Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   Axle shaft horizontal play??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/922170-axle-shaft-horizontal-play.html)

Fullcrew7.3 01-18-2010 09:46 PM

Axle shaft horizontal play???

I finished installing my D60 last week and was just wondering how much, if any, side to side play there should be on the axle shafts????? It definitely has more on the driver's side than the passenger side. It turns well, no bearing noises, etc. It's a ball joint unit from a '91 if that makes any difference. I'm new to 4x4, so please forgive any newbie type questions. I tried searching, but didn't really know what to search for???
Thanks

79Ford4x4 01-18-2010 10:02 PM

Are you saying that the shafts slide in and out of the tubes some? If that's the case then I say none. They should be held in place inside the hub. Did you open her up before installing the D60? Also balljoint 60's started in 92

Prozon 01-18-2010 10:40 PM

Hmm.. I want to say that a little bit is okay, but I don't know.. How much are we talking here??

Fullcrew7.3 01-18-2010 11:01 PM

Yeah, there's a fair bit. Yes, it's the shafts moving horizontally in the tubes. Never measured it. Nope, never opened it up. Not using it until spring, so I guess I have time to get her apart and check it out. What am I looking for? What hold the shafts in place? You say it's in the hub?? I did have one apart to change the spindle bearing, but don't recall exactly how it went together. I'll check the tech thread for exploded views, I guess.

going up 2! 01-19-2010 10:16 AM

should have alittle play yes,if u have the spindle nuts tight and play is minimal,aroung 1/8"u should b ok.i have play in my front 60 but it is a 1978 kingpin and i have rebuilt the whole thing.

Prozon 01-19-2010 10:49 AM

Yeah.. i'll agree with what he said. There should be a little bit, but as I said before i'm not really sure about how much and such. I've never put any thought into it I guess lol.

79Ford4x4 01-19-2010 12:28 PM

The end play you speak of should be kept at the absolute minimum. If the shaft moves it lessens the ability of the seal to do it's job(mud and water can get in). Another big factor is when turning. If the Shaft is allowed to move it will take the U-joint in the shaft assembly out of phase of the upper and lower pivot points. When you turn the wheel the shaft will pivot differently, enough and it could bind up. I'm sure there could be a minimal amount that is acceptable. Just to see I went to the garage and checked my 97 BJ D60. There is no play. I pushed and pulled and got nothing

Prozon 01-19-2010 01:19 PM

Hmm.. so how do you stop it if there is play?
I think i'll check mine when I get home lol.

going up 2! 01-19-2010 01:24 PM

i should of mentioned that earlier,my shaft if fixed to spindle by spindle nuts which is bolted to steering knuckle,the shaft only moves when steering is turned.no movement when steering is straight.as i turn knuckle the shaft slightly "pulls"out.when u turn the wheel the distance between carrier in diff to the knuckle is slightly longer.

79Ford4x4 01-19-2010 04:03 PM

Now that makes sense. My understanding was when the knuckles were in the straight ahead position. I think that's what the OP was talking about too.

Fullcrew7.3 01-19-2010 07:23 PM

Thanks guys. I'll have to pull the hubs and check to snug things up a bit. That'll give a me a chance to make sure everything inside is all in order too. 79ford, that was kinda my thought about the out of phase thing. Good thing I asked. :)

going up 2! 01-19-2010 08:19 PM

full crew,id pull everthing apart before u put the axle under your truck and check all seals and bearings,better to do out of truck.dont know about your year 60 but mine has inner axle seals(diff side off axle housing)which are very important to check but back to your original post,if your spindle races,bearings,and nuts(which u should have a couple in there)are all good,u should not have any issue w/ u joint binding.

Fullcrew7.3 01-19-2010 08:57 PM

Axle is already on the truck. I don't run it much in the winter, so I've got some time now to go over it. First thing is to get a day off work to have a look at it! :)

Fullcrew7.3 02-05-2010 09:31 AM

Decided to replace the spindle bearing while I had the hub off and make sure everything was torqued correctly. I had done the passenger side when I got the axle. The only thing that prevents horizontal movement in these hubs is the snap ring outside of the locking hub. It only prevents the axle from moving out. It can still move in. That was still in place and tight as well. The axle shaft moves about a 1/4", maybe more. There must be something else that prevents side to side movement??? Inside the pumpkin perhaps?? I've looked a lots of exploded diagrams and haven't found what I'm looking for. Ideas, suggestions???

mark a. 02-05-2010 12:27 PM

What lock ins you have ? I had to shim behind the snap ring on my Mile Markers. 1/4 " is way too much, water & mud will get in from behind.