Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   ford 289 Engine help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/913875-ford-289-engine-help.html)

54truck 12-23-2009 11:47 AM

ford 289 Engine help

Hi all got a 289 ford v8 engine in my truck which has'nt been started for 5 years. It all turns over nicely buy hand and was running good 5 years ago.
so changed the plugs and leads and got a new starter motor for it. But it wont turn over fast enough to start, but if i take the plugs out it turns over quick. so could any body help?? where am i going wrong?? Dont want to take the motor out and strip it. I also change the oil and filter.

havi 12-23-2009 12:07 PM

How do the points look?

ALBUQ F-1 12-23-2009 12:18 PM

Slow cranking, especially if it slows every time a cylinder fires, can be due to too much timing advance. It may be firing as the piston is still coming up the hole.

vbarker 12-23-2009 12:47 PM

Ross has an excellent point. We presume you also are using a fulling charged battery.

Julies Cool F1 12-23-2009 01:21 PM

But also, if it hasn't been run in five years, you need to "re-oil" all the moving parts.

Remove the spark plugs and squirt a little transmission fluid in each cylinder. Then, with the plugs out, crank it over for about 10 seconds, let it sit for a minute or two then crank it for ten seconds again. The two minutes is to prevent overheating of the starter motor.

This will draw oil up out of the pan and shoot it into the bearings and rings. It will also relubricate your seals - that's important because you don't want to start it up with those dry.

This will exercize all the moving parts while not under the stress of compression and also ensure your fuel pump has drawn fuel from the tank and has filled the carb (unless the needle valve is stuck).

If you have an oil pressure gauge repeat this until you start to see the oil pressure come up.

Then reinstall the plugs and try again. Should be fine.

54truck 12-23-2009 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 8273582)
Slow cranking, especially if it slows every time a cylinder fires, can be due to too much timing advance. It may be firing as the piston is still coming up the hole.

Hi ok thanks how can i check this does anyone have a diagrame??
yep the battery is fully charged. and i cleaned the points.

52 Merc 12-23-2009 01:25 PM

Timing advance was also my first guess. Another is internally corroded battery or starter cables. Cables can look good on the outside but be full of corrosion on the inside, especially if sitting a long time, not allowing the amperage needed to pass thru to the starter, causing slow spinning under load.

ALBUQ F-1 12-23-2009 01:25 PM

Just rotate the dizzy to retard it a little, leave the pinch bolt loose. As you crank it, see if it changes speed or starts to catch as you rotate it a little each way. Or you could use a timing light to actually set it to the correct value. (Can't go wrong with 4 BTDC)

52 Merc 12-23-2009 01:37 PM

Retarding the spark would be turning the dizzy anti-clockwise. It just needs to turn a couple cm's to make a difference. (I noted you're in the UK) ;)

54truck 12-23-2009 01:40 PM

your all so helpfull on this site thank you i will look in to it. yep im in the uk.

jim collins 12-23-2009 03:35 PM

8D Remove the coil wire from the coil That go's to the center of the cap, remove the distributer cap and lay to one side. have somebody crank the engine a few turns as you observe the points to see if they open and close, you will see a spark each time they do. Or have one of your buddys hold on to the spark plug wire as you crank it and he will tell you if you are getting spark to the plugs. L.O.L. Second thought maybe don't do the last suggestion. :-missingt

Jag Red 54 12-23-2009 05:55 PM

And, as if you don't have enough things to check, how about the cable between the starter and the solenoid? It's down low and can start to corrode up inside the sheath on the starter end. Another idea: Did you check the engine grounds? They may also be corroded. Good luck, Jag

49fordpickumup 12-23-2009 06:42 PM

Nothing has been said about old gas, gas filter and tank rust, etc. chuck

52 Merc 12-23-2009 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup (Post 8274812)
Nothing has been said about old gas, gas filter and tank rust, etc. chuck

That's because that while these things can be a problem, they are not causes of slow engine speed turnover when trying to start the engine, which was the original complaint. ;-)

49fordpickumup 12-23-2009 09:15 PM

He said it was running 5 years ago. I wouldn't think most likely anyone moved the dist. He replaced the starter. Moisture could have been the cause for its failure, so I suspect the tank may have moisture. Even on a slow turnover with spark and fuel it should have tried to start, bucked, something. A set of jumper cables would have eliminated the battery and cables and maybe the slow start. Just trying to cover what hasn't been reviewed. merry xmas, chuck