Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Heated and cooled seat has stopped working on my 07 Expy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/915776-heated-and-cooled-seat-has-stopped-working-on-my-07-expy.html)

CarbonClear 12-30-2009 10:40 AM

Heated and cooled seat has stopped working on my 07 Expy

As the the title stated my 2007 Expy has developed a problem with the heated and cooled seat on the drivers seat. I checked underneath the seat to make sure if everything was secured and none of the connections were loose.

Currently the damn thing has me baffled because of what is happening. If I press the switch on the console, I can get either the cool lights or heat lights to show me two or one indicator lights. The lights will stay on for about 10-20 seconds and then shut off. After the lights turn off, if I press the buttons again I can can only get the indicator lights to turn on for a brief second and then turn off. It seems that the switch won't engage.

Has anyone else here come across these symptoms on the heated/cooled seats? I was wondering if there is a repair/service manual for our trucks, either online or a book?

Any form of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

CarbonClear 01-07-2010 01:12 PM

Any of the gurus have any ideas?

gpfarrell 01-07-2010 03:04 PM

No guru here, but until somebody smart speaks up....

I'd have to think the dash switch trips a relay that activates the heat. I'm sure all the electrical current required to heat the seat doesn't buzz through that little dash switch.

So you hit the button from a cold start and the lights come on. But I think you have a short or overload that trips a circuit breaker after 15-20 seconds. Then, when you hit the switch again, the light blinks while the relay momentarily grounds, but the breaker has been tripped so the system won't stay on.

After everything cools down the breaker resets but you still have a short or overload someplace.

Please stand by for a proper guru to make an appearance.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about electricity other than to keep the insulation on the wires so all the power doesn't leak out and zap the guy holding the wires! :eek:

berry1234 01-07-2010 04:07 PM

TSB 07-21-6

10/29/07
CLIMATE CONTROL SEAT FUNCTION
INOPERATIVE - NO COMMUNICATION - DCSM -
VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 8/31/2007

FORD:
2007-2008 Expedition

LINCOLN:
2006 Zephyr
2007-2008 KZ, Navigator

ISSUE
Some 2007-2008 Expedition and Navigator, 2006 Zephyr and 2007-2008 MKZ vehicles built before 8/31/2007 and equipped with climate control seats may exhibit inoperative heating and/or cooling. There are no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) associated with this issue and IDS/PDS will not communicate with the dual climate control seat module (DCSM).

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Turn the ignition switch to key on engine off (KOEO) position.

2. Run self test on DCSM.

a. If DTCs are present do not continue with this TSB, follow normal Workshop Manual (WSM) diagnostics for the DTCs.

b. If no communication with the DCSM, proceed to Step 3.

3. Remove power to the DCSM and wait a minimum of 2 minutes. This will reset the DCSM.

^ Expedition/Navigator - remove Fuse 8 in the battery junction box (BJB).

^ Zephyr/MKZ - remove Fuse 11 and 12 in the BJB.

4. Reinstall the fuse(s) and recheck for communication.

a. If communication does not return, refer to WSM, Section 418-00.

b. If the communication is restored by resetting:

(1) Expedition/Navigator/2008 MKZ - reprogram the DCSM to the latest calibration using IDS release 51.4 or later with patch 7. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

(2) 2006 Zephyr/2007 MKZ - replace the DCSM.

5. Recheck operation of the heated/cooled seat and for DTCs. If no DTCs return the vehicle to the customer.

Parts Block
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

072106A 2007-2008 0.5 Hr.
Expedition/Navigator/2008
MKZ With Climate Control
Seats Built Before
8/31/2007: Reprogram The
DCSM, Includes Time For
The Diagnosis Described
In The Service Procedure
(Do Not Use With 12650D
12651D, 12651D4)

072106A 2006 Zephyr, 2007 MKZ: 1.0 Hr.
Replace DCSM, Includes
Time For The Diagnosis
Described In The Service
Procedure (Do Not Use
With 12650D, 12651D,
12651D4, 63100A)

CarbonClear 01-07-2010 04:30 PM

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner.Bot%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5C msohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner.Bot%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5C msohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0pt 5.4pt 0pt 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0pt; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Originally Posted by gpfarrell (Post 8335052)
No guru here, but until somebody smart speaks up....

