Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   HELP!!! tranny fluid pooring out of bell housing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/919104-help-tranny-fluid-pooring-out-of-bell-housing.html)

fitzy67 01-09-2010 12:43 PM

HELP!!! tranny fluid pooring out of bell housing

I am on the Pa turnpike and pulled off and noticed a strong tranny fluid smell. Recently I changed filter, fluid and drained torque converter. I now have no fluid on dip stick and see if pooring out from around the rubber plug and sheild at front of bell housing. I think it may be a main drive seal between the output shaft of the engine and the torque converter. I am going to refill the tranny with whatever fluid they have here at the service plaza and try and get farther down the road where they have some tranny seal and see if we can get the family somewhere safe.

My big question is what do you think the issue is and how much and what does it take to fix it. The tranny has 220,000 on it and I realize its probably time for a new one but that is not in the budget. HELP!!! thanks fitzy67.

projectSHO89 01-09-2010 01:19 PM

Identify your vehicle...

The transmission front seal is leaking....

joe chevy 01-09-2010 01:25 PM

tranny or engine will have to come out
sometimes you can get away with just replacing front pump seal
but be sure to check for scoring on torque converter

fordtech08 01-09-2010 02:07 PM

are you sure you tightened the drain plug in your torque converter after you drained it

alloro 01-09-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by fitzy67 (Post 8344115)
Recently I changed filter, fluid and drained torque converter.

Yup, I'd also suspect the torque converter drain bolt has come loose.

fitzy67 01-09-2010 09:19 PM

tranny fluid leak

After buying about 10 qts of "all purpose tranny fluid" and letting the car cool for a bit I went out and checked the fluid level, low of course, added about 3 qts to get it to the proper level and drove it 25 miles to an auto parts store. At the store I looked under the car and checked the levels and there were no leaks. I added a qt of "Bars Leak" and was able to drive clear into Pittsburgh (another 3hrs) frequently checking for leaks with nothing appearing.

I am wondering if it is possible that I had overfilled the tranny when I changed the fluids last week and then it took a constant 70mph drive for it to leak. What do you think?

At one of the shops I stopped at they said that Ford trucks have a common problem with higher mile trans because the bell housing gets hot and cold and starts to sagg away from the mating surface creating a leak in the pump gasket. Does this make sense to anyone?

Regardless I think if/when I get it home I'm going to put a used tranny in and trade it in for another Expy or an Excursion.

PS vehicle is a 2000 Expy 5.4 4r100 trans. What happens if you overfill an auto tranny?

Moto Mel 01-10-2010 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by fitzy67 (Post 8346052)
After buying about 10 qts of "all purpose tranny fluid" and letting the car cool for a bit I went out and checked the fluid level, low of course, added about 3 qts to get it to the proper level and drove it 25 miles to an auto parts store. At the store I looked under the car and checked the levels and there were no leaks. I added a qt of "Bars Leak" and was able to drive clear into Pittsburgh (another 3hrs) frequently checking for leaks with nothing appearing.

I am wondering if it is possible that I had overfilled the tranny when I changed the fluids last week and then it took a constant 70mph drive for it to leak. What do you think?

At one of the shops I stopped at they said that Ford trucks have a common problem with higher mile trans because the bell housing gets hot and cold and starts to sagg away from the mating surface creating a leak in the pump gasket. Does this make sense to anyone?

Regardless I think if/when I get it home I'm going to put a used tranny in and trade it in for another Expy or an Excursion.

PS vehicle is a 2000 Expy 5.4 4r100 trans. What happens if you overfill an auto tranny?

The first thing I would do is check the T/C drain plug, if you over filled it the fluid will come out at the front pump - T/C seal or the vent at the top of the trans. but it would not be as low as you described unless the seal is bad. I suspect the T/C drain plug or front seal.
Good luck with it and let us know the cure.

benshere 01-10-2010 09:48 PM

I realize its a 4r100 tranny, but this sure sounds like the old E4OD tranny problem with the converter clutches slipping, superheating the oil in the converter, and blowing it out past the converter seal. After cooling down, the seal will generally re-seat and fluid can be added and its driveable again, albeit prone to happen again until the converter is replaced. Its a common problem and many people have experienced the same symptoms, including me on my E4OD. I dont see any way for the Hot/Cold case problem you describe, the case is 1-piece and the bell cannot flex from the body of the tranny. If it were a plug missing or loose, you couldnt drive it further without the same fluid dump. Really sounds like the classic converter slippage/overheat problem.

I dont think (.02) am overfill would blow it past the converter seal at the bell. The pump system is closed and once picked up by the pump, the oil is not affected by the level in the pan. Overfill would only come out the fill tube or somewhere around the pan.

My .02 is to start looking for a converter with LUK or multiple clutches. I guess the epc (pressure) solenoid could be bad, allowing the internal pressure to go too high, that should be checked before buying a converter. LOL

fitzy67 01-29-2010 10:28 AM

The end of the story.

I found out that I had overfilled the fluid level too much and it was coming out the vent hole. Once the level got down to normal levels it was better. No more leaks from the bell housing area. It does leak from the tranny pan a little. I came to the decision though that after 220,000miles I needed to get something with less miles. I traded it in yesterday for an '04 Eddy Bauer Expy with 58,000mi on it. Beautiful truck. If anyone has any need-to-know info about the 2nd gen expy and 5.4 let me know. Thanks.

ronjeremy6 01-29-2010 09:07 PM

i own both generations (99 and 05) and love each of them for different reasons-

05:

power fold third row
two tone leather
IRS
3V motor

99:
armrests in the front seats
i actually like the leather surface better in the older one
fold down center console in second row

was your old truck a 4.6? if so, you did good. if not, personally, i would've picked up a 05+ for the 3V motor.

fitzy67 01-30-2010 07:14 AM

2000 5.4 vs '04 5.4

Both the 2000 and 2004 are 5.4. I was under the impression that the '04 was a 3v. Is this right and what are some other possible differences?

fordtech08 01-30-2010 08:24 AM

no the 3v didn't make it to the expedition until 05, the f150 is the only one to get the 3v early

ronjeremy6 01-30-2010 04:57 PM

you new expy has the exact same engine as your old expy. as stated above, the 3v made it's way into the expedition starting in 05. other minor differences is the gauge cluster, roof rack design and the switch from arizona beige trim on the 03-04 to pueblo gold in 05-06.

fitzy67 01-30-2010 06:30 PM

differences in 2000 and 2004

Did the '04 have the same body style as the 2000? If so then I must have bought an 05 because the Expy I bought is the next gen after the 97-03 styles. The interior is definately changed with the round air vents and electronic folding seats and many other changes.

alwaysfords41 01-30-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by fitzy67 (Post 8444396)
Did the '04 have the same body style as the 2000? If so then I must have bought an 05 because the Expy I bought is the next gen after the 97-03 styles. The interior is definately changed with the round air vents and electronic folding seats and many other changes.

The body style changed in '03, the round vents and power fold seats started that year.