Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Ok, Maybe I'm Dsyl,Deslek,..turned around. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/912005-ok-maybe-im-dsyl-deslek-turned-around.html)

ZekeD 12-17-2009 12:26 PM

Ok, Maybe I'm Dsyl,Deslek,..turned around.

I have been looking for the block heater cord on my '07 F350 crew cab Offroad, and was about to conclude that I needed a new cord.

I found the OEM type has a spiral covering and a lot of attachnebt "nibs" and the cheapest cord looks like a re-used christmas tree extension.

So I sprung for the OEM after looking all over the front of the truck, but when I got to the plug from underneath.....It is NOT in the freeze plug at all, but back on the Starboard (right from the driver's seat) side of the engine.

And there IS a cord already there. It leads under the Starboard battery, and is coiled up nicely there.

OK HERE IS THE QUESTION: Is the 3 prong plug supposed to be on the starboard or port side? If Starboard, why dont they use all of the Nibs to secure the loom? My plug comes out even with the lights in the bumper on the Starboard side, but it does not use any of the nibs

Monster-4 12-17-2009 12:42 PM

I can't answer your question but your subject line made me laugh!

EDIT: And welcome to FTE.

ZekeD 12-17-2009 12:47 PM

Laughin' is good...

Thanks Mike..... Best to you and yours.

Zeke

Wagion 12-17-2009 12:47 PM

Dyslexic

I had to look it up =) such an ironic word.

Maybe they just forgot?

BillyBob69 12-17-2009 12:56 PM

Noone really knows what some of the designers at ford were drinking when they set up these trucks. Mine originally was on the port side, (left for you non navy guys), but when the end went bad, I bought a 3-prong black, heavy duty, outdoor extension cord and wired it in so that now it is located in the same opening as my starboard tow hook, (Non navy guys can figure that one out...hopefully). Where it is located is really up to you if you want to add to it, move it, or just replace it for something better. I know my oem 3 wire cord did look alot like what you mentioned...reused christmas tree extension. The cord I put in was of larger gauge wiring so it can handle the amps without problem as well as the road grime and weather. Just remember to wire correctly for the cord. white, black and green. Bad things can happen if it isn't wired right and you plug it in. :O

bpounds 12-17-2009 01:08 PM

On 6.0 trucks, it is supposed to be accessible from the passenger side tow hook opening. I have no idea why yours was rolled up.

senix 12-17-2009 02:05 PM

same as the 08, right there on the passenger side tow hook

powerstroke72 12-17-2009 04:36 PM

Same here on my '05....right by the right tow hook. Probably somebody on the production line forgot to run it down to the bumper during assembly of the truck. It was probably coiled up like that when the engine was put in the truck and then just forgotten.

bayou barataria 12-17-2009 06:44 PM

Is that port looking at it from the stern or the bow?

bpounds 12-17-2009 06:58 PM

Right = American passenger side

ZekeD 12-17-2009 08:31 PM

My XO told me (repeatedly) that it does not matter.....

Zeke

jdadamsjr 12-21-2009 09:08 AM

Always loved that right, left side stuff.....

My 1st response was... it depends on which way u are facing :)

So, for us non navy guys.... port is on the side the port is on ?

Which side is that ?>>> :)

Oh and all 3 of mine had the cord on the front passenger side of the radiator....
hard to see the black cord in the back hole covered in black tape, but it was there !

ZekeD 12-21-2009 12:05 PM

For the non-Navy guys....

"PORT" and "LEFT" both have 4 letters.....

"Right" and "Starboard" don't.

Port used to be "Larboard" but it was too easily confused....
As for Confused:

For you Army guys its 3pm
For you Navy guys is 1500
For the Marines Micky's big hand is on..........

SailCO26 12-21-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by bayou barataria (Post 8252730)
Is that port looking at it from the stern or the bow?

LMAO!

I race sailboats, and once sent a crewmember to the cabin to fetch something, told him it was in the Starboard setee. Mo-ron looks up out the companionway (facing aft) and says "My starboard or yours?".

Even my GF busted up laughing at that one...

And yes, we STILL give him rations of grief for that.
:-X01

F350-6 12-21-2009 06:36 PM

So how come there's no name for the middle part of the boat? And why won't you tell me where Mickey's hand is. :)