Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   clunk when driving in the snow. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/926006-clunk-when-driving-in-the-snow.html)

climber338 01-31-2010 09:50 AM

clunk when driving in the snow.

guys ive been dealing with this for 2 years now and its going to snap my axle shaft one of these days. Im scared to take it out in a snow storm because the truck will clunk and then realease. Its a split second thing but its enough to notice and make me worry alot. I cant figure out why and ive done the plugs and wires but that didnt solve the problem. It only happens when its snowing or when i drive though a gust of wind that has stired up some snow. I know it must be something electrical because it only happens when there its cold and wet and not all the time. In the rain it does not matter but when it snows i just wont go out at all. The truck is a 2003 4.0 4x4 with a manual. Not a funtion of the 4 wheel drive it happend in 2wd as well.

reddog99 01-31-2010 10:25 AM

Why would you think an axle shaft would break from bad plug wires? Anyway, when you say clunk, it makes me think that the splines on your rear driveshaft need re-greasing, but the comment about engine work is puzzling (a clunking driveshaft is a common Ranger problem). Can you give a better description of the "clunk"?

climber338 01-31-2010 11:08 AM

like i said above it only happens when it is snowing. In the rain there is no problem. When the sun is shining there is no problem. It only happens when it snows or when i drive though wind that has swept up some snow into the air so thats why i think its electrical. I thought it was my rear end gears at first but when i took the rear end pumpkin off the gears looked just fine. The clunks is enough to jerk your head forward and maybe if it was dry i would hear a tire chirp. Other times its not as bad but still enough to make me worry. The truck will jerk forward for a split second and then it feels like it realeases. I can kinda compare it to when my brakes blew up (thats what the mechanic said). He said that the rear brakes were digging into the drum and creating a clunk and it felt like that. I replaced all of the rear brake parts on both sides so its not that. Could it be something that could do with the intake like the maf or something like that?

mramelbass 01-31-2010 04:32 PM

It seams to me that a clunk is a mechanical problem, and that you are barking up the wrong tree looking for an electrical issue. I think if this were happening to my truck, I would 1st check all my motor and transmission mounts. Next I would check all my chassis bushings...radius arms and sway bars. You can check all these with only a visual inspection. Next I would put the truck up on VERY stable jack stands.....all four wheels off the ground....shake the H@ll out of each tire and check drive links, drive shafts, center carriage bearing, U-Joints and axles. Now take the tires off.....wiggle, poke, and prod both front and back braking systems.
If you still can't diagnose the problem.....maybe someone else has some input...pawpaw or rockledge

mramelbass 01-31-2010 04:36 PM

I forgot to add checking shocks, springs, shackles and connections of those items to your truck.
Good luck...i hope it is found easily.....things like this take lots of patients and due diligence.

climber338 01-31-2010 09:07 PM

the reason why i think its electrical is because i never have this problem until its SNOWS. It never happens when its raining or when the sun is out. If it was mechanical then it would happen all the time. I had this problem last year but i had a jeep as well which i drove in the snow. I finally got the plugs and wires done and then never got to test my idea, I was wrong. As i was driving home from school it started to snow hard and then the clunking began. Its almost like the trucks engine stops for a split second and then because the truck is moving it gets started back up again right after.

powersmoked 02-01-2010 09:12 AM

I agree with mramel that it is something mechanical and you should check everything. I also agree with reddog that you should check your "2 piece" driveshaft( I think you might have the 2 piece but i am not sure). I believe it is suppose to be lubed with a certain grease. maybe the reason it happens in the snow is because the snow allows the tires to spin thus exacerbating what ever issue you have

powersmoked 02-01-2010 09:42 AM

I am not even sure if your 2003 has this but I thought i would give you the link in case it does. I am still thinking you have some issue with a ujoint, slip yoke/driveshaft cv joint, or something similar and that the snow is allowing your tires to spin and exposing the issue. Greasing the slip yoke: How-to - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

pgw85706 02-01-2010 05:01 PM

Also 2 threads in the stickie section which includes the TSB for this maintenance item.

http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/~r..._Yoke_Lube.pdf

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-anything.html

Spindoctor 02-02-2010 09:54 AM

The fact that it happens only when it snows is strange. If it were to be a moisture issue affecting something electrical, rain should do it too. For that matter, rain should also cause traction issues too, so you'd expect the truck to behave the same way. If I understand what you're saying, are you saying that you think your truck exhibits this behavior as a result of something to do with the engine management system, causing momentary interruptions which then results in driveline clunks?

climber338 02-02-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spindoctor (Post 8456244)
The fact that it happens only when it snows is strange. If it were to be a moisture issue affecting something electrical, rain should do it too. For that matter, rain should also cause traction issues too, so you'd expect the truck to behave the same way. If I understand what you're saying, are you saying that you think your truck exhibits this behavior as a result of something to do with the engine management system, causing momentary interruptions which then results in driveline clunks?

you got it. I was reading up on the ranger station just a few hours ago and it has something to do with the maf sensor i think. I think that the truck is kinda like back firing and its causing the truck to clunk enough to jerk my head forward. If its enough to jerk my head forward then im sure its doing some damage to the drive train. Im going to replace the maf sensor and see where that gets me. If there is no change im going to the dealership because according the the ranger station its a pretty common problem.

powersmoked 02-03-2010 05:07 AM

This will be a new one for me. If you bring your truck to a dealership and they DX the problem as a maf issue that is only affected when it is snowing......wow........that will be one of those " I can't believe it moments". that would be one finicky truck...keep us posted.

powersmoked 02-03-2010 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by climber338 (Post 8459126)
you got it. I was reading up on the ranger station just a few hours ago and it has something to do with the maf sensor i think. I think that the truck is kinda like back firing and its causing the truck to clunk enough to jerk my head forward. If its enough to jerk my head forward then im sure its doing some damage to the drive train. Im going to replace the maf sensor and see where that gets me. If there is no change im going to the dealership because according the the ranger station its a pretty common problem.

I am sticking with the theory that the slip yoke needs grease or you have a bad ujoint or something that acts up when the tires spin in the snow.

RangerFleet 02-10-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by powersmoked (Post 8460218)
I am sticking with the theory that the slip yoke needs grease or you have a bad ujoint or something that acts up when the tires spin in the snow.

This is my first post, YAY!!

FWIW....

I am almost sure we have the same problem!

No spinning tires, happens only when it is snowing of there is blowing snow. I think it has to do with a sensor that is getting super cold all of a sudden. Or something along those lines....

We have a fleet of 16 and 3 have this problem right now. Only when it snows and it also seems to need a steady speed to happen. Never happens while speeding up, only when cruising along steady.

Thanks all!!

Looking forward to the answer!

powersmoked 02-10-2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RangerFleet (Post 8495515)
This is my first post, YAY!!

FWIW....

I am almost sure we have the same problem!

No spinning tires, happens only when it is snowing of there is blowing snow. I think it has to do with a sensor that is getting super cold all of a sudden. Or something along those lines....

We have a fleet of 16 and 3 have this problem right now. Only when it snows and it also seems to need a steady speed to happen. Never happens while speeding up, only when cruising along steady.

Thanks all!!

Looking forward to the answer!

This is weird, but I did a little research. To Ranger fleet this is what I would do. I would remove ab air temp sensor on the air intake from a truck acting up and swap it with a truck that is not acting up. I also would remove a maf sensor from a truck that was acting up and swap it with a truck that was not acting up. then see what happens. I am wondering if the snow is somehow getting into the intake and messing with those sensors. I would also look and make sure the airfilter was seated proeprly along with the air intake hose.