Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Idaho Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum189/)
-   -   Boy did I get lucky... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/924719-boy-did-i-get-lucky.html)

Furyus1 01-26-2010 10:02 PM

Boy did I get lucky...

OK so, I've been having issues with the heads on my truck since the day I bought it - without going into a bunch of detail I've already outlined in other forums on this site, I've had 2 exhaust valve seats crap out on me and sink the valves into the head - I fixed one and a little later, the other one crapped out...

Well, I decided to buy another set of heads and have them re-worked before putting them on the truck - I'm also planning on swapping in a CompCams cam/lifter set with a straight-up timing set...

I found a set of 351M/400 heads on a '79 F250 at Bailey's Auto Wrecking in Pocatello - However, when I got around to buying them, they had crushed the truck - heads go bye-bye...

So I dig around some more and found another yard that claimed to have heads - Wayne's Salvage Parts, also in Pocatello. I go there and talk to Doug - he first leads me to an old Chevy van he was using to store a pile of random heads - we found a pair of 351M/400 heads but they were in the most ungawdly condition - bigtime rust... He then leads me to an '83 F350 that had a '77 400 transplanted into it, but one of the heads was already removed...

That's when he tells me he has a '76 Econoline with a Cleveland in it... I was thinking maybe an M but when we went to look at it - yup, it's a Cleveland... The rocker covers were missing but the heads looked to be in remarkably good condition and the first thing I noticed were the valve stem seals - they looked to be in too good of condition to be on an engine that old. I decided to get these heads...

From what I just found out on the 335 forum, these are D1AE 2V Cleveland heads ('70-'74)...

And, here's the kicker - they've been re-worked some time in the past... The exhaust valves have all had hardened seats installed and all the valves are sitting nice and pretty - this would also explain the valve stem seals...

$35.00 each...:-dancing1

If anyone is looking for a Cleveland block, it's still sitting in that van - without the heads :-X06

Now, I just need to dig up enough money for the rest of the parts... lol...

im2tall33 01-27-2010 04:12 PM

sweat deal man..

supersle 01-27-2010 04:41 PM

Dang, nice find

Furyus1 01-27-2010 05:08 PM

I'm having them hot-tanked and magnafluxed - I may have jumped the gun on the hardened seat thing but we'll know for sure after they've been cleaned...

Don't know yet if they have 2-piece valves - I'm really hoping not as I don't want to have to go through and replace the valves and guides - especially if the angles don't match the seats... These valves have oversized stems (+3) so I'm thinking they're not original and that the guides have been reamed...

supersle 01-28-2010 09:26 AM

Where do you get them done over here on the east side? I have a toyota head I may have to get fixed for cracks and don't know if it is worth it or not yet.

Furyus1 01-28-2010 10:38 AM

I work in Pocatello so I did some asking around and people I talked to recommended Karl's Machine Shop on N. Main - he said he was about 3-weeks behind on stuff but he would try to work my heads in sometime in-between - I told him I wasn't in a big hurry for them... He's charging me $60.00 to hot-tank and magnaflux them...

I've also heard good things about Precision Machine in Chubbuck, but I haven't had anything done by them yet...

I've had work done before at the Kirkham's machine shop in Blackfoot, but they're a bit on the pricey side...

supersle 01-28-2010 02:21 PM

I live in Soda, so not too far. Good to see there are a couple places in Pokey to do it.:-dancing1