Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Seat Belts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/922299-seat-belts.html)

david00f150 01-19-2010 11:15 AM

Seat Belts

Were is the best place to find replacement seat belts for an 87 F150. I looked at LMC but they are not very descriptive on what eactly you are getting. Or does anyone have a part number.

Thanks

ky

rla2005 01-19-2010 12:01 PM

Look at some of the sponsor Ford parts vendors listed on the left side of the page. OEM parts will be pricey, but what price do you put on your or a loved one's life?

david00f150 01-19-2010 12:10 PM

My thoughts exactly!

jplinville 01-19-2010 12:12 PM

JC Whitney to the rescue!!!

3-POINT RETRACTABLE LAP/SHOULDER BELTS WITH END RELEASE - JCWhitney

david00f150 01-19-2010 12:22 PM

I was looking for specific fit belts if I can find them. Dont know if I want to got the universal fit route just yet.

lmd91343 01-19-2010 01:58 PM

I found this in my cyberspace travels:
seat belt plus

I am interested too. My passenger belt sometimes does not retract.

mprice 01-19-2010 02:16 PM

self service junkyard

jplinville 01-19-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by mprice (Post 8390038)
self service junkyard

I'd never, NEVER use a junkyard seatbelt as a replacement. You don't know if it's been in an accident and the belt stretched to nearly it's limits or not.

The universal ones out there do a great job, if you're not a purist. Even if they are made overseas, they MUST meet Federal safety specifications before being allowed here in the states.

It's your life...how much is it worth to you?

mprice 01-19-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jplinville (Post 8390198)
I'd never, NEVER use a junkyard seatbelt as a replacement. You don't know if it's been in an accident and the belt stretched to nearly it's limits or not.

The universal ones out there do a great job, if you're not a purist. Even if they are made overseas, they MUST meet Federal safety specifications before being allowed here in the states.

It's your life...how much is it worth to you?

Do you automatically replace every belt in the used vehicles you buy? What's the difference between trusting those and pulling one out of a decent looking vehicle in a self service yard? I've done it before and would do it again.

Hitokori 01-19-2010 03:48 PM

hahaha unless the retractor is messed up or the belt has a frayed place in it... its safe to use.... it takes alot to break one unless ur some 500 pound tubby hitting a block wall at 150mph.... and if thats the case then ur gunna have more to worry about than the seat belt breaking

and OMG r u seriouse..... "u dont know if its been in an accident".... its in a junk yard..... of course its been in an accident >.>

mprice 01-19-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hitokori (Post 8390432)
hahaha unless the retractor is messed up or the belt has a frayed place in it... its safe to use.... it takes alot to break one unless ur some 500 pound tubby hitting a block wall at 150mph.... and if thats the case then ur gunna have more to worry about than the seat belt breaking

and OMG r u seriouse..... "u dont know if its been in an accident".... its in a junk yard..... of course its been in an accident >.>

Unless it's like most of them that are there right now with pink paint on the engine. In that case it got kicked to the curb while it still had life in it in exchange for the "oooh shiney! more debt? yes please!".

pete17c 01-19-2010 04:23 PM

exactly what is wrong with the current ones? the retract mechanism? don't stick when clicked? the inertia stop? ..

you can get new webbing and have a 'sail-maker' (or any one with a HD sewing machine) 'restring' the old ones ..

pete17c 01-19-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jplinville (Post 8390198)

are you kidding? they don't stretch !!!! .. ever wonder why they have those 'survival tools' to cut your belt if your in an accident?

sb webbing is one of the strongest, most stable cloth materials you can get .. kevlar is the only thing I can think of that'll out do it in strength and durability

jplinville 01-19-2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by pete17c (Post 8390619)
are you kidding? they don't stretch !!!! .. ever wonder why they have those 'survival tools' to cut your belt if your in an accident?

sb webbing is one of the strongest, most stable cloth materials you can get .. kevlar is the only thing I can think of that'll out do it in strength and durability

Here is where you are mistaken.

Automotive seatbelts have a stretch (elongation) factor approx. 5%. I know because I have had to design and build a test gage for Chrysler in the past so they could batch test them.

Hey, like I said earlier...it's your life, not mine.

MAS96F150 01-19-2010 09:54 PM

hell ive seen someone use an old seatbelt to pull old delta 88. and that one was frayed, it was all he had though. they are very strong even when old