Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Swap a Flathead into a '57 - '60? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93272-swap-a-flathead-into-a-57-60-a.html)

VespaJay 01-20-2003 02:23 PM

Swap a Flathead into a '57 - '60?

A slow, slow day at work leads to some oddball daydreaming . . .

Has anyone ever seen a Ford flathead swapped into a '57-'60 F100? I want to eventually swap my 223 for a Ford V8, so I might as well make it interesting. Seems like it would be just as much work as any other swap, but with a MUCH better exhaust tone.

So . . . anyone ever seen this, or done it?

- Jay

BlueOvalRage 01-20-2003 03:45 PM

I've seen Henry L-heads in lots of weird places, but let's look at the logistics of this for just a second. A stock flathead is rated at 100 HP. I don't know what your 223 is rated at, but I guarantee it is more than that. So, since you mention that it is just as much trouble as anything else, why put yourself through the grief of installing an under-powered 50-year-old engine with a "hot temper", limited local parts availability, and limited transmission options in your truck when you could install a bone stock 302 with twice the horsepower for the same amount of trouble? Boring? Oh yeah. Practical? Without a doubt.

mtflat 01-20-2003 08:23 PM

Pay no attention to the infidels, VJ. You're obviously a man of distinction and extreme good taste in power plants.

You may have to remind them that you didn't ask about efficiency, but about classic sound and the WOW factor.

Structurally it can be done. Tranny choices include C4 and T5 adapters in addition to all the old grinders. If you have a decent NAPA store in town they can get nearly any part you need. A good clean built motor doesn't overheat, produces hp on comparable terms to some larger engines. 175 horses is pretty easy with the typical upgrades to carb, cam, high comp heads, headers, etc. Look at this link -

http://www.241computers.com/ford/Con...s20-32-40.html

Have fun - life's too short to settle for normal!

fatfenders 01-20-2003 09:01 PM

And now for the tie breaking vote............ they're both right. Everything 'rage said is completely true. You will have to build it up right and put some good gears in it too or it will run weak. Figure a huge radiator while your calculating the budget. Ford Pinto 2.3 engines had 110 HP and weighed about 2000 pounds in the early days if that puts 'rages numbers in perspective at all. Please don't ask me why I am a Pinto spec guru.

It would be a cool swap but hardly a freeway cruiser. Depends on your intended use of the truck.

'fenders

Kai 01-21-2003 03:45 AM

I love Flatheads. Still remember the times when I had the '50 F1. We bought it in Panama City, FL, drove it up the back roads to Baltimore (with a thousand thumb ups on the way), shipped it to Germany and drove it for a while as a work truck. It was black (pretty flat, so), had the 100hp flatty with "three on the tree" and some loud pipes. Man, this was way cool.:cool: :cool: :cool:

... now about your plan. I would not do it. It just does not sound right to me. Old car - old engine, old car - newer engine, but newer car and older engine ? hmmmm. On the other hand, people put "old" pushrod style engines in late model cars which came with overhead cam engines. Guess the reason for that is because you can have brutal power at a fraction of the price compared to building a late model HiPo engine. However, that's not true for the flat head vs. 60s style I6 or V8 even so there's more powerfull flattys than the stock I6.

I see another flatty in my future, but that one has to be between some real vintage frame rails. Just my 2 cents.

truckzilla 01-22-2003 12:09 AM

I had a flathead in my 60. It was in the back while I took it to the metal recycler:-X10