Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Exhaust Manifold Glowing Red (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/927342-exhaust-manifold-glowing-red.html)

truknut1972 02-03-2010 11:41 PM

Exhaust Manifold Glowing Red

My truck wasn't running right and I checked the timing and the exhaust manifolds were glowing red. What causes it? It doesn't have any power. I couldn't get it over 40mph. Thanks alot..

wickedklown83 02-03-2010 11:45 PM

1st guess to me sounds like a clogged cat converter, building heat up to the mani's and causing lack of power

ryan f150 4x4 02-03-2010 11:50 PM

I 2ed this get her fix befor u crack a manafold there bad foe it on are trucks

zxwut? 02-03-2010 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by wickedklown83 (Post 8464725)
1st guess to me sounds like a clogged cat converter, building heat up to the mani's and causing lack of power

Good thought!

skyfox10 02-04-2010 12:08 AM

did you get to check the timing?

bigmacmonday 02-04-2010 12:11 AM

clogged cat. The clogged cat and heat in the manifold will both make a large performance loss and might crack the manifold if you run it like that especially if some water gets splashed on it or somethin

rockin300 02-04-2010 01:13 AM

most likely the cat

BCHauler 02-04-2010 01:36 AM

Make sure the timing has been checked.

Ken Blythen 02-04-2010 02:24 AM

As above - if timing is significantly retarded, the exhaust valve is opening while combustion is still taking place & overheated valves, seats & manifolds result - plus low power.

1Aauto 02-04-2010 10:59 AM

Did you look under the truck and is the cat glowing as well?

nathandennis1 02-04-2010 11:11 AM

just cut the cat off and call it a day. lol also cheak and see if its running rich and timing.

1Aauto 02-04-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by nathandennis1 (Post 8466158)
just cut the cat off and call it a day. lol also cheak and see if its running rich and timing.

Let us know how yah make out.

T;)

truknut1972 02-05-2010 12:03 AM

Well I did check the timing before I drove it. It was 20 degrees TDC, so my cousin set back to 10 degrees TDC. Then he shut the engine off and installed the chip for the advance. Then I fired the engine back it was running good for a couple of minutes and it started to run rough again. So he put the timing light back on it and the mark was bouncing everywhere. Well I got in it and drove it about a mile and it wouldn't get over 40 mph. So I turned it around and it barely pulled up the driveway. It felt like it something was holding it back. like choking it off. Then we raised the hood and the right manifold was glowing and the left one was not as red. I haven't done nothing to it today. I have been asking around what do everyone thinks about it. Thanks again.

truknut1972 02-05-2010 12:33 AM

This is my first Ford truck that I've owned. It's a '92 F150 w/ 302 and the E4OD trans. 3:55 gears. It has 76,500 miles on it. I bought it about 2 years ago with 63,500 miles. It still had all the original parts on the truck. So I put heater hoses, belt, radiator hoses, flushed the cooling, new tires, thermostat, dual exhaust, belt tensioner on it. That was the first year I had it. It was one of the peeling paint problems, so I saved up some money and started taking it down to paint it. Well after I painted it, I put it together and started driving it and it started acting up ( going down the road and it would just cut off and it would pick back up) after 3 weeks it was being the computer. So I replaced that. Well this past June my boy was wanting to go see the peaguins at Chattanooga Aquarium for his birthday. So we load up and go toward Chattanooga. We get about 2 hours away to take a pit stop and I notice it' s pouring transmission fluid. We rent a car and go on to the aquarium, then we go back home. The truck is still 2 hours away in McDonalds parking lot, so Monday I get it home. The torque converter got too hot and berped 2 quarts of trans fluid , I put a new TC in it and a cooler in it. Got that fixed. Drive it for awhile and I been noticing a oil leak, antifreeze, and rearend leak. So then last week my cousin and I tore it down and put a timing chain, water pump, heater core, oil sending unit, harmonic balancer, and radiator in it. It has never had the timing pill in the truck, and everybody said it needed it. So I put it in the truck, boy it ran alot better.Well this past Friday night it started holding itself back again, so Monday I took the chip out it ran a little better but the rpms were about 300-400 higher than normal at 55 mph. And it don't feel like the lock out on the TC was locking in. So I got the trans guy to drive it and he said he thought it was in the timing so that where I'm at now with this post.. Sorry for this long post. Thanks alot for your help.

turnofftheradio 02-05-2010 08:55 AM

if only one manifold is glowing, I would consider a fuel injector leaking a possibility. Sounds like you have a few problems from that last post.