Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   missing spare removal rod? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/916162-missing-spare-removal-rod.html)

goatsniffer 12-31-2009 01:53 PM

missing spare removal rod?

Any ideas where the rod for lowering the spare might be hid on an '03 F-250 4x4 Super cab? I found the jack under the back seat, the book says it is in the engine compartment like every other Ford I have owned. Thing is I don't even see the brackets where it would usually clip into. I bought a 21mm socket and break over bar for the lugs, but I can't lower the spare. Planning on replacing my shocks this weekend and thgt removing the spare might make the rears more accessable.:-X09

bpounds 12-31-2009 05:32 PM

I have a supercab and my lug wrench and rods for lowering the spare are in a pouch. Pouch is clamped to the floor under the rear seat, near where the jack is located. Thing is, I'm not certain that an '03 would be in the same place.

But the question is, do you have the key? There is a special socket type thing, called a key, which is required to lower the spare. If you don't have it, you have to either get one or modify the truck to not need one. It's supposed to be in your glove box, but they always seem to go missing on used trucks. Search for "spare tire key" and you'll find lots of threads.

As for the winch rods, those are no big deal if you don't find them. Standard ratchet extension rods can be used in a pinch.

rugerman 12-31-2009 05:41 PM

In my 02 the rod & lug wrench are on the radiator, key is in the glove box and jack is behing the rear seat on the passenger side.

denverhank 12-31-2009 07:46 PM

My '03 KR had the rod in a pouch behind the rear seat, along with the jack and lug wrench. Spare tire key was in the glove box.

Davidcmay 12-31-2009 08:08 PM

I too did not have a spare tire rod to lower the spare. If you can't find the key, and the spare is not there, you can remove the key by pulling the "lifter assy" down and pulling out the key. the key on mine came out fairly easy and I am able to use the rod without the "Key"

95FordTruck02 01-02-2010 10:33 PM

My '02 SC has the jack under the back seat and the lowering rod and tire iron strapped on top of the radiator.

Easy place to access, but gotta watch out cause its one hot tool after the engine has been running.

Tom Rivers 01-02-2010 11:05 PM

Mine is in a pouch behind the rear seat and yes it's way easier to do the shocks without the spare, You can actually sit up under there

goatsniffer 01-04-2010 08:13 AM

Yes I have the key. it is in the operating manual book in the glove box. I found a rod from a F-150 my uncle had. Got my shocks replaced on New Years day, it was much easier with the spare out of the way.

Thanks again for all the ijnfo and Happy New Year!