Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   5.4L Oil Pressure Sensor Location (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/933479-5-4l-oil-pressure-sensor-location.html)

04mudslinger 02-23-2010 08:44 PM

5.4L Oil Pressure Sensor Location

I have a 2000 F150 5.4L 4x4. I understand the oil pressure sending unit is near the oil filter, correct? If so, does the oil filter need to be removed to get a hand back there to remove the sensor? I tried feeling around and couldn't reach it. If I have to take the filter off, how much oil will I lose on a cold engine? I am still 2000 miles away from a oil change.

I have the problem with the guage going to nothing and back up to normal in a matter of seconds. I don't have any loud noises, so I know I am getting oil.

Thanks!

chaser1602 02-24-2010 07:41 PM

You wont lose any more oil than you do when you change the oil.Or just wait 2000 miles

vze2sgxa 02-24-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 04mudslinger (Post 8556016)
I have a 2000 F150 5.4L 4x4. I understand the oil pressure sending unit is near the oil filter, correct? If so, does the oil filter need to be removed to get a hand back there to remove the sensor? I tried feeling around and couldn't reach it. If I have to take the filter off, how much oil will I lose on a cold engine? I am still 2000 miles away from a oil change.

I have the problem with the guage going to nothing and back up to normal in a matter of seconds. I don't have any loud noises, so I know I am getting oil.

Thanks!

I just did this replacement, I think it was a code 1248 or something like that pointing to sensor. The sensor is just above and slightly behind the filter mounting boss, you access it from behind the front diff, drivers side. Crawl under there and put a drain pan under it, you will catch about 1/2 to 1 full cup of fluid when you remove it. I had to buy the special oil sending unit socket from AdvanceAuto to get install it, none of my deep sockets fit over the part that connects to the pigtail. I was able to use a deep socket to remove the existing one - the old unit is smaller in size and socket fitting, the newer one is a redesign version, a little more stout, got it at Ford dealer. You will need a long extension and one swivel connection to get up and over the front diff to get at it. I used a long pick to pull on it and a long screw driver to gently lift up on the locking tab while removing the pigtail from sensor. The new OEM unit comes with threads coated with thread lock on it, but I added two turns of pipe tape just in case. Whole job takes about 1/2 hour, just take your time and don't cross-thread the new sensor, install it by hand then torque it down to spec. Turn the engine on to test, you won't have anymore problems.

04mudslinger 02-25-2010 07:41 AM

Thank you vze. That is the info I was looking for.