Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   fuel tank move (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/929833-fuel-tank-move.html)

jweave 02-12-2010 01:42 AM

fuel tank move

would like to move the tank from behind the seat to under the frame on my 66, i have a 78 parts truck with the tank behind the rear end ,can i make it work and how much trouble will it be? dont mean to seem dumb,just kinda green.

DillonZ81ford 02-12-2010 02:02 AM

there is no way to use the behind the seat tank...the only fesable way to do that...actualy there is two...the first is to use the other box if its the same body style im not sure..sry....the other wood be to mount the tank in wich is pretty easy..you will just have to find the proper gear for the truck...then run a filler hose up in th side of the box....cut a hole on the inside of the fenderwell and neatly hide the filler cap iside the fender well...make sure its ran between the outside shell and the inside shell of the box.

jowilker 02-12-2010 04:11 AM

The frame rails are wider behind the cab starting in 73. It can be rigged but will not fit like it is currently.

Is the one in the cab leaking? There is no real gain for removing one.

John :-X06

jweave 02-12-2010 07:00 AM

not leaking,just thought it would be safer and give more seat clearance

jowilker 02-12-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jweave (Post 8503528)
not leaking,just thought it would be safer and give more seat clearance

No known safety issues, gas tanks have been behind seats for many years with no real problems. Rubber hose between tank & filler neck can go bad and you can get fumes in the cab.

The seat does not hit the tank, so nothing gained there.

daveengelson 02-12-2010 06:26 PM

Considered the swap, for no particular reason, been driving the 65 for some 40 years and fuel tank was never an issue. John mentioned the fuel hose between tank and filler neck; also learned not to top the tank off, aint found a gas cap yet that sealed properly and the fumes can be annoying especially when cornering. .

If decide on swapping, here's couple links may find helpful. Suggest compare tank sizes, would be nice if donor tank would work seems may not require relocating the filler neck.

Installing a Mustang tank in a 60’s vintage Ford

Installing a Mustang Gas Tank - Tech Articles - Classic Trucks Magazine

IsoGrifo 02-12-2010 09:19 PM

the gain is obtaining storage behind the seat, nothing major, but decent. or you could put shallow mount subs if you want!

fordman67 02-13-2010 10:17 PM

Do the makers of the oversize 73-79 tanks maybe make one for the early narrow frame trucks that may fit if turned 1/4 turn then use a street rod type flush mount cap inside the bed.That is my hope with my 64.I have a Diesel in it and will not have the stinky diesel in the cab with me.I have had sveral of these trucks and you always smell the fuel.

I also agree on at least a little storage is never a bad thing.

jowilker 02-14-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by fordman67 (Post 8511295)
Do the makers of the oversize 73-79 tanks maybe make one for the early narrow frame trucks that may fit if turned 1/4 turn then use a street rod type flush mount cap inside the bed.That is my hope with my 64.I have a Diesel in it and will not have the stinky diesel in the cab with me.I have had sveral of these trucks and you always smell the fuel.

I also agree on at least a little storage is never a bad thing.

Man, the best thing to do is go yarding and measure up some tanks. One needs to be creative with his upgrades at times.

Diesel is about like that spray on engine cleaner, the smell stays around through next week. :'(

Bill W 02-14-2010 09:33 AM

From what i have read the bronco II gas tank will fit in the back.

SlickFreak 02-14-2010 11:12 AM

The Isuzu rodeo/Honda passport fuel tank fits nice. It has an LP in tank pump that can be used as a pick up on wire it in and use it. You want one from the early years, they are painted flat black by the back hatch. BTW these fuel tanks were made here in the USA...

664x4drvr 02-14-2010 08:02 PM

gas tank

I moved mine on my 66, used 1" square tubing and late 60's mustang tank. getting rivets out is worst part.

fordman67 02-14-2010 08:28 PM

Yea that diesel REALLY stays around!

RJP66F100 02-14-2010 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by jowilker (Post 8503270)
Is the one in the cab leaking? There is no real gain for removing one.

:-kneeslap:-kneeslap

SlickFreak 02-15-2010 12:14 AM

I'm one of those dummies that likes not smelling gas while driving...or hearing the float banging around...or not dumping gas all over the side of my truck when fueling...and oddly enough, I like the extra few cubic feet of space behind the seat to store stuff...I wonder why those dummies at ford decided to stop putting the tanks in the cab since its such a great location...