Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   PARKING BRAKE PEDAL REPAIR OR REPLACE? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/919827-parking-brake-pedal-repair-or-replace.html)

A H DEVELOPMENT 01-11-2010 06:37 PM

PARKING BRAKE PEDAL REPAIR OR REPLACE?

One day I went to engage my parking brake and when it started put tension on the parking brake cable, the pedal just slammed to the floor. Now the pedal does not put enough tension on the cable to engage the parking brake,also the pedal will not detract on its on when the release is pulled and the pedal is very loose. The dealership says the parking brake pedal assembly needs to be replaced $$$. However, it looks like maybe something could be tightened, and if not, I might try to replace it myself. Anyone experience a similar problem or has tips?

Thanks

crb_bergstrom 01-12-2010 08:12 PM

Alright this happened to me-

The wire that runs through a slot in the parking brake unit has most likely split the unit in two. When this happened to me I removed the whole system and you will see that there are a few main pieces to the component. Take it apart and remove the cable from in between them and drill some holes through the plates to keep it together tightly. I know this is not exactly detailed, but it was awhile ago. I expierienced the EXACT same symptoms as you. Dealership wanted big $$$, and this only cost me 45 minutes and some screws. Oh, but now the parking brake light does not work on the dash--- but hey, at least the brake itself works, right?

A H DEVELOPMENT 01-13-2010 03:57 PM

That sounds like it might just work. I will consider doing that if it will solve my problem. Now on the dash parking brake light/indicator, there is a small push button toward the top of the unit that the pedal arm presses when the parking brake is disengaged,I think. That could be your problem, so I am thinking maybe your repair may not allow the pedal to fully rise and/or disengage????

Thanks for the good idea crb_ bergstrom

A H DEVELOPMENT 01-20-2010 04:06 PM

Anymore ideas and/or experiences???????

CNC 01-20-2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by A H DEVELOPMENT (Post 8395835)
Anymore ideas and/or experiences???????

Replace the cables, it's really easy. Just get oem parts.

I snapped mine while depressing and went to napa and got all the parts. What a mistake. I went back and forth a half a dozen times and finally got oem Ford parts. Once I got the right parts it was a 30 minute job.

A H DEVELOPMENT 01-21-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CNC (Post 8395965)
Replace the cables, it's really easy. Just get oem parts.

I snapped mine while depressing and went to napa and got all the parts. What a mistake. I went back and forth a half a dozen times and finally got oem Ford parts. Once I got the right parts it was a 30 minute job.

The cable is undamaged and is still entacted, the problem is with parking brake pedal assembly itself.

Thanks CNC

Furian 01-21-2010 09:24 PM

I assume that you need a new "Parking Brake Control" which costs $77.50 at Ed's...

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

wendal 01-16-2016 03:25 PM

I have a question about this. I replace the parking brake pedal assembly.
I no have trouble hocking the cable back up.
I reinstall the brake pedal assemble. I went to hock up the cable under the pickup. I can't hock it up. What is the trick here. Should I have hocked up everything before bolting the pedal assembly to the side?

davester250 01-16-2016 05:50 PM

it's a two-person job. one person pulls the cable from the cab out a couple of inches, and the other person hooks the two cables together.

wendal 01-16-2016 07:00 PM

Tried that.
about 3/4 inch off

Sous 01-16-2016 08:00 PM

Remove the middle cable from the two rear cables with the bracket. This will give you enough wiggle room to connect the middle and front cables together. Then you can use the bracket that connects to two rear cables to the middle for leverage and control of the cable assembly as a whole.

I am in the process of doing this right now while installing a tuner chip. It is not hard once you get the tricks figured out.

ashleyroachclip 01-17-2016 09:52 AM

I had the same thing happen to me with regards to the parking brake assembly.
I purchased a used one from a wrecking yard for $10.00.

Sous is correct as for the cable manipulation.

wendal 01-17-2016 11:35 AM

Did it work out for you?
Do you by chance have picture if the process?
thanks again

ashleyroachclip 01-17-2016 09:33 PM

One thing when removing the parking brake pedal assembly, on my V10, I had to remove a module that was in the way, to reach one of the bolts, and make room for the unit to come out.
I did not take pictures, as I was doing this by myself.
Everything worked fine.

Sous 01-17-2016 11:20 PM

This is the part I am talking about at the end (toward rear of truck) on the middle cable.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0c2d866d49.jpg

If you use the bracket for leverage you can get one of the rear cables off, then the other. Then you have a lot of slack and room to work with the front and middle cable. Be sure the pedal is released though and the cable is not tight.