Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   High Pressure power steering hose (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/912901-high-pressure-power-steering-hose.html)

jetdoc 12-20-2009 12:00 PM

High Pressure power steering hose

Hey all! My high pressure power steering hose just blew at the "B" nut at the pump. Meaning, the fitting is still in the pump but the line is out. Do I need to replace the whole line or is there a retainer I can swap out? Many thanks!

Duncan

bfife 12-20-2009 04:16 PM

I'd say the whole line.

big poppa 12-20-2009 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bfife (Post 8263112)
I'd say the whole line.

X2, wouldn't cut corners with hose connections like that. They shouldn't be that much.

hienergy557 12-20-2009 04:58 PM

That nut is available from the Ford dealer here in Australia, it's the same as the one used on our Falcon. It's a nut with a o ring seal and a clip inside, once it is put on it shouldn't come off, you have to carefully grind the nut to remove it and put on the new one. But also our trucks are right hand drive, done by Ford Brazil for Ford Australia.
I would think the connection to the pump is the same LH drive or RH drive.
Cheers Colin.

Bergerson 12-20-2009 06:15 PM

I had to buy the whole line when mine blew on me last summer, list price from ford was around $85.00 I got it for $60 and some change

swaybar 12-20-2009 07:11 PM

i replaced mine last summer also, forget the cost but like it says "high pressure". i think you'd be best off with a new one

jetdoc 12-21-2009 11:28 AM

Thanks for the input guys.....It looks like it's swaged on there but a new line was only 34 bucks at NAPA. I was backing up in two feet of snow trying not to hit my neighbors truck when it blew. I must have been too close to the stop.

I will say this though....It jerked the wheel right out of my hand when it happened! Luckily for me I was close to home.

Thanks again!

Duncan

Tinker2 04-26-2010 01:08 AM

Can anyone tell me why Ford uses that pressed on fitting over an o-ring on the pump end, and a flared fitting on the steering end? Why not use a flared fitting on both ends? I'm getting tired of replacing that dang hose!! I've replaced it 4 times in 6 years. The last time was last week, and the time before that was 7 months ago.

torreador250 01-15-2011 04:16 PM

2003 F250 5.4L 4X4

I can't get a wrench on my high pressure line nut on the pump. The pulley wheel is in the way for starters, but its so tight, I don't see how I'd turn the wrench if i got it on there. Is there anything else I need to remove to get at that line?

gradyc 01-15-2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tinker2 (Post 8815190)
Can anyone tell me why Ford uses that pressed on fitting over an o-ring on the pump end, and a flared fitting on the steering end? Why not use a flared fitting on both ends? I'm getting tired of replacing that dang hose!! I've replaced it 4 times in 6 years. The last time was last week, and the time before that was 7 months ago.

Oversized tires? My truck is 10 plus years old, with oem wheels, and never had a problem with the ps hose,

PaulDH 01-15-2011 05:25 PM

More Info on the Ford PSP High Pressure Hose

Check out this Thread for additional information on the defective design of the factory Ford PSP High Pressure Hose.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ring-line.html

I'll be upgrading my PSP to a Saginaw-style GM pump, an also adding a hydraulic ram power assist, but I'm running 40" Nitto Mud-Grappler tires, and will need the extra power.

However it's common for the Ford Factory PSP high pressure hose to blow out of the fastening nut at the connection with the Ford PSP. There's an itsy bitsy retaining clip that wears down over time and when it finally fails, the High Pressure Hose is then allowed to blow free of the retaining nut - a design weakness and flaw IMO.

big poppa 01-15-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDH (Post 9829402)
Check out this Thread for additional information on the defective design of the factory Ford PSP High Pressure Hose.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ring-line.html

I'll be upgrading my PSP to a Saginaw-style GM pump, an also adding a hydraulic ram power assist, but I'm running 40" Nitto Mud-Grappler tires, and will need the extra power.

However it's common for the Ford Factory PSP high pressure hose to blow out of the fastening nut at the connection with the Ford PSP. There's an itsy bitsy retaining clip that wears down over time and when it finally fails, the High Pressure Hose is then allowed to blow free of the retaining nut - a design weakness and flaw IMO.

Very good info there about the clip, reps sent on this problem.. Scary stuff. Any pics available of this design flaw??

PaulDH 01-15-2011 11:05 PM

:-lamesignHere's a picture of Ford's high pressure PS hose snap ring/C-clip that let loose on a neighbor's F250 recently. That itsy bitsy snap ring on the right is the only thing holding the male steel ferrule end of the hose to the retaining nut. It's not even made out of steel. Made of a brass or copper or bronze type of metal. These snap rings wear away over time. The loss of snap ring material is visible on the bottom of the snap ring in this photo. In addition, a good portion of this snap ring is entirely missing - from 07:30 to 11:00 hrs. Failure occurs when the snap ring wears to the point that it can no longer restrain the PS hose from blowing free of the retaining nut that secures it to the PS pump. Causing this: :-X13 All your tranny fluid pukes out of the power steering system.
The vehicle owner initial response will be this: :-hair
After some analysis of the problem, and figuring out what a worthless POS PS Hose Ford designed for their PS pump, you'll be doing this: :-X15

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9...hosecclip2.jpg

riverrat41 01-16-2011 09:19 AM

Mine blew off Tuesday evening.Bought a replacement hose from Autozoo.Yes,it is a PITA to get that 90 degree started in the side of the pump:-X09.

DavidE 01-18-2011 03:46 PM

Thanks for headsup Guys. Do you need any special tools,orings or other parts to change this hose? I want to carry with me so would appreciate part #s. Thanks :)