Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Massachusetts Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum226/)
-   -   Mass. Commercial Registration/DOT Regulations (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/918718-mass-commercial-registration-dot-regulations.html)

BlueOvalBud 01-07-2010 10:08 PM

Mass. Commercial Registration/DOT Regulations

Hello guys,
Just posted in the "Roll Call" thread!
I usually spend my nightly readings in the Diesel IDI forum, but I've got a question that applies to Mass. that I'm having trouble answering. I notice satwood has a thread about this topic as well. But, my questions are the opposite.
I have my F350 Flatbeds that I'd like to regiser for 20k pounds, insure for 20k pounds, get a DOT #, and get a DOT inspection.
Is that all a fellow has to do to have a truck for a business, and legal hauling a trailer doing so?
I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through the process on a business truck, and what their experience was like.

I know that for DOT I'll have to get-
-fire extinguisher
-chock blocks
-first aid kit
-reflective triangles
-be sure all body panes are rust-free and dent-free

Anybody have experience with this?
Thank you guys, lokng forward to a GTG someday, preferrably on a day when the truck's don't have to be fixed! ;)

BIGKEN 01-09-2010 05:52 PM

Howdy Bob...I'll take a stab at part of your inquiry. Why do you want to register the trucks for 20K??? The GVWR is no where near that...and you can only carry a load on the truck up to the GVWR. There is a Combined Weight Rating that includes the truck and trailer that Ford publishes.

At $20/1000 lbs registering it for more than the GVWR can get expensive.

It seems that different inspection facilities interpret what you need in the truck differently. I know of at least one station that maintains that you only need the chocks to get your DOT inspection.

BlueOvalBud 01-09-2010 08:45 PM

Thanks for the stab Ken!
I feel I need to register the truck for more weight because the truck is current only registered for 10k pounds, which is the GVWR.
According to the scrap metal scales in Springfield, the truck weighs 6,500 pounds empty.
So, I can only legally carry on the truck or tow 3,500 pounds. The empty weight of a horse trailer according to manufacturer's websites claims they weigh 4,500 pound empty.
Bang. I'm already over legal registered weight...without the horse.
Farmers are exempt from DOT, but I'm not a farmer and do not have farm plates.
The biggest issue is that I'm looking for a trailer to tow a skid-steer. Again, the issue with the trailer weigh arises. Empty, a tandem axle equipment trailer is 2,500 pounds. I'm now 1,000 pounds away from the weight limit and I know a Bobcat mid-range model skid steer is ballpark 6,000 pounds...making me 5,000 pounds overweight.
I know my truck only sinks 2 inches with 2 tons of lanscape stone of the bed, and hardly knew it was back there. (whoopsies :confused:)
I'd just like to make my truck legal is all. There are many business owners in the landscape and construction industries running around with trucks and trailers...but DOT has begun to have a field day with them. Down here in Southwick, they've started waving guys down into the gas stations for random checks...and most guys are getting nailed for being overweight.
I wasn't aware of just how much the weight charge was. $20/1,000 pounds. Wow. Thank you for that Ken! The extra expense of the registration seems well worth it, rather than getting into trouble.
I may be over-reacting, but I know that any F350 Dump Truck requires DOT now because the GVW is over 10k pounds...Lame! Just as satwood posted in his thread! I'm sorry for you guys!
I was just wondering how other people have handled their DOT situations. Or, if other people have had experiences with registered weights and towing.

Thank you for your insight Ken!

BIGKEN 01-10-2010 07:17 AM

My understanding is that you can't carry more than the truck is rated for...no matter how much you register it for.

I'm pretty sure that the truck and trailer are weighed seperately...and...if you don't exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating...you're OK. You need to research this number to get your true hauling/towing capacity.