Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   I need pcm help really technical (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/932825-i-need-pcm-help-really-technical.html)

hotrd3g 02-21-2010 09:43 PM

I need pcm help really technical

I posted a thread concerning 4 builds and another fried E4OD, and I have narrowed it down to a computer problem. I found on ATRAs site that solenoid 1 grounds when shifted into 1st gear then solenoid 2 grounds for 2nd and then solenoid 1 ungrounds for 3rd and so on. My pcm is grounding solenoid 1 no matter whether in park reverse neutral or drive. This is keeping 1st engaged all the time. I built this tranny and it worked great for 2 days then all of a sudden went to neutral while driving and now has no forward
gears. I unplugged the pcm connector and removed the harness to the tranny and checked each wire for a short to ground and found nothing. I checked the wire coming from the pcm and its grounded all the time. Also no forward with connector unplugged from tranny to check failsafe. So I know the tranny is fried. This is the 3rd pcm reprogrammed from Ford. Can anybody help me? Please?

tjbeggs 02-22-2010 07:42 AM

Has the PCM just been reprogrammed or was it a new piece of hardware each time?

MADVAN 02-22-2010 08:57 AM

The only time SS1 goes in a off state is when it gets a command for 3rd or 4th gear.

A pcm in limp can hold SS1 in a on state.
Clear the faults in the pcm and retest.

Lack of F/R are bigger issues.

Bill

hotrd3g 02-22-2010 03:25 PM

The pcm was replaced with a reprogrammed one. The only codes are ebpv malfunction which has been plugged off and keep alive memory error but no check engine light and no overdrive light blinking. Why would ss1 be on in park or reverse or neutral, ss1 is for first gear and second and your right disconnects for 3rd and 4th.?

hotrd3g 02-22-2010 03:32 PM

What is lack of F/R?

strokin'_tatsch 02-22-2010 03:37 PM

lack of F/R is lack of forward/reverse.. thats all i know that has been posted so far. haha

tjbeggs 02-22-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by hotrd3g (Post 8549546)
Why would ss1 be on in park or reverse or neutral, ss1 is for first gear and second and your right disconnects for 3rd and 4th.?

I don't know but trust what Bill says. He know more about these transmissions than I will ever be able to learn!

MADVAN 02-22-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by tjbeggs (Post 8549708)
I don't know but trust what Bill says. He know more about these transmissions than I will ever be able to learn!

What a crock! You have the brains.
You just need the time!:-drink

The start of it. Op's other tread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-the-dust.html

Hotrd
You never answered questions in the other tread (pressure testing)

A quick check to see if its pumping is to remove a cooler line and start
it up. This will only tell you that the tc is turning the pump.
As of now you have bigger issues than a possible defective pcm.

Bill

Hussler 02-22-2010 06:53 PM

Part of first post ...

Put it back in the truck and it worked great for about 20 miles and then my coolant guage to the engine flickered then I lost all forward gears all at once.

I'm auto transmission stupid but that one comment has bothered me and might have some significance, probably not. :-huh ,,,

Talyn 02-22-2010 07:20 PM

Message mark kovaliski and have him show up here.

tjbeggs 02-22-2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 8550573)
Message mark kovaliski and have him show up here.

:-dancing1:-wow

MADVAN 02-22-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tjbeggs (Post 8550608)
:-dancing1:-wow

Does he know quack?:-missingt

Bill

hotrd3g 02-22-2010 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hussler (Post 8550432)
Part of first post ...

Put it back in the truck and it worked great for about 20 miles and then my coolant guage to the engine flickered then I lost all forward gears all at once.

I'm auto transmission stupid but that one comment has bothered me and might have some significance, probably not. :-huh ,,,

My point exactly.

I left the other post because it was more or less ads for trans builders. If we all can't put our heads together and come up with a solution then what is this site for.
Nobody has answered the previous about my coolant guage. I believe it is connected to the pcm. That's when it failed.

So ok I'm going to change it up a bit.

What is the difference in 97 and 99 powerstroke operating systems.
How hard would it be to swap to a 4R100. It seems to me to be the same motor. Maybe not.

Maybe a 6 speed swap. A 5 speed doesn't have enough towing capacity.

I got to get another tranny anyways so why not right?

strokin'_tatsch 02-22-2010 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by hotrd3g (Post 8551375)
My point exactly.

I left the other post because it was more or less ads for trans builders. If we all can't put our heads together and come up with a solution then what is this site for.
Nobody has answered the previous about my coolant guage. I believe it is connected to the pcm. That's when it failed.

How hard would it be to swap to a 4R100. It seems to me to be the same motor. Maybe not.

the 5 speed not enough towing capasity?! the ZF5 is stronger than any of the autos that u have had in that truck, IMO. the ZF5 will hold up to plenty of towing. the one thing about the ZF6 i like is the gears are closer, but the ZF5 does plenty good in mine.

if you go ZF6 you will have some issues i'm thinking, but it can and has been done. the ZF5 would be easier obviously since it's from the same era truck. that is if u don't want to fix the auto. i'm not sure whats wrong with the auto, but i'm sure Bill and Tim of all people can point u in the right direction to find the issue.

tjbeggs 02-23-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by hotrd3g (Post 8551375)
My point exactly.

Your coolant temp gauge is in no way connected to the PCM. There are 2 engine temp sensors. One is a overtemp switch that goes to the over temp light by the Wait to start light. The other is hooked to the gauge in the instrument cluster. Neither are wired or communicate with the PCM. BUT the temp gauge flutter could be a sign of an electrical system problem like a power or ground issue for the whole truck which could affect the PCM.

The 4R100 is pretty much the same transmission as the E4OD. The 4R has a few more sensors but that is about it. Not much to be gained going that route. The ZF5 would be the easiest swap but by the time you do that you could have had your E4 built by a proven builder and get the eletrical issues worked out.