Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Ford Expedition cheaper than Chevy Suburban.WHY? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/917198-ford-expedition-cheaper-than-chevy-suburban-why.html)

FordF350Superduty 01-03-2010 02:58 PM

Ford Expedition cheaper than Chevy Suburban.WHY?

Hi guys! Some people ask me why Suburban more expensive then Expedition?That means Chevy is better quality,reliability and etc.What should I say them?Is it true?

jimandmandy 01-04-2010 09:41 AM

The Tahoe is the direct competitor to the Expy, not the Suburban. The Excursion was Ford's failed attempt at the Suburban market. The Suburban sits on a longer wheelbase and has three-row seating as an option, making it more useful, IMO. My kid has an older 'burban and its great for haulding grandkids and lots of stuff. They got a government surplus model with van-type rear doors in "Border Patrol" green. Great fun cruising the Home Depot parking lot!

Another answer might be the fact that Ford offered a lot of low payment leases to move a lot of Expeditions. In the end that always hurts resale.

Jim

Fordfanatic4life 01-04-2010 07:00 PM

u need to compare the Expedition MAX to a Suburban...

the reg wheelbase Expedition is shorter...

have them recheck the prices...

i wouldn't own that chevy even for free..

FordF350Superduty 01-04-2010 10:26 PM

yeah,thanks guys,you right the real competitor to Suburban is Excursion.Still looking for Exp.

powerstroke72 01-06-2010 03:05 AM

The Expedition competes against the Tahoe and Yukon but the Expedition EL or Max competes against the Suburban:

Expedition:

http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/1...AEA71362-1.jpg

Expedition EL / Max:

http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/co...640_001_UG.jpg

Monsta 01-06-2010 03:11 AM

Suburbans have additional money added to help pay back the taxpayers. Ford's DON'T.

Monsta 01-06-2010 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by jimandmandy (Post 8318894)
The Suburban sits on a longer wheelbase and has three-row seating as an option, making it more useful, IMO.

FWIW, the Expedition has 3 rows of seats standard and the Sub and Tahoe/Yukon twins do as well. The option would be a third row "delete" on fleet models.

57fomoco 01-19-2010 08:56 PM

One of the best features that the Ford Expedition and Expedition El have over the Suburban and Tahoe is the folding flat rear 3rd row seats. If you have the third row seat on the Chevy's and you don't need it you have to remove it from the truck, the ford you just have to lower it flat. but better than that is the fact that they are bail out money free. It was a mistake to quit making the Excursion because it was a lot better than the 3/4 ton Suburbans.

jimandmandy 01-20-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 57fomoco (Post 8392350)
... It was a mistake to quit making the Excursion because it was a lot better than the 3/4 ton Suburbans.

Apparently the market didnt think it was "a lot better". Im not clear why there needs to be an enclosed SUV with a large pickup payload rating. If you carry passengers and gear, the "1/2 ton" models are fine, and if you really need to carry serious cargo inside, an Econoline is a far better choice.

I think the only reason for it was to have an SUV with a diesel, due to different emissions standards under/over 8500lb GVWR.

Jim

SMIGGS 01-20-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by jimandmandy (Post 8394136)
Im not clear why there needs to be an enclosed SUV with a large pickup payload rating..

IMO the payload rating is just icing on the cake. I was in the market to buy an Excursion purely on the fact that they are VERY roomy inside and I can haul alot of gear in the back that won't get wet or freeze. All this AND being able to use the 3rd row!

If you carry passengers and gear, the "1/2 ton" models are fine, and if you really need to carry serious cargo inside, an Econoline is a far better choice.

Ironically my Freestar minivan can haul more gear than my 00 Expedition.
I don't think Econolines come with 4x4 as an option do they?

jimandmandy 01-21-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by SMIGGS (Post 8395586)
I don't think Econolines come with 4x4 as an option do they?

I see quite a few of them around, but I think they are aftermarket conversions. Again, its a problem, like manual transmissions and the Excursion itself, of sales volume to justify it for a big company like Ford.

Jim

dkf 01-22-2010 09:12 AM

A 4x4 Econoline is an aftermarket conversion only. A dealer in Jersey stocked a lot of them a couple years ago. An XLT E350 6.8l with the 4X4 conversion stickered over $50k. The vans are not even close to the plushness of the Excursion and Ford has always treated the e-series like its red headed retarded step child. When the Excursion came out back in 2000 it still had more power than the current E-series does.

The press and people in general always slammed the Excursion for being a huge gas guzzler because of its dimensionally larger size than even the Suburban. The thing is the Excursion was no worse on fuel than the Suburban with the 454 or 8.1l. The bad press and overall media love for GM is what helped put the nail in the Excursions coffin in my eyes. If a 2 door version of the Excursion would have been offered it would be in my driveway now, the 4 door was just overkill for my use, both in room and price.

MisterCMK 01-22-2010 09:17 AM

Apparently the market didnt think it was "a lot better". Im not clear why there needs to be an enclosed SUV with a large pickup payload rating. If you carry passengers and gear, the "1/2 ton" models are fine, and if you really need to carry serious cargo inside, an Econoline is a far better choice.

I think the only reason for it was to have an SUV with a diesel, due to different emissions standards under/over 8500lb GVWR.

Jim

Think towing. There are a lot of people who tow large boats or large RVs that the Excursion worked well for.

jimandmandy 01-22-2010 10:19 AM

Towing alone does not justify a 9000lb GVWR (Different from GCWR, the tow rating). Somehow, EPA rules, or how the automakers implement them, eliminate V-10's and big V-8's in light duty emissions classifications. Passenger cars used to do most of the recreational towing, back when you could get a 440, 454 or 460. Towing doesnt justify 4x4 so that is a separate requirement. There is simply not a big enough market for two SUV's that combines available 3-row seating, 4x4 and diesel or V10 power. Those are the arguments you guys are giving for the Excursion and 2500 Suburban.

Yes, my kid has a 2500 4x4 Suburban, but with the 5.7 gas engine. No way would they have bought it new. A 1500 would have suited them much better, but it was a government auction. The heavy springs and big, expensive tires make it ride like a Conestoga wagon.

Jim

MisterCMK 01-22-2010 08:39 PM

Consider the curb weight of an Excursion at 7,700lbs and that leaves you with 1,300lbs of payload. Lets assume that you have 4 grown adults, there is 800lbs. Toss in the tongue weight of the trailer and cargo and you can easily see how it adds up.

Comparing passenger from the 60s and 70s to SUVs of today is silly. Obviously there was not enough of a market for it now because the truck is not made anymore. I can certainly see why they would make one though.