Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Water in heat/ac vents after rain (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/926437-water-in-heat-ac-vents-after-rain.html)

Daryl Hunter 02-01-2010 01:38 PM

Water in heat/ac vents after rain

Don't get much rain here in SoCal except during the winter.

After the last rain I noticed that there was water in the heating/ac vent system - or at least that's where I think it was.

When I made a right hand turn some water slopped out onto my foot and gave me quite a shock for a second till I figured out what had happened.

I suspect that there must be some kind of drain tube for the vent system that's become clogged, but before I start crawling around under the truck and dash I figured I would ask here first.

Anyone seen this before and have a helpful tip on clearing the clog?

Thanks

Futuresweets-10 02-01-2010 02:07 PM

Very odd.... I cant be of much help, but in the 3 years ive owned my truck ive had water in my overhead console/display three times... Kinda hit or miss...

Daryl Hunter 02-01-2010 08:55 PM

Thanks, for the reply.

I don't have any water leaks through the windows, headliner, or sun roof. Have not run it through a car wash since the rains, but whenever I did, no leaks were noticed.

JKBrad 02-01-2010 11:04 PM

More than likely the windshield adhesive is breaking down and causing the leak. Time for a new windshield with new adhesive. You might be able to find a glass shop that will be ables to seal it up without replacing it. After 7 years it should be pitted up enough to justify a new one though.

Futuresweets-10 02-03-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by JKBrad (Post 8454987)
More than likely the windshield adhesive is breaking down and causing the leak. Time for a new windshield with new adhesive. You might be able to find a glass shop that will be ables to seal it up without replacing it. After 7 years it should be pitted up enough to justify a new one though.

If a glass shop can re-seal it with out new adhesive they are breaking the law. If they try to re-use the same windshield they are also likely breaking the law. Laws vary from state to state, but in most both are illegal. The windshield is a vital part of roll over protection and protection for the driver from objects thrown from the road. Re-sealing a windshield that has adhesive broken down does not solve the real problem. The adhesive would never break down if it was installed properly... If it is the windshiled have a qualified glass technician put a NEW WINDSHIELD in. If they tell you they can reseal it or pull it out and re-install it, I wouldn't consider them qualified.

JKBrad 02-03-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Futuresweets-10 (Post 8461099)
If a glass shop can re-seal it with out new adhesive they are breaking the law. If they try to re-use the same windshield they are also likely breaking the law. Laws vary from state to state, but in most both are illegal. The windshield is a vital part of roll over protection and protection for the driver from objects thrown from the road. Re-sealing a windshield that has adhesive broken down does not solve the real problem. The adhesive would never break down if it was installed properly... If it is the windshiled have a qualified glass technician put a NEW WINDSHIELD in. If they tell you they can reseal it or pull it out and re-install it, I wouldn't consider them qualified.

Good point about the integrity and legality. Didn't know that.

In the Southwest it's not uncommon for winshield adhesive to break down after 8-10 years or so, especially on a vehicle kept outside. Clean water leaking from under the dash is usually what indicates the problem.

BPofMD 02-03-2010 12:30 PM

If it is warm enough to be using the air conditioning there, after it has been on a little while, check under the passenger side (and a little forward) to see if you can see a little drip of water (smell it) to make sure the drain is open. No water coming out, it's probably clogged and you'll have to get that tube cleaned out.....Other than locating the other end and blowing thru it, I don't know how that might be done.... someone should be by here soon that it may have happened to and can tell you what he did!

Daryl Hunter 02-03-2010 01:43 PM

Thanks guys,

I'm about 99.9% sure that it's not the windshield leaking.

Will try to get some quality time with it this weekend and investigate further.

Daryl

lgh1157 12-22-2013 04:25 PM

Daryl did you ever solve this issue ?

This just happened to me this afternoon

Thanks !

L

Daryl Hunter 12-22-2013 04:53 PM

I went through and made sure all vents were not clogged and it hasn't happened since.

Not sure exactly what fixed it though.

Gmerz 04-10-2023 08:25 AM

Water leaking on passenger side

I have a 2008 F350 6.4 Powerstroke. I noticed my floor on the passenger side was wet after it rains. After many hours of trying to figure it out I believe I found the culprit. Under the windshield cowl there is a spot where the PCM clips on. Rain water was running down the windshield and through this hole and straight down the fresh air vent. It appears that there was something covering that hole at one time, but I got the truck without it. I can't seem to find anything online about what it was that covered the hole. Does anybody know what I need here or can send me a picture of what is supposed to be there? Thank you in advance.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...7d6e0ea443.jpg

JKBrad 04-10-2023 10:11 AM

I don’t have my Super Duty anymore, but by the looks of the adhesive residue left behind I’d say it was a thick vinyl decal of some sort.

Gatrucknut 04-14-2023 07:22 AM

Yep, Had this exact issue... The water is dumping in from the air box upper vent. You will need to remove your passenger side wiper, and then the plastic close out panel under the wiper. If you look with a mirror from the center of the trucks cowl opening for the wiper arm assembly, you will see where the air vent box has its fresh air intake coming through. on the far passenger side, you will have a thick, aspahlt like material patch that is covering up the access hole to the vent area. Use a heat gun to remove this gently (youll be reusing it) and then you have easy access to the top of the vent box. Make sure you seal up around it very well around the base (it sticks up about an inch or two from the surrounding surface.). Put the seal patch back on and heat the edges up a little so they adhere good to the cowl. This reduced my leak by about 90%..... I also removed the blower motor from the front of the vent/ac box and drilled a clean 1/4 inch hole in the fwd and rear chamber of the box assembly. No more water....