Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Auto trasmission to manual transmission conversion. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/926124-auto-trasmission-to-manual-transmission-conversion.html)

terrylamar 01-31-2010 04:53 PM

Auto trasmission to manual transmission conversion.

I have a '95 Ford F350 7.3 with a automatic transmission. I would like to convert it to a manual transmission. What are my options as far as manual transmissions that will fit or can be fitted with a little work?

RRranch 01-31-2010 05:03 PM

why? Your truck is a lot easier to get around in than mine. It has a higher towing capacity with the auto too. I like my standard one but it get's old real fast in traffic with that close ratio.

If you really want to do it you are almost going to have to get a donor truck. Dealer doesn't carry most of the small parts anymore and there are a lot of differences.

terrylamar 01-31-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by RRranch (Post 8448412)
why? Your truck is a lot easier to get around in than mine. It has a higher towing capacity with the auto too. I like my standard one but it get's old real fast in traffic with that close ratio.

If you really want to do it you are almost going to have to get a donor truck. Dealer doesn't carry most of the small parts anymore and there are a lot of differences.

I drive a big truck so 5 or 6 shifts don't bother me. I might have to get used to not double clutching though.

Correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't it depend on what manual transmission you put in for the towing capacity.

I am thinking of putting on a truck camper, nothing too big and hitting the wild, remote, outdoors. I need something that is bullit proof and reliable. I have not been impressed with my E4OD over the years.

RRranch 01-31-2010 05:20 PM

I have a very big truck camper and a horse trailer that we use all the time. The only reason I use the stick shift truck is that it's a 350 with camper package. Sway bars and all that stuff. It needs it with the camper. It has factory overloads too. It's so much easier to maneuver around with the auto. Don't get me wrong, I like the stick, but it's getting a little tiresome and not worth the hassle all the time. I drive big trucks too. A super 10 in mine. I don't have to use the clutch in that one though except for starting or stopping. Sliding the gears in the Ford is not always a good thing.

All Ford stick shifts that have come factory in the trucks have had a lower towing capacity than the autos in the same truck since the early 90's. Maybe the mid 80's. I;m not sure. I think the heavy zf in mine is only rated at 20000 pounds by the manufacturer. The auto is rated a good bit more. They are good transmissions but you have to take care of them. Also not just any trans shop can rebuild them. I do mine myself but only because I have to and I have the tools.

fordpride 01-31-2010 05:23 PM

donor truck for sure i will be doing it in the next month or so but i have a donor.from what i looked up sofar it's mot too bad if you have both trucks side by side for reference and parts

terrylamar 01-31-2010 05:29 PM

Having a donor truck is a very good suggestion, which I hadn't thought of. I am just now starting to plan for this.

What I am looking for now is what transmission should I start looking for? What transmissions will fit?

I am looking at a NV5600. I'm not sure it will fit or not and how much trouble it will be to make it fit.

RRranch 01-31-2010 05:32 PM

Stick with the correct year ZF transmission. It will be a lot less heartache. It has to come from another powerstroke. Gears themselves are different. ratios are different and they are closer together.

You have to have the PCM from the truck with the stick shift too. They are different.

terrylamar 01-31-2010 05:40 PM

RRanch, is that snow I see in the background? From a month or so ago? If so I delivered out in El Paso for that storm. I run the lower 48 and Canada, that was the most snow I had been in up to that time and a few weeks later. Damn Global Warming!