Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Over-drive questions in re-guards to towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/907915-over-drive-questions-in-re-guards-to-towing.html)

6CylBill 12-04-2009 02:20 PM

Over-drive questions in re-guards to towing

Hey fellas. I have my own towing question. I might be using the old Ford to tow a relatively light load this weekend. I'm going to Ohio to pick up some things.

I know Ford says we shouldn't tow in Over-drive. Is there a weight limit to go by, as in, If the load is light enough could I keep my truck in Over-drive? I would really prefer this. I will get you guys real weight numbers here in a little bit as to what I'll be towing. My truck is geared low and I would hate to drive the 4 hours with my engine singing at 3,000 rpm at 55 mph. That's sucking down a lot of fuel for going so slow.

Is it okay to kick the truck into OD on flat ground? If I see a hill or mountain coming up, I can manually kick it out of OD. Would this be advisable?

By the way, I know if I put taller tires on the back I would effectively help lower my highway rpm's but I just can't afford that right now.

Thanks folks. Any info is good info! I'll try and lookup how much the trailer will weigh

darthice 12-04-2009 02:34 PM

honestly i wouldnt advise it at all i have the same option on all that and when i tow even something small i turn off my od

hav24wheel 12-04-2009 02:40 PM

I use OD when I'm towing from time to time.. I usually figure if it will hole OD with the criuse set, its fine to be towing in that gear.. But IF your towing , say another pickup, or car I wouldnt. But something lite like a little camper or a couple atvs I would say its ok.. Just dont let it shift in and out alot.

1OldFordMan 12-04-2009 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 6CylBill (Post 8203298)
Hey fellas. I have my own towing question. I might be using the old Ford to tow a relatively light load this weekend. I'm going to Ohio to pick up some things.

I know Ford says we shouldn't tow in Over-drive. Is there a weight limit to go by, as in, If the load is light enough could I keep my truck in Over-drive? I would really prefer this. I will get you guys real weight numbers here in a little bit as to what I'll be towing. My truck is geared low and I would hate to drive the 4 hours with my engine singing at 3,000 rpm at 55 mph. That's sucking down a lot of fuel for going so slow.

Is it okay to kick the truck into OD on flat ground? If I see a hill or mountain coming up, I can manually kick it out of OD. Would this be advisable?

By the way, I know if I put taller tires on the back I would effectively help lower my highway rpm's but I just can't afford that right now.

Thanks folks. Any info is good info! I'll try and lookup how much the trailer will weigh

I did that before on a '94 Dodge I had. It had the 360 & towing package. I towed a FULLY stuffed U-Haul trailer ( largest available, 6 x 12 I think ) & the back of the truck was full too.Went from St. Louis to Springfield, Mo. I left it in OD on the flat / down hill. However, it had probably less than 50,000 miles at the time. I bought it new & kept it up. Had the tranny fluid & filter changed about 35,000. Had to sell it, had 99,3xx on it when I sold it. No problems, the guy I sold it to is still driving it today. They're happy with it & not interested in selling ( I know. Before buying Old Rusty I asked ). Think his wife uses it for a daily driver. Would I try the same thing with Old Rusty? I don't know. He's a lot older & I don't know how well he's been maintained. From what I saw, not very well.

6CylBill 12-04-2009 02:49 PM

Okay thanks guys. Appreciate it. I think I'll try it in OD and see how it does. If the ole' girl kicks in and out of OD a lot I'll just keep her out of OD and suck it up.

BCHauler 12-04-2009 03:13 PM

I'd advise against it. I tried that the first time I towed with my truck and it ended up costing me $3300 for a tranny rebuild and a bus ride home for the family.

LCAM-01XA 12-04-2009 03:13 PM

That's an E4OD in there, right? Yeah, you can tow in OD with it, the loads that will hurt your trans will make that small truck unstable and cause you to either slow down or lose control well before any trans damage occurs ;) Still, would be real nice if you got some external cooler for it... By the way I tow in OD every time, I only stay out of it on uphills (cause of no turbo) and downhills (cause 3rd gives me better engine braking) - on mostly level ground I go straight into OD, lock the converter, set the cruise, and enjoy my CDs while happily cruising along at 1900-2000 rpms (57-60 mph) :D

Conanski 12-04-2009 03:24 PM

The E4OD is rated to tow in OD unlike the other autos, but I have towed plenty with my AOD trucks in OD with no ill effects though it was nothing bigger than a loaded dual snowmobile trailer or 20ft boat.

Milwaukee1979F150 12-04-2009 03:29 PM

You can do

but watch rpm and listen if it surge like lock then out lock converter.

Use cruise control I wouldn't dare to use if road is hill it will push more gas then it downshift.

I drive 96 E350 van with 3.55. Must keep off overdrive because it get in overdrive at 45 mph mean we cruise at 45 so it shift like crazy so we turn off and leave until we reach 55 mph.

darthice 12-04-2009 03:36 PM

My e4od shifts into od at 45 but at highway speeds it shouldnt be a problem having it in od

thePUNISHER 12-04-2009 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by darthice (Post 8203518)
My e4od shifts into od at 45 but at highway speeds it shouldnt be a problem having it in od

really it depends on the weight. the e4od is a heavy duty trans but the o/d planet is realtivly weak and not designed to sustain heavy loads assocaited when towing in O/D. thats when they fail and when they fail it makes a big mess!

use your best judgement. if in doubt..... i recommend towing with o/d off even it means compromising fuel economy.....

there is a better planet available made of steel.....

darthice 12-04-2009 04:24 PM

ok listen to punisher he is a pro when it comes to trannys

cutsrock 12-04-2009 05:06 PM

o/d off. Like thePunisher says it make a big mess.

6CylBill 12-04-2009 05:30 PM

Yeah, it's an E4OD. Thanks for the replies everyone. =)

Looks like I won't be using this truck for the tow anyway. We just brought home a '98 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V6 magnum - we'll be using it for the tow job. I was disapointed at first but I think the load would be so light it wouldn't prove anything anyway.

Alright I'm gone, thanks!!

6CylBill 12-04-2009 05:47 PM

Well this is somewhat amusing. I was leary about introducing a Dodge into the family. It has low miles. It felt very solid.

However, it already has a problem.

It does not blow any heat.

It is Winter. It's cold.

Looks like we might be taking the Ford afteral.