Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   95 F250 4.9 ignition problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/909406-95-f250-4-9-ignition-problems.html)

DieselMoak 12-08-2009 11:22 PM

95 F250 4.9 ignition problems

I sure could use a hand with this one. I have a 95 F250 4.9 with MT. The truck just quit. I'm not getting any fire from the spark plug wires. I tested the coil and it passed. I tested the module and it passed. I replaced the stator because i didn't know how to test. I am still not getting any fire, nor ground break at the coil. What now???????

88n94 12-08-2009 11:35 PM

Do you have power to one of the small terminals on the coil with the ignition switch turned ON? If you do I would go ahead and replace the coil anyway even though it tested good.

What do you mean you're not getting any ground break at the coil?

DieselMoak 12-08-2009 11:43 PM

I have power to both coil terminals. With a test light i probed the tach side of the coil, then turned the engine over. If my ignition components were jiving then the test light should have flashed as the engine rotated, indicating the intermitent power break from the coil.

88n94 12-09-2009 12:03 AM

I don't think you should have power to both small coil terminals. The one side just goes to the distributor. I wonder where that power is coming from?

DieselMoak 12-09-2009 12:13 AM

Beats me ?!?%(#%&)(#

subford 12-09-2009 08:58 AM

Power on both sides is what you want. The power on the tach side comes through the coil.
Unplug your computer and see if the spark returns.

DieselMoak 12-09-2009 11:46 PM

Unplug the computer or the module? Thanks

subford 12-10-2009 06:46 AM

Unplug the PCM Computer.
You can also unplug the SPOUT jumper sometimes but if the IDM input in the computer is bad this will not help.
So it is best to just unplug the PCM Computer.

You need the ICM (Ignition Control Module AKA TFI) for the spark but you do not need the PCM Computer for spark.
The PCM Computer can stop the spark from happening.

The engine will not start with the PCM Computer unplugged as the injectors will not fire. But you could spray starter fluid into the intake and it may fire with the PCM computer unplugged.

Also note that bad wiring from the PCM Computer plug to the ignition system can also stop the spark also if it is shorted to ground.

DieselMoak 12-13-2009 02:34 PM

You were right on the money. I unplugged the ECU and spun the engine over and i had fire. I sprayed a little starting fluid in, spun it over again and it cranked. WOW.......... yall really know your stuff arround here. I appreciate all the help, and maybe i can be of some help to yall in the future. I'm a diesel man for CAT. I only work on engines. I also work on alot of 7.3's on the side. Hopefully i can contribute. Thanks again :D

subford 12-13-2009 07:06 PM

Sounds like you have a bad PCM (ECU) computer then.