Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Gotta grinding noise from the front end (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/930475-gotta-grinding-noise-from-the-front-end.html)

SpeedRebel09 02-14-2010 12:13 PM

Gotta grinding noise from the front end

Truck is a 1996 Ford F-150 4x4 supercab XLT
5.8 351w, E4OD tranny. borg-warner 1356 electric shift.

Recently after doing a little mud slinging, nothing big, and not even revving high, I started hearing like a grinding noise while driving down the road, normally around 1500 rpm afterwards. However when the truck is in park I cannot make it make the sound. Considering that's the power band for this motor, I thinking it's in the motor.

I've already replaced the Hubs, inner and Outer bearings. At first thats what I thought it was. It sounded almost like a bearing grind.

I had thought about the motor, but considering I could not make it make the noise while in park, I ruled it out.

I have caught it doing it while in gear, but not in motion.

Any ideas? Really racking my brains.

9.ford.5 02-15-2010 01:02 PM

sounds like something to do with the tranny....but im not big on autos...so thats about all the help i can be

nighthawk283 02-15-2010 02:55 PM

Yes I also getting a little thought it is your tranny. it's a automatic? And I have manuel 4.9L and it grinds on 3rd gear when I switch it but it's the sycros.

Paco_Jones 02-15-2010 11:50 PM

have caught it doing it while in gear, but not in motion.
That scares me... I would lean towards the tranny too.

bigmacmonday 02-15-2010 11:54 PM

I agree. something with the tranny. Is it E4OD? might be rebuild time

9.ford.5 02-16-2010 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by nighthawk283 (Post 8518177)
Yes I also getting a little thought it is your tranny. it's a automatic? And I have manuel 4.9L and it grinds on 3rd gear when I switch it but it's the sycros.

man these manual trannys can go forever on bad syncros if you drive accordingly...take it easy and i bet that tranny will still last as long as the rest of the stuck...unless other stuff goes too...my syncros are completely shot...and the shift forks are bent...and that what i know of...and i can still drive daily LOL...it only goes into 3rd when it wants though...and going from 2nd to 4th is getting old...getting a new tranny and NP-205 t-case this week:rolleyes::-blah

SpeedRebel09 02-17-2010 12:15 AM

Well thats the thing I just had the tranny rebuilt last year. Since it has the same housing as the F-350's I had the tranny guy beef it up a little. Well, he seriously beefed it up with a serious after market torque converter, and a Stage 3 extreme shift kit. But if there's any problems with the tranny, this particular automatic tranny, the O/D light will flash. Damn elctronics.

However on a brighter note, I looked at the motor mounts. THEY ARE SHOT. There's actually an indention in the firewall where the tranny has been hitting. I have both motor mounts and plans to repalce them satruday.... Give an update then.