Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Worn Leather Steering Wheel Cover ... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/918339-worn-leather-steering-wheel-cover.html)

98SurplusExpy 01-06-2010 07:55 PM

Worn Leather Steering Wheel Cover ...

1 Attachment(s)
The "black color" on the leather steering wheel has worn away on my 2006 Lariat; the leather is still smooth on most of the worn spots and only "rough" at the most heavily worn spot at the 12 o'clock position. The truck spent the majority of it's life in the Texas sun .. you can see the damage in this picture:

Attachment 204027

A new steering wheel (P/N 5C7Z-3600-CBA) runs $336.45 form the best online Ford Parts Dealer that I can find.

I did find a place in Dallas, TX that does an exceptional job at recovering steering wheels ... "Dallas Custom Steering Wheel" ... but these guys want $250 +shipping to do the job.

So I think I'm gonna try to re-dye it myself. I've located two vendors with "kits":

Leather Magic; Leather Recoloring Kit ... $49.95

Leatherique; Steering Wheel Kit ... $25.00

Has anyone tried this or have a familiarity with these brands?

F350-6 01-06-2010 08:51 PM

That's another reason I've always avoided the Lariat. I don't like leather seats or steering wheels.

I don't know how long the dye would last. Another option, especially with your dash, would be to upgrade the wheel. Here's a link to what my wife did to her truck. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6855987

2002 F350V10 01-06-2010 09:25 PM

Here is a better solution. Hands down the best replacement is the combo wood and leather wheels sold on ebay where they redo an oem wheel. You send yours back after the swap. My 02 F350 had a cheapo wheel with a small diameter and a cheapo feel. I bit the bullet and swapped it for what I described. Huge difference. Then I did the same swap on a work 99 ex. fantastic. Then I was at the pick a part yard and got a leather wheel for an 01 F250. The worst feeling and looking wheel was that one. Going to swap it again for what I described. Easy swap accomplished in 1/2 hour or so.

msalyer 01-06-2010 10:35 PM

Black liquid shoe polish works wonders. I bought an old Corvette once that the wheel looked WAY worse than yours. I figured I had nothing to loose so I used sandpaper on the real rough spots (gently) and a couple coats of the polish. Turned out quite good. It faded a bit in a year or so and another coat fixed it up again. saved a lot of $$$$$.

98SurplusExpy 02-04-2010 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As a follow-up ... I ended up sending the wheel to get recovered.

The leather pro's I contacted said the cover was too far gone to re-dye ... mostly 'cause it was worn to the point that it was "suede" in places.

Don Le @ Dallas Custom Steering Wheel did the recovering .. it was pricey, but I can say that it looks equal to, if not better, than factory. The shop has my recommendation :-X22

Attachment 203944

Attachment 203945

redford 02-05-2010 01:25 AM

Looks real good. How long did they have your steering wheel?

98SurplusExpy 02-05-2010 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by redford (Post 8469961)
Looks real good. How long did they have your steering wheel?

Two days to do the work ... the rest was shipping time (NC / TX). I sent it out on 1/25 and got it back on 2/4.

labrown 02-05-2010 11:17 AM

How is the steering wheel removed? How is the Horn/Airbag removed? I am having a problem with my horn. It goes off on it's own. Had to pull the fuse on the side of the road last month. I'd like to look at it but don't know how it is removed.

Thanks in advance.....

98SurplusExpy 02-06-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by labrown (Post 8471494)
How is the steering wheel removed? How is the Horn/Airbag removed? I am having a problem with my horn. It goes off on it's own. Had to pull the fuse on the side of the road last month. I'd like to look at it but don't know how it is removed.

Thanks in advance.....

:-hijacked

To remove the Airbag ...

- Disconnect battery (both batteries if Diesel).
- Turn on Light Switch for about a minute or so; also press brake pedal. This will purge any remaining energy in the system.
- Pry off the two little covers on the back side of the steering wheel.
- Using a 8mm socket (1/4" Drive) w/ 4" extension, remove the two bolts that were behind the covers (will have to look in the holes to see bolts).
- Carefully pull Airbag away from wheel & disconnect the two electrical connectors
- Hope that the Airbag does not blow in your face

- To install, reverse procedure ... tighten bolts to 9 lb-ft or 108 in-lb

To remove Steering Wheel ...

- Use a T-50 Star socket and remove the center bolt holding the steering wheel to the column. Workshop manual instucts to discard the bolt & replace with new.
- Use a gear puller (do not bang with hammer) to remove the steerig wheel from the column stem.
- Disconnect one electical connector & remove wheel

- To install, reverse procedure using new bolt. Tighten to 28 lb-ft. (note ... column stem splines will only allow steering wheel to go on one way.)

Fordfanatic4life 02-06-2010 12:22 PM

wouldnt removing the power from the system, make it so the airbag has no way to trigger ??

i'm thinking of having my wheel swapped out at some point, cuz my wheel is very much like your original, but i wanna hold out for one of those Ebay wheels, with the sectional carbon weave treatments.

since my interior has the factory carbon look inserts having the wheel to match would be a nice upgrade, and i like the look to boot.

FX4 5.4 02-06-2010 12:29 PM

by any chance do you wash your hands with gojo or fast orange? these types of products eat away at a leather steering wheel. My dad is a mechanic and washes his hands frequently with gojo and ruined the leather steering wheel in his dodge in about 2 years

98SurplusExpy 02-06-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by FX4 5.4 (Post 8476583)
by any chance do you wash your hands with gojo or fast orange? these types of products eat away at a leather steering wheel. My dad is a mechanic and washes his hands frequently with gojo and ruined the leather steering wheel in his dodge in about 2 years

Nah ... the wheel on my truck got a taste of the Texas / Mexico sun. :-X06

Fordfanatic4life 02-06-2010 02:51 PM

mine was worn when i bought the truck, but it must have seen alot of hiway miles in a row, cuz it has alot of mile for a newer truck.

200K miles in 5 years, when i got it. seems like it must have been used as a RV hauler alot. esp given the fact it had a 5th wheel/trailer combo together when purchased from teh owner. i didnt buy the 5th wheel thou.

98SurplusExpy 02-06-2010 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life (Post 8476566)
wouldnt removing the power from the system, make it so the airbag has no way to trigger ??

That's for the "how to remove the airbag" description ... you'll wanna depower the Airbag before removing. Of course, it should be reconnected once reassembled to the wheel and before the batteries are reconnected.

Nice Work Truck 02-07-2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2002 F350V10 (Post 8331820)
Here is a better solution. Hands down the best replacement is the combo wood and leather wheels sold on ebay where they redo an oem wheel. You send yours back after the swap. My 02 F350 had a cheapo wheel with a small diameter and a cheapo feel. I bit the bullet and swapped it for what I described. Huge difference. Then I did the same swap on a work 99 ex. fantastic. Then I was at the pick a part yard and got a leather wheel for an 01 F250. The worst feeling and looking wheel was that one. Going to swap it again for what I described. Easy swap accomplished in 1/2 hour or so.

Do you have a link for the site?