Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Powerstroke vs Cummins vs Chevy's 6.5 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93332-powerstroke-vs-cummins-vs-chevys-6-5-a.html)

tmaas 01-20-2003 05:56 PM

Powerstroke vs Cummins vs Chevy's 6.5

Which is the better engine? I'm starting to be not as partial to chevy as I used to be. I'm starting to really get into Fords. But which would be the better engine to have? I've been eyeing BD Power's website lately and it shows more of the Cummins Diesel than the rest. Are they a better engine?

wolfmanagh 01-20-2003 06:04 PM

My bus has a 5.9 cummins, (same as dodge)
We are not too impressed with the engine. We do more repairs on it then we do on nine 7.3international engines. Usally its leaky injector lines.

Kenworth 01-20-2003 07:45 PM

Don't fall into the Cummins hype just because its a Cummins doesn't make it a better engine over a 7.3 IDI or PSD you see more 7.3 and PSD powered vehicals doing serious work then you see a Dodge Cummins doing.

If you like Fords give them a try you will never go back to any other brand :-X10 Chevy trucks are good the 6.5 engines are not if I had to buy a Chev it would be a gas pot.

1956MarkII 01-20-2003 08:12 PM

I'd like to know how Chevy gets away with putting aluminum heads on the cast-iron block of the Dura-Max engine........

tmaas 01-20-2003 08:28 PM

Thanks guys. I really don't like the Dodges. I've just got the old budget problem. This is going to be my second truck. Right now I have a 94 Chevy S10 ZR2, and i'm getting kind of sick of it. All kinds of emissions and sensor problems because of the d**n Vortech engine. It's a good strong engine that can compete with the 5.7's, but the emissions are just terrible on it.

I really like the sound of the powerstrokes compared to the 6.5's and the 5.9's, sounds more real. Also, my brother just got a new 2003 F350 7.3 and my cousin just got a 1997 F250 7.3, so it's probably my turn. :D But they go for too much up here.

I don't know what to do. Anyone know the specs on the engines?

mbnv992 01-20-2003 11:24 PM

Spec's on the engines is located in our super-duty FAQ section, here on the boards, great info. in the FAQ (thanks to the people who took the time to make it up :):) ) Anyway, I'd recommend you go to a local dealer and test drive the new 6.0L PSD engine. Raw power. Sounds a bit different than the 7.3L, and I found not as noisey, but man, thats "get in, buckle up, and hang on for dear life" power. Evean going up large hills/steep grades. You will be impressed. If, as you said, price is an issue, then stick with the Proven 7.3L. I have the 7.3L, but am seriously looking into trading it in mid this year for the 6.0. I was REAL impressed by that engine, and I think you will be too.

tmaas 01-23-2003 08:58 AM

What was the first year of the 24 valve 5.9. They were supposed to have more power than the 7.3's and the 12V 5.9 right?

spartamouse1 01-23-2003 10:42 AM

easy there 1956markII, don't chop down those aluminum heads on the chev too quick, have you looked at a new 6.0 powerstroke yet?

that was the first thing i saw about the new motor that has me a little worried.

johnsdiesel 01-23-2003 03:46 PM

Originally posted by spartamouse1
easy there 1956markII, don't chop down those aluminum heads on the chev too quick, have you looked at a new 6.0 powerstroke yet?

that was the first thing i saw about the new motor that has me a little worried.

The new 6.0 doesn't use aluminum heads if that's what your talking about. It uses iron heads, just like the 7.3 (per Ford website). As far as a 24v Cummins having more power than the 7.3, not. The 7.3 has more HP and torque than the Cummins with the exception of the new Cummins available in the 2003 trucks.

spartamouse1 01-23-2003 04:08 PM

maybe i am going blind but, it looks aluminum, my magnet won't stick to it, the block is black and the heads are bright and shinney? walks like a duck quack likes a duck???

FTE Ken 01-23-2003 05:20 PM

Its not aluminum and I see no reason why the International engineer I spoke to in Dearborn would lie about it when I remarked about the aluminum on the Duramax.

johnsdiesel 01-23-2003 05:23 PM

If you go to Ford's website and go to the section about the new power stroke they clearly state that it is iron block and heads. No aluminum heads in the new 6.0.

Kenworth 01-23-2003 11:26 PM

The 6.0 is all cast iron its no aluminum head car engine like the Duramax :-X05 Navistar will never build a mickey mouse engine because they have a reputation to keep up. I don't like the idea of smaller displacment Navistar but the numbers on the paper look good. Atleast this engine is smog legal everywhere where the HO Crummins is not, the Cummins corporation is too scared to change their design they could never build a V-8 diesel engine. We will have to see what the new Mercedes is going tobe like when Dailmer starts putting them into the high quality Dodge trucks.

spartamouse1 01-24-2003 08:12 AM

i have some pictures i just took of a 6.0, if i knew how to post them there i would. ken payne i would like to e-mail them to you and let you decide if you can give me a address to send them to.

FTE Ken 01-24-2003 09:44 AM

Ford Press Release:

"The 6.0-liter Power StrokeŽ V-8 engine is a direct-injection, 32-valve diesel with an all- new cast-iron block and cylinder heads. It employs a single, block-mounted camshaft in a compact overhead valve design for low friction and durability."

Either:

1. Ford is lying in their press release
2. You're mistaken
3. You have a one of a kind truck

Which of the three options is the most logical?