but this PSD thing is a broken record. The 6.0 was going to be the best thing ever, then the 6.4 and now you are telling me the 6.7 will be. I'm done with PSD's.

B.S. aside I was messing you.

I had a pretty lengthy discussion on here with a guy who's opinion I respect. I thought if I had the 5.4 and chipped it I could drive a Ford and have adequate power, boy was I wrong

If you had a conversation with someone, I wonder how you got persuaded.

Keep in mind my friend that I have owned more trucks that you have ever been in, and have had some damn good ones in my day. In the last 18 months I have owned 8 trucks all '06 and newer and all HD applications. If you want an informed first hand opinion just ask me

This comment here just made you look like a damn fool. Quit while you're ahead. You no squat. Do I need to add all the damn trucks I have driven in my signature. Don't be a fool. :-banghead

You need to learn to read dude, I totaled it out. Had I not been in that accident I would still be driving it, absolutely LOVED it

Boo hoo. You wrote so damn much I overlooked it.

I read a shootout on here where the '08 Chevy 2500's with the 6.0 auto performed right along with the Ford V10's. Considering V10's are VERY hard to come by where I'm from (IDK why) I decided it would be a good alternative. It was a bad truck, just not made for work. The shootout must have been bias toward the Chevy because the '08 2500 6.0 auto 4X4 I had wouldnt even start to work as hard as my '08 V10

Perhaps this can give you a broader perspective.

PickupTruck.Com - Part 1: 2007 PickupTruck.com Heavy Duty Shootout

Had a truck a lot like yours, except mine was an '03 and I liked the hell out of it, so you apparently know you drive a good truck... other than that IDK.

I will not say my truck is best on the planet because it aint. I aint brand loyal. I have driven them all and found this truck to fits my needs.

V10_Cougar 03-04-2010 11:26 AM

I read a shootout on here where the '08 Chevy 2500's with the 6.0 auto performed right along with the Ford V10's. Considering V10's are VERY hard to come by where I'm from (IDK why) I decided it would be a good alternative. It was a bad truck, just not made for work. The shootout must have been bias toward the Chevy because the '08 2500 6.0 auto 4X4 I had wouldnt even start to work as hard as my '08 V10.

If it is any consolation to you, Ford Trucks weigh 1000 #'s more than both Chevy/Ram. I'm sure you knew that, right?

V10_Cougar 03-04-2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty (Post 8592656)

What manufacturer doesn't have problems. The word is spelled "past" not "pass".

BigDaddy6969 03-04-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by V10_Cougar (Post 8595497)
B.S. aside I was messing you.

Yeah I bet you were... you did a bang up job of getting your sarcasm across.

If you had a conversation with someone, I wonder how you got persuaded.

The guy is somebody I've talked to on truck matters for a long time and he has never led me astray before. I guess he was bound to miss sooner or later.

This comment here just made you look like a damn fool. Quit while you're ahead. You no squat. Do I need to add all the damn trucks I have driven in my signature. Don't be a fool. :-banghead

The fact that I have driven a lot of trucks, used the hell out of a lot of trucks, and told you about it makes me look like a fool? You drive a truck thats 11 years old... I guess that makes you an expert on all the newer HD trucks that are out right now? I've owned them, but you reading about them makes you more knowledgeable than me? Who looks like a fool?

Boo hoo. You wrote so damn much I overlooked it.

Part of having a discussion is knowing what the other person is saying before you comment, its true the world over. If you have a hard time reading I suggest you have somebody read it too you. You missed one of the biggest points of my whole post and yet still shelled out your opinion like its your job, too bad most of it didnt matter.

Perhaps this can give you a broader perspective.

Wow, you can post a link... you want a medal?

I will not say my truck is best on the planet because it aint. I aint brand loyal. I have driven them all and found this truck to fits my needs.

I never said anything about your truck being the best on the planet, or anything about you being brand loyal. I doubt you've "driven them all" or even driven more than just a few. I am sure your truck does fit your needs, driving up and down the streets on your way to soccer practices and the grocery store. I almost guarantee you are the kind of guy that buys trucks he doesnt need and keeps the price way over inflated, thanks a lot for that one.

Furthermore, if you want to start criticizing peoples spelling around here I highly suggest you dont use the word (or lack of) "aint". Also, you arent bringing anything to this conversation, you are just being an ******* and I would appreciate it if you didnt post anymore in this thread.

P.S. There is more than a few words in this post, maybe you should have somebody read it to you a few times to make sure you dont miss anymore important parts of what I'm saying.