Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   Moving to MI!!! Where to live? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/930444-moving-to-mi-where-to-live.html)

Peter94 02-14-2010 10:24 AM

Moving to MI!!! Where to live?

Hi everyone, I have lived in MN all my life. I have 1 more year of school left, and accepted an internship with Ford Motor Co. in Allen Park, MI for the summer.

I was wondering, any place I should try and avoid living in? I was looking around and I would probably get a place in Allen Park, Lincoln Park, Southgate, Taylor, or some of the surrounding towns. Any town in particular that would be better than the others? Or any specific apartments that you would recommend, or avoid?

Also, what kind of activites will I be able to do during the summer? Anything I should do while I'm in MI. Like visit a Ford plant, Museum or anything like that?

Thanks alot,
Peter Tuma

Talyn 02-15-2010 12:09 PM

Depends on how long of a commute you want to have.

Some others on here like Pat know the area much better than I do.

officer131 02-15-2010 04:29 PM

Out of the cities that you mentioned Allen Park is ok. I have a friend there and he hasn't had any problems in the area that he lives. I would stay away from lincoln Park and some parts Taylor if possible (IMO).

Now there is also Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Westland. Stay away from detroit as much as possible.

Once you have narrowed your search down, call the local police department and ask them if there are many problems with the apartment complexes. Now, they wont ever tell you not to move there, so what you should ask "do you frequently patrol, or respond to that area?" that right there should give you an idea of what type of place it is. I will tell you from working experience the most common problem with apartment complexes is noise complaints and domestic/family trouble. Walls are thin and noise travels throughout.

Depending on your ride, I would suggest a complex with underground parking if possible with a gate. The so called security at some of these places just suck.

As far as tranportation goes. You have access to Southfiels freeway, I-94, so you are minutes away from just about anything you want to do. Watch out for the police on I-94.

As far as things to see. There is the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn that you can go to. In the summertime they useally have a few call shows there. I have attended with some of the families vehicles.

Again depending on the travel time you want I can help you narrow it down to a better location.

Where is the ford building that you will be working at? headquartors, plant, etc.

Any other questions just ask.

Peter94 02-15-2010 04:40 PM

I'm working in the ford tech call center. 1700 fairlane drive. I noticed there is an aparment complex (Willow cove APTS) just about 2 miles from there. Any idea what that is like?

How about southgate? I have noticed alot of nicer looking apartments there. Currently I have a 40 min commute, which I would like to see one closer to about 20 min or less each way.

I will have my 04 F150 with some high theft items such as DVD player, Edge programmer, etc. So does anything come to mind with secure parking? I would be SUPER ANGRY if someone stole anything out of my truck or intentionally damaged it in any way. So having a garage/restricted parking would be great.

Thanks alot for all of your help, I cant tell you how valuble that information is to me.

Talyn 02-15-2010 11:12 PM

Detroit is in top 5 for crime in the US, and Flint is in the top 3.

If that tells you anything.

No offense to any ethnics, but flint and detroit keep racism alive. Just an FYI.

Peter94 02-15-2010 11:59 PM

Great, well I dont plan on visiting Detroit or Flint. What are the rest of the cities like around that area though. Is Allen Park greatly effected by this?

officer131 02-16-2010 01:03 AM

I just searched the address of the call center through google earth. Looking at that I used to work at michigan Ave & Telegraph. That was Dearborn Heights.

There is a mall near there called Fairlane. The mall used to be really nice, but now has turned for the worse.

Once again, about the apartment complexes you would have to call the local police and see if they will tell you anything. In the city were I work we have some nice ciomplexes, but we are there all the time for misc things.

With taking the travel time and the cities in the area, Southgate may be your best bet. Westland is pretty nice. I said before my friend lives in Allen Park. Area of Southfield Fwy & Allen Rd, and he hasn't had any problems.

From working experience, I would suggest that you find a complex with gated and underground parking. Again from experience if someone wants your DVD player then they will break the window and take it. Items that are stolen from the vehicle are more so the owners fault for leaving them out for people to see or hear (radio). Ex: GPS units, laptops, purses, change in the cup holders, speakers.

Dont get me wrong but every area has there own "slum" section in some form or another.

Now depending on the ethnic/racial background you prefer if any.

Southgate: mostly white.
Westland: mostly white
Allen park:: white, black
Dearborn: chaldean/arabic, white, black
Dearborn Heights: chaldean/arabic, white, black
Inkster: black
Lincoln Park: mostly black

Peter94 02-16-2010 09:30 AM

Thanks Al,

My brother is an officer in Minneapolis (not the good part) and i've been on ride alongs with him before. I just dont want to wind up in a bad part of town, and stuck there for 3 months. I think I'll be looking around in Southgate.

Talyn 02-16-2010 10:50 AM

Yea, Detroit cops even learn a special martial art, its called "detroit cop"
Basically, prepare for a beat down, cause the hardcore ones are bad-mofo's

You should come up to flint though, flint's bad area's are pretty tight knit, You can visit flint and still see sorta what it was at one time.
I'll take you around to a classic flint restaurant or 2. =)

And damit, where is pat.

just another truck 02-16-2010 11:18 AM

Remain South of Southfield fwy, Better area, better School District, dont get to far to the East, Lincoln park may have run over. Better school distirct, better kids.. Parkway appartments are gated. To far to the West is Taylor, another area not to get to close to.

Allen Park itself is a decent area, my Brother was a cop there for about 6 years, they have less crime there then they do in the city he is now.

Sorry it took so long for me to chime in, was waiting to talk to my Brother before I piped in, rather have the info right.

A couple of decent Irish pubs I might add.

Peter94 02-16-2010 12:08 PM

Good to know, and I look forward to maybe meeting up with some of you once I am down there.

Talyn 02-16-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks for chiming in Pat.

Milwaukee1979F150 03-21-2010 06:43 PM

You would be better live in Taylor or Trenton or Woodhaven.

Stay away from Dearborn or Dearborn Height trust me you don't like foreign people there. We aren't along with them. And they rear ended me 3 times in 2 years of drive though them.

Detroit you better carry weapon for safety.

greenmachinejohn 03-21-2010 08:54 PM

My Father works around where you are going to. We live in Brooklyn, Mi Quite a drive but a great area. Chelsea is a great choice. We are country folks so we love the acreage. My true suggestion is find a job in the South. Michigan has a sucky economy and its hard to find work.

Talyn 03-22-2010 10:10 AM

Chelsae and clinton are both nice area's, as well as techumse