I'd have to think the dash switch trips a relay that activates the heat. I'm sure all the electrical current required to heat the seat doesn't buzz through that little dash switch.

So you hit the button from a cold start and the lights come on. But I think you have a short or overload that trips a circuit breaker after 15-20 seconds. Then, when you hit the switch again, the light blinks while the relay momentarily grounds, but the breaker has been tripped so the system won't stay on.

After everything cools down the breaker resets but you still have a short or overload someplace.

Please stand by for a proper guru to make an appearance.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about electricity other than to keep the insulation on the wires so all the power doesn't leak out and zap the guy holding the wires! <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:13.5pt; height:14.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner.Bot\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cl ip_image001.gif" o:href="http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies/eek-2.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:eek:<!--[endif]-->

<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks for the reply.:-X03
Berry1234,
Thanks as well for responding. Since the truck is out of warranty. Is the repair something that can be done outside of the dealership? And if it can any special equipment is needed?
Also is there a service manual available for our trucks? I just turned 43k on the expy and I’m still in love with my daily driver.
Thanks!:D

berry1234 01-07-2010 04:52 PM

Try this.
3. Remove power to the DCSM and wait a minimum of 2 minutes. This will reset the DCSM.

^ Expedition/Navigator - remove Fuse 8 in the battery junction box (BJB).

4. Reinstall the fuse(s) and recheck for communication.

If this fixes it good. If not, I am affraid its a trip to the dealer. The DCSM is a box under the seat, it may need to be replaced.

There are many Ford service manual DVD's on ebay for cheap. Great resource.

gpfarrell 01-07-2010 08:52 PM

Carbon Clear,

Glad to hazard a guess, but I think Berry is on the right path.

I didn't notice the rest of your motorpool earlier... we have a bit in common except your stuff is newer and we haven't gotten around to buying an Expedition yet. Some day soon! I'm happy to hear you like yours so much, especially given the other goodies you enjoy!

Cheers,
Greg

CarbonClear 01-12-2010 01:44 PM

Greg- Thanks for the kind words:-drink

berry1234 01-12-2010 01:49 PM

Did you try pulling the fuses?

CarbonClear 01-12-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 8357783)
Did you try pulling the fuses?

Berry- tried it, but now I'm getting what sounds like a vibration or fan rattle under the driver seat. Not sure what the heck is happening.

I really don't want to take the truck to the dealer, if I can avoid it. I think I'm going to cringe when I hear the dealer tells me its a couple hundred dollar fix.

Berry- in order to remove power to the dcsm, do I need to disconnect the module under the seat or is there a simplified way of doing it?

Thanks
Mario

berry1234 01-12-2010 02:25 PM

The fuses should cut power to the dcsm hence the resetting. But if your getting a vibration and or noise my bet is the fan blades broke, or the motor gear broke. Made with cheap plastic I am sure.

CarbonClear 01-12-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 8357927)
The fuses should cut power to the dcsm hence the resetting. But if your getting a vibration and or noise my bet is the fan blades broke, or the motor gear broke. Made with cheap plastic I am sure.

Well I reset the fuses twice. Now the switch will stay on, but I'm getting what sounds like a fan clicking noise. It seems to me that its coming from the bottom rear of the seat (looks like the last wire harness closest to the rear passenger seat).

Berry- in order to replace the fan motor or motor gears, I'm suspecting that I'll need to tear the seat apart?

Mario

berry1234 01-12-2010 02:50 PM

That I could not answer. I would assume you would have to remove the seat at the least. This would allow you to tilt it so you can see under it better and pinpoint the noise and find the fan.

FamilySTL 01-28-2010 05:04 PM

did you ever find a solution to the problem? Our 2007 Expedition started the same thing yesterday....

gr8dain 01-29-2010 05:50 PM

Did not work for me.

My 07 Expy started doing this last week. I just tried to pull the fuse and left it out for five minutes. Unfortunately, no luck for me.

It is happening to both of my front seats. Is there a DCSM for each seat or does one control both? If there are two, it does not seem likely that they would both go bad together.

And my lights come on for about one second then go off. I will plug my scanner on over the weekend to see if I get any codes, but I doubt I will. Looks like a trip to the dealer if I don't have luck with that.

If anyone has any other ideas, I am listening. Thanks a lot in advance.

Dain