Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum171/)
-   -   Will not turn over? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/922285-will-not-turn-over.html)

fast_fred 01-19-2010 10:28 AM

Will not turn over?

I have a 2002 E550 with a 7.3L Powerstroke. I spent a few days cranking the truck over in the cold weather to finally get it to start; and I let it run for an hour before turning it off. I went out the next day to start it again and all it will do is give a clicking sound. The battery is fully charged and I do have the truck plugged in. Did I do something to cause this from the previous day of trying to continious starting it? My thought might be a bad starter selenoid? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Fred

SteveBricks 01-19-2010 03:20 PM

Have you made certain the battery cables are sound and their connections are clean?

powerstroke72 01-19-2010 07:49 PM

+1 on what Steve said. My next guess would either be the solenoid or the starter itself.

fast_fred 01-19-2010 08:19 PM

The battery cables are connected sound and the battery's are both charged. Is the solenoid located on the starter? How do I check to se if its good? Or do I just remove the starter and take it in to be tested?

Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

Fred

brassford 04-07-2011 05:39 PM

I am having the same problem what did you find was the issue?

fast_st 04-07-2011 05:44 PM

Didn't see a followup from the OP, with a diesel, get a battery tester, one of the $20 resistive ones works fine.

remove and clean every cable connection, batteries, grounds, starter. Charge each battery seperately and test each one.

If you have just a click, it could be the upper starter solenoid, look for voltage with a test light on the outbound side when the key is turned to start. If you have voltage, your next stop is the starter itself.

joshofalltrades 04-07-2011 11:29 PM

"taking it in" to be tested shouldn't be necessary, but it sounds like fred is not familiar with bench-testing his own starter, so i'll briefly describe the process. with the starter out of the truck, support the starter in a vise (by its mounting flange only, don't crush it), then connect jumper cables or other heavy cables from a battery: ground of battery to body of starter (mounting flange), then momentarily connect the positive cable to the stud where the hot wire connects. the starter should roar to life. note: avoid arcing of the terminal by having a solid connection of the positive cable to the starter, then making the final connection at the battery. note2: if a vise is not available, most starters can be held down by a man, but expect it to try to jump out of your hands.

if the starter works for a bench test, but not in the truck, its probably not getting power. rarely have i seen a good starter getting good power just click and not crank the engine, and those were due to seized engines, which i don't expect is your case.

mistakenID 04-08-2011 05:19 AM

The OP last replied to this thread over a year ago.

fast_st 04-13-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mistakenID (Post 10195291)
The OP last replied to this thread over a year ago.

Four years is plenty of time to fix your starter, someone get over there and kick his axle for not giving a good followup.