Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Truck was broken into, quarter glass window needs replaced (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/915927-truck-was-broken-into-quarter-glass-window-needs-replaced.html)

BlackNGoldRules 12-30-2009 06:10 PM

Truck was broken into, quarter glass window needs replaced

I need some advice guys. Someone recently broke into my ranger destroying the quarter glass window on the passenger side rear door of my supercab. Well, I've been quoting some prices to have it replaced and the average price has been around $400 or more. I can't believe it's that expensive for that tiny little window! My deductible is $250. I was thinking the price wasn't even going to reach the deductible but I was dead wrong on that. Anyway, is there a way I can get a used window and have that put on instead? I want to find the cheapest sollution possible for this. Thanks for any advice.

Rockledge 12-30-2009 06:20 PM

If you can find one at a wrecking yard you can even do the repair yourself.

To remove the quarter glass window: remove the interior trim to gain access to the window fasteners and unscrew them, then cut the sealant around the window with a razor knife, and it should right pop out.

BlackNGoldRules 12-30-2009 09:39 PM

Are there any tutorials or some kind of instructions on how to remove and replace the window? Maybe I will try and do it myself if it's not a complicated thing to do. Better then spending $250.

Rockledge 12-31-2009 12:08 AM

Check out: Removing Ranger Quarter Glass Window

Your gonna need a T-50 "torx" socket for the seat belt.

BlackNGoldRules 01-01-2010 01:30 AM

Could you tell me what the best way is to remove the cover that goes over the bolt on the seat belt? I don't want to break it trying to get it off. Thanks.

Rockledge 01-01-2010 10:40 AM

Are you talking about the belt guide cover? At the widest part of the cover pull the sides out a little and then push up. The cover should pop off the bolt head, and swing open (there is a hinge at the end).

BlackNGoldRules 01-02-2010 07:37 AM

Thanks for all the info. Another question to bug you with, does it matter what temperature I do this in? I'm asking that because of the new sealant I'll have to apply. If I do this on my own it's going to have to be outside in the cold. Right now, temps are going to be below freezing here for at least the next several days. Thanks.

Rockledge 01-02-2010 08:47 AM

Did you pick up the sealant yet? Most products like that have on the label a temperature range for proper installation.

michigan66 01-02-2010 10:02 AM

Is just the glass broken or is the framing of the window also damaged? If it is just the glass, can you undo the fasteners that go through the glass and get replacement glass at a salvage yard. If that is the case, the replacement job will be much simpler and can be done in any temperature.

BlackNGoldRules 01-02-2010 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by michigan66 (Post 8309842)
Is just the glass broken or is the framing of the window also damaged? If it is just the glass, can you undo the fasteners that go through the glass and get replacement glass at a salvage yard. If that is the case, the replacement job will be much simpler and can be done in any temperature.

I actually haven't even started yet but from what I can see it's just the glass of the window that is broken. So, I can just take the window pane out and put the used one in without having to cut the old sealant out and reapply the new stuff? The diagrams and instructions help a lot but I guess I'll have to get started on this and see everything for myself since I've never done this before.

BlackNGoldRules 01-04-2010 03:23 AM

Another question, once I get the bottom part of the seat belt off, is it just a matter of prying the panel off with a crowbar or long screwdriver? Is there a certain way to do this so I don't crack or break anything on the panel? Thanks.

BlackNGoldRules 01-05-2010 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by michigan66 (Post 8309842)

OK, I got the door panel off finally. Looking at the window, where are the fasteners that you are talking about and how can I get to them to just remove the glass itself? All I can see is the 4 screws coming through with the nuts that screw off of them. I guess that would remove the whole thing. How can I get to the fasteners so I can leave the frame part of it on? Is it possible with that kind of window?

BlackNGoldRules 01-11-2010 02:19 AM

Sorry to start an old thread back up, but I found a used quarter glass window and managed to get the old one off of my truck. I bought 3M Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane to apply to the window that I'm about to put on. Is this good enough to use? In that link that shows how to install and uninstall the window, it says to use a urethane sealant. Is what I described considered a urethane sealant? It just says super fast urethane so I just want to make sure I'm using the right stuff for this. Thanks.

Fordsflylow 01-11-2010 05:20 AM

Reads like you have the right stuff.

reddog99 01-12-2010 09:54 PM

The pdf spec sheet for the Super Fast Urethane says, "Please note that bonding is not recommended below 40°F.".