Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Security problems (cant start truck) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/919093-security-problems-cant-start-truck.html)

GirouxBodyShop 01-09-2010 11:31 AM

Security problems (cant start truck)

So I turn the key to the on position and all the theft light flashes repeatedly. I continue to try and start it but nothing! Any ideas on what to do?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

wildcard30 01-09-2010 12:35 PM

Is the PATS key programmmed for the truck? I believe a rapidly flashing indicates problem with the PATS system. It may indicate a the key is not programmed for the truck, or some other problem with the PATS system.

Here's some additional info on the PATS system:

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) —

Principles of Operation

The ignition key read process is initiated by turning the key to the ON or START position. When a valid PATS key is turned to the ON or RUN
position the PCM queries the PATS transceiver over circuit 1215 (WH/LG). The transceiver then reads the key code and sends the code to the PCM over circuit 1216 (GY/OG). The PCM then validates the read code against stored authorized keys. If the codes match, the PCM then enables the starter using circuit 1785 (LG/VT) and turns on the anti-theft indicator for 3 seconds by applying ground to
circuit 1269 (OG/RD). If the codes do not match, the starter remains disabled and the vehicle does not
start. The PCM then illuminates or rapidly flashes the anti-theft indicator by applying ground to circuit 1269 (OG/RD).

419-01-1 Anti-Theft 419-01-1
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) — Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

Descriptions
Expanded Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Descriptions

DTC Expanded Description

B1213 Less than 2 keys programmed to the PATS control. Erase the continuous codes, cycle
the ignition, then carry out the self-test again. If DTCs B1232, B1600, B1601, B1602,
or B1681 are present, they must be serviced first. If DTC B1213 is the only self-test
DTC, program the PATS keys.

B1600 No PATS key read by the PCM. This can be caused by the PATS key, the PATS
transceiver, the circuits between the PATS transceiver and the PCM, and/or the PCM.

B1601 Unprogrammed PATS key. There is no issue with the PATS key itself, but the key
must be programmed into the PATS memory (unless the maximum number of keys are
already programmed). Refer to Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys in
this section. No parts need to be replaced for this DTC.

B1602 Partial PATS key was read. Make sure that an approved PATS key (Ford, Rotunda,
ILCO, Strattec, HUF, or Valeo) is being used. Large metal objects, additional PATS
keys, or devices used to purchase gasoline located on the customer’s key ring can
cause interference. Instruct the customer to keep such items from touching the ignition
key during engine start. It is not necessary to remove the objects from the customer’s
key ring. Remote starter equipment can also cause this DTC. Remove any remote
starter equipment close to the transceiver before conducting further diagnosis. This
DTC can be caused by the PATS key or the PATS transceiver.

B1681 PATS transceiver module signal is not received by the PCM. This DTC can be caused
by the circuits between the PATS transceiver and the PCM, the PATS transceiver, or
the PCM. Follow the pinpoint test for diagnosis. This can also be caused by using the
incorrect transceiver part number. Make sure that the correct transceiver part number is
being used.

B2103 Transceiver module antenna failure. Replace the transceiver module.

B2431 The ignition key was not programmed. Make sure that the correct key is being used.

Greg B 01-09-2010 08:13 PM

Had a problem with the wife's car similar to this. Turns out the grocery store check cashing card on her key ring was the problem. The magnetic strip with her check cashing info was being picked up by the pats receiver and wouldn't let her start the car. Took all things off her key chain that had a strip on it or a bar code and the problem was gone.

tbear853 01-09-2010 11:59 PM

B1602 Partial PATS key was read. Make sure that an approved PATS key (Ford, Rotunda,
ILCO, Strattec, HUF, or Valeo) is being used. Large metal objects, additional PATS
keys, or devices used to purchase gasoline located on the customer’s key ring can
cause interference. Instruct the customer to keep such items from touching the ignition
key during engine start. It is not necessary to remove the objects from the customer’s
key ring. Remote starter equipment can also cause this DTC. Remove any remote
starter equipment close to the transceiver before conducting further diagnosis. This
DTC can be caused by the PATS key or the PATS transceiver.
I've wondered about that, never saw it in print before. Good info!

mattd17 01-10-2010 01:38 AM

my wifes fusion just magically decided to lose the PATS codes one day. had to get towed to the dealer to have the PCM re-programmed. they had never seen such a thing before.

shorebird 01-10-2010 07:24 AM

Had this problem with my '08 F-150. the sensor loop in the collum failed. It did set a code. I forget the code although I did post it at the time.

Greg B 01-10-2010 02:00 PM

What Wildcard30 stated is pretty much verbatum out of the Ford shop manual. And extreme cold weather can cause all kinds of problems with the electronics that are on these newer vehicles. I could see the PCM or the GEM losing it's data in extreme cold weather.

newby20 03-08-2010 07:10 PM

B1681 - Error Code

Hey Group. 2001 Ranger 3.0 that won't start (No Crank, No Start) the only error code I can pull is B1681. Can anyone offer up some troubleshooting steps or insight as to where to start. Thanks.

Greg B 03-09-2010 06:24 PM

B1681 is PATS transceiver signal not received. That would cause a no start. If you have the encoded key, make sure there are no gas card or grocery store cards on the key ring with a magnetic strip on it. That can prevent the transceiver from receiving the signal from the key. If the key is encoded and there are no gas or grocery store cards on the key ring, it's possible that the receiver is bad. It's located in the steering column near the key lock cylinder.

firoscarpio 10-05-2012 10:56 PM

cOMO SOLUCIONAR CODE p1601

PDS 01-31-2013 08:11 AM

I have a code P1260 and B1213 code. I first started with recalibrate the pcm with my IDS and it up loaded fine and fired once. Then it tells me to recalibrate the IC and when I try and do that the it says no new calibration are current. The my truck wont start any more. First code. P1260. So I try and clear codes and go in to PATS and reprogram the two keys and the now the code B1213 pops up. I have tryed doing the as built data and checked all fuses. I even bought Two new keys thinking one key might be bad. but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Swaybar1 09-27-2019 01:51 PM

I have a 2003 EXC 7.3L and pulled both PATS B2103 and PATS B1681 while experiencing a no start condition. I am trying to locate the transceiver on the steering column now to see if I might have damaged it while lowering the column. I did also take out the key mechanism to get the housings off so I will inspect that also. Any help is appreciated.

YOURSHOREFIX 12-20-2022 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by PDS (Post 12779823)
I have a code P1260 and B1213 code. I first started with recalibrate the pcm with my IDS and it up loaded fine and fired once. Then it tells me to recalibrate the IC and when I try and do that the it says no new calibration are current. The my truck wont start any more. First code. P1260. So I try and clear codes and go in to PATS and reprogram the two keys and the now the code B1213 pops up. I have tryed doing the as built data and checked all fuses. I even bought Two new keys thinking one key might be bad. but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue. I'm having the exact same problem. All diagnosis leads to reprogramming 2 new keys and even after scan tool saying 2 keys programed successfully it won't start and sets codes p1260 and B1213. Also live data shows master key present but also say no keys programmed. Any guidance in what you figured out with your issue would maybe shed some light on what I'm dealing with...

redfishtd 12-20-2022 10:17 AM

Guys each year our trucks are losing value so theft is not so dramatic. The point is fixing the pats system can be costly and troublesome . I am considering sending my pcm in to the repair systems for a pats delete if I have any serious problems with it .
If I buy a antique car that would be worth much more it would not have such a system . Love to have my 57 ford fairlane back .