Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Need Help With Wheel-Size Options For 6'' Lift (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/928872-need-help-with-wheel-size-options-for-6-lift.html)

motor-man 02-08-2010 08:18 PM

Need Help With Wheel-Size Options For 6'' Lift

Hey guys,

In a couple weeks I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a Pro Comp 6'' lift, with some wheels. I just cant decide on 35s or 37s, and would like some opinions/input. I will be running 20'' rims either way, with a M/T tire.

Those of you with a 6'' and 35s, are you happy with your set up? Do you wish you went with bigger tires? As for everyone else, do you feel a 35 tall tire is too small for a 6'' lift? Reason I ask is because you can run 35s with a level, and I'll be doing 6''.

Basically the reason why I would run 35s is to have a real wide stance. I believe this means a negative offset and a large backspace? (correct me on this...). What kind of offset and backspace would I be looking for to get a real wide stance? This reason, plus I would be able to experience lots of wheel atriculation w/o rubbing. I say this now, but I doubt I would ever be doing that kind of wheeling.

I reckon that with 37s I would not be able to run a wide stance with a wide tire (say 13.5'') without rub. Is this correct? How wide do you think I would be able to go with 37s.

Opinion are much appreciated. Pics are always great too!

Thanks.

Fordfanatic4life 02-08-2010 11:08 PM

keep in mind gonig from 35"s to 37"s will be a big difference in power for your truck to overcome aswell..

even going from stock tires to 35"s is noticable.

it comes down to how much you use your truck and what for..

a 6" lift and 37" tires makes using the bed a real hassle, and basicly destroys the truck for towing big loads/trailers.

personaly with 6" lift i think the ideal size is a 36" tire. but those are getting to be more and more rare.

rotun 02-09-2010 12:55 AM

6" lift with 37's are going to give you alot of rub. Stick with the 35's or go to at least a 7" lift. You will not notice much difference with tires up to 37" with your PSD when towing, I have used the stock (34.5") and the 37's to pull the same load, there is a difference but not much. Also depends on your driving habits as to which will save you on fuel, I like to drive at or above the speed limit and with 37's I'm sitting at 2000 rpm (peak torque) while doing close to 80mph. With the stock size at 80mph the rpms are around 2600 and I'm burning more fuel.
You also might want to reconsider using 20's as well, 18's will get you a softer ride and more flotation if you should need to drop air pressure, the lift will change how your truck rides as far as stiffness so the smaller wheels will give you more rubber between you and the road.

motor-man 02-09-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life (Post 8488393)
keep in mind gonig from 35"s to 37"s will be a big difference in power for your truck to overcome aswell..

even going from stock tires to 35"s is noticable.

it comes down to how much you use your truck and what for..

a 6" lift and 37" tires makes using the bed a real hassle, and basicly destroys the truck for towing big loads/trailers.

personaly with 6" lift i think the ideal size is a 36" tire. but those are getting to be more and more rare.

Thanks,
I am aware of the power loss gong to the bigger tires.
The truck is not hauling any huge loads, just a single axle 12ft enclosed trailer full of bikes and gear, so I don't think that's an issue.

Originally Posted by rotun (Post 8488659)
6" lift with 37's are going to give you alot of rub. Stick with the 35's or go to at least a 7" lift. You will not notice much difference with tires up to 37" with your PSD when towing, I have used the stock (34.5") and the 37's to pull the same load, there is a difference but not much. Also depends on your driving habits as to which will save you on fuel, I like to drive at or above the speed limit and with 37's I'm sitting at 2000 rpm (peak torque) while doing close to 80mph. With the stock size at 80mph the rpms are around 2600 and I'm burning more fuel.
You also might want to reconsider using 20's as well, 18's will get you a softer ride and more flotation if you should need to drop air pressure, the lift will change how your truck rides as far as stiffness so the smaller wheels will give you more rubber between you and the road.

Thanks.
Can anyone else tell me that I would experience rubbing with 37s and a 6''? Because I thought that was the common combo, 4'' = 35s, and 6'' = 37s.
Unless your saying that they'll rub if I run with a wide stance?
And okay, but I think I've got my mind made up on 20s.

Can anyone let me know what kind of rim I'm looking for if I run 35's with a really wide stance? They would be 35x13.5x20s. What offset and backspacing am I lokking for?

thanks.

bbender85 02-09-2010 11:17 AM

35's. only reason i say that so surely is you said you are for sure running M/T's... which IMO can pull off more wheel gap then an A/T or highway tire (looks-wise). personally i don't like the stuffed look, like you get when guys run 35's with no or minimal lift. plus, if it's not going to be just a street queen, you'll appreciate the extra clearance when you articulate the tire up into the wheel well wheelin' it... i rubbed my 35's with 4.5" wheeling it a couple times.

just get a wheel with less backspacing, to get them out a little. i run 4.75 b/s on my 315's (35x12.50) w/ ~6" of lift.

2000silverbullet 02-09-2010 11:25 AM

6" and 37's will rub. I'm running 6.5" with 37's (37x13.50) and they rub on the leaves at full lock.

Furian 02-09-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 8490065)
6" and 37's will rub. I'm running 6.5" with 37's (37x13.50) and they rub on the leaves at full lock.

The OP has a 2007 Super Duty (coil spring front suspension) so that won't be an issue...

shamrock442 02-09-2010 12:19 PM

I am running 37's on a six inch suspension lift from rcd with 20" xd rims. I have the toyo mud terrains. My truck came with 18 inch rims from the factory but after i put the lift on and new 35's on the factory rims i just didnt like the look and at the time if you wanted load range e tires in a mud terrain on 18 inch rims there were not a lot of choices and that is a pretty tall side wall so i went with the 20 inch rims and 37's to get the load range i needed. Love them you can check my pictures out in my info.

2000silverbullet 02-09-2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Furian (Post 8490185)
The OP has a 2007 Super Duty (coil spring front suspension) so that won't be an issue...

Missed it in his sig, thanks for the heads up.

TxFireman1972 02-09-2010 03:45 PM

Like one of the posters said...you wont notice any power loss with 35's. The trucks factory tires are 34" tall, so going up an inch wont even phase the diesel motor.

Now as far as the 35's or 37's quetion.... lol. I have have a 6" with 35's right now (actually 5.5" in the front and 6" on the rear, specs in signature). I started stock, went to a leveling kit, then went to 4.5" ICON, then added the TEI spacer for 5.5". Thought I was happy there, but have gotten bored with my 35's. The UPS ma n showed up today with some more parts!!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/DSC01543.jpg

ICON 7" Coils
ICON 7" Box kit
ICON Remote Reservoir Shocks
ICON Stem to Eye Shock Adapters
ICON Stainless Brakelines 6-8" lift

I'm gonna throw that stuff on and pick up a set of 37's on 20's (which means my 35's and 18's are for sale in classifieds section)

I use my truck like a truck to. I pull trailers all the time and use the bed like a bed.

motor-man 02-09-2010 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bbender85 (Post 8490042)
35's. only reason i say that so surely is you said you are for sure running M/T's... which IMO can pull off more wheel gap then an A/T or highway tire (looks-wise). personally i don't like the stuffed look, like you get when guys run 35's with no or minimal lift. plus, if it's not going to be just a street queen, you'll appreciate the extra clearance when you articulate the tire up into the wheel well wheelin' it... i rubbed my 35's with 4.5" wheeling it a couple times.

just get a wheel with less backspacing, to get them out a little. i run 4.75 b/s on my 315's (35x12.50) w/ ~6" of lift.

Great, thanks for the input. So I'm looking at getting less backspacing. How much less do you think I could go before I would rub with 35s? And what about offset?

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 8490065)

Okay good to know. So if I ran 37s I would not be be able to run em wide at all...

Originally Posted by shamrock442 (Post 8490256)
I am running 37's on a six inch suspension lift from rcd with 20" xd rims. I have the toyo mud terrains. My truck came with 18 inch rims from the factory but after i put the lift on and new 35's on the factory rims i just didnt like the look and at the time if you wanted load range e tires in a mud terrain on 18 inch rims there were not a lot of choices and that is a pretty tall side wall so i went with the 20 inch rims and 37's to get the load range i needed. Love them you can check my pictures out in my info.

Your truck looks awesome. Do you have a rub at all? Do you ever take er off-road? When you say you didn't like the looks of the 35s, was that bacause of the 18'' rim, or because there was just too much space in the wheel well? What would you recommend to me, 35's or 37s?

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 (Post 8491066)
Like one of the posters said...you wont notice any power loss with 35's. The trucks factory tires are 34" tall, so going up an inch wont even phase the diesel motor.

Now as far as the 35's or 37's quetion.... lol. I have have a 6" with 35's right now (actually 5.5" in the front and 6" on the rear, specs in signature). I started stock, went to a leveling kit, then went to 4.5" ICON, then added the TEI spacer for 5.5". Thought I was happy there, but have gotten bored with my 35's. The UPS ma n showed up today with some more parts!!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/DSC01543.jpg

ICON 7" Coils
ICON 7" Box kit
ICON Remote Reservoir Shocks
ICON Stem to Eye Shock Adapters
ICON Stainless Brakelines 6-8" lift

I'm gonna throw that stuff on and pick up a set of 37's on 20's (which means my 35's and 18's are for sale in classifieds section)

I use my truck like a truck to. I pull trailers all the time and use the bed like a bed.

Is that actually what stock tires are? 34''? That makes me want to go to 37s....

I notice you run a wide-stance. What backspacing and offset do you run? Were you happy with the setup you had? (looks like your new one will be great) Would you recommend something like your old set up to me?

TxFireman1972 02-09-2010 05:01 PM

I oredered my wheels with less backspacing (4.5") so they would stick out more. I like the wide stance too. I am VERY happy with my current setup, just wanna go a little bigger lol,

motor-man 02-09-2010 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 (Post 8491389)
I oredered my wheels with less backspacing (4.5") so they would stick out more. I like the wide stance too. I am VERY happy with my current setup, just wanna go a little bigger lol,

Okay great, do you know what offset those monsters are? You don't by any chance have a picture of your truck from the front or the back, so I could see how much the tires stick out?

MobeyDick 02-09-2010 05:31 PM

My 35s rub on my 06 with an 8" lift, 37s would tear the fender wells out.

TxFireman1972 02-09-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by motor-man (Post 8491532)
Okay great, do you know what offset those monsters are? You don't by any chance have a picture of your truck from the front or the back, so I could see how much the tires stick out?

These are the exact wheels I have:

XD Series XD778 Monster Wheel

I'll try to get some pics